Work hours cut due to ObamaCare

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Are we talking about the same industry that legally gets away with paying their employees as little as $2 a hour?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Another example of jobs destroyed by horrible government.

Yeah. Before jobbing as waiters and buss boys, these people held jobs on Wall Street when GW was pres. So maybe this goes back a few years before Obamacare?
None of these low wage workers could have first been high wage earners, once upon a time in GW land.
You remember? When we were losing millions of jobs a month.
Like the economy was flourishing under the previous bone heads.
And now they want to elect a new and wealthy bonehead.
Regardless of what faux news tries to brainwash their viewers with, 1 + 1 still equals 2.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Ps.. And what's the big stink here anyway??.?
Just do as Mittens suggests. Quit your waiter job, borrow money from old mom n daddy, and open your own restaurant.
Or borrow from old mom and pops and go back to college.
Simple. Case resolved.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Service employees usually get shafted by their employers anyway, and they make poverty line wages. Nothing new here.

Instead of going to the emergency room for health care with Obamacare they will be able to get medicare if their employer is a tightwad, and the result of them being insured is lower costs for everyone.

Obama care isn't perfect but it is a hell of a lot better than the status quo.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Service employees usually get shafted by their employers anyway, and they make poverty line wages. Nothing new here.

Instead of going to the emergency room for health care with Obamacare they will be able to get medicare if their employer is a tightwad, and the result of them being insured is lower costs for everyone.

Obama care isn't perfect but it is a hell of a lot better than the status quo.

Who do you think pays for medicaid/medicare?

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Hey... I used to have a shitty "part time" job while in college that only gave me 39 hours a week every week, because they would have to offer me overtime and benefits if I worked 40 or more.

You know what my solution to this "problem" was? I got my degree and got a better job. Maybe these restaurant workers should do the same thing! If Olive Garden and Red Lobster can't get decent employees anymore for minimum wage and no benefits, maybe they'll start offering better pay and benefits.

Great idea! Now where does the money come from for college? Mountains of debt? An AS degree is worthless these days, you need a BS to even begin to compete. And to get a BS at the absolute cheapest you'll be doing 2 community plus 2 university. Now where does someone making 25k a year get the cash to go to all of that? Most people of that income level can barely keep their heads above water anyway.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I suspect that Olive Garden and Red Lobster can get people to work. some may be willing to put in more than 40 hrs per week.

The problem is that the people they have had their hours cut because of the ObamaCare rules.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Of course they wont own it. I said this years ago that we should let the liberals destroy the country.

No we shouldn't. It doesn't suffice to only be a prophet of doom and then say I told you so. That's what I don't like about Ayn Rand.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
What does that actually mean though?

Republicans don't want single payer. Their input is meaningless at this point.

I don't want any system- yet. Did you see "don't let politicians interfere..."? Lets do the work and then determine what our options are. Are there other options than to have the status quo or giving control to Ryanbiden and Obaromney? I can think of some but what politician is going to think outside his partybox? Indeed, which of them has the time and equivalent cumulative knowledge and experience of the body I propose? None.

To say that the reps won't act does not mean the dems will do so wisely. If their supporters approve of their limited abilities in all things we are screwed and THAT is why we are sinking. Hold the other side responsible and ours get a pass. What an illogical way to run things.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
How many full timers do those places employ?

In food service I would think the only full timers would be management and corporate.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Who do you think pays for medicaid/medicare?

The cost to the tax payer will go down with Obamacare. Businesses don't want to insure their employees, you don't want the government to do it, so you would rather poor people go without medical treatment as they do now, then go to the emergency room when a crisis happens, as they do now?

You will pay either way. But with Obamacare people will have access to preventative care, collective bargaining for rates and prescriptions and the emergency room will be open for emergencies.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
The cost to the tax payer will go down with Obamacare. Businesses don't want to insure their employees, you don't want the government to do it, so you would rather poor people go without medical treatment as they do now, then go to the emergency room when a crisis happens, as they do now?

You will pay either way. But with Obamacare people will have access to preventative care, collective bargaining for rates and prescriptions and the emergency room will be open for emergencies.

Wow, thats awesome. I'm particularly thrilled that Obamacare is going to set contract prices with drug companies so medication costs less. When does that happen? I can't seem to find this good news.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

How can the cost to the taxpayer go down if the taxpayer is covering the cost of the insurance.
The receiver does not control the costs of services.
The government refuses to negotiate and lower the costs of drugs as it is.
It is the drug manufacturers, large pharmacy chains and the existing insurance companies that have worked to pull down many of the co-pays to $4.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
How can the cost to the taxpayer go down if the taxpayer is covering the cost of the insurance.
The receiver does not control the costs of services.
The government refuses to negotiate and lower the costs of drugs as it is.
It is the drug manufacturers, large pharmacy chains and the existing insurance companies that have worked to pull down many of the co-pays to $4.

One correction. Pharmacies can't do anything to change copays. Unlike hospitals and physicians they cannot engage in any collective bargaining. The FTC ruled that violated anti trust laws. From the point of compensation pharmacies have no negotiating power and are lowest on the food chain of all health professions.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Wow, thats awesome. I'm particularly thrilled that Obamacare is going to set contract prices with drug companies so medication costs less. When does that happen? I can't seem to find this good news.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/04/politics/fact-check-senior-drugs-costs/index.html

"We were actually able to lower prescription drug costs for seniors by an average of $600," Obama said during his debate with GOP challenger Mitt Romney. He went on to say that if Obamacare were repealed, "those seniors right away are going to be paying $600 more in prescription care."

The facts:

Nearly 5.4 million Medicare recipients saved more than $4.1 billion on prescription drugs as a result of the Affordable Care Act, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in an August news release.

"Seniors in the Medicare prescription drug coverage gap known as the 'donut hole' have saved an average of $768," she said.

The law helps make Medicare prescription drug coverage more affordable.

Last year, people with Medicare who reached the donut hole got a 50 percent discount on covered brand-name drugs and a discount on generic drugs.

Recipients will pay less and less until 2020, when they will be responsible for only 25% of the cost of their drugs until they reach the yearly out-of-pocket spending limit, according to a 2010 posting on healthcare.gov by Jonathan Blum, director for the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Conclusion: Seniors, on average, would pay the $600 cited by Obama -- and then some, according to Medicare figures, if the Affordable Care Act was not in place.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...medicare-to-negotiate-for-cheaper-drug-price/

He's trying. Give him a Democrat house and senate with a super majority.

"The Obama administration only has so much control over that, but I doubt Congress is going to pass it," said Lee Goldberg, vice president of health policy for the non partisan National Academy of Social Insurance.

Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., has introduced a bill that would repeal the ban on negotiations, but it is stalled in the Senate Finance Committee.

The administration included as part of its fiscal year 2013 budget a narrower proposal allowing Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices in the same manner as the Department of Veterans Affairs. It would allow Medicare beneficiaries who are also covered by the income-based Medicaid to receive the same rebates that Medicaid receives for brand name and generic drugs.

But this, too, seems unlikely to happen given the near-gridlock in Congress.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
One correction. Pharmacies can't do anything to change copays. Unlike hospitals and physicians they cannot engage in any collective bargaining. The FTC ruled that violated anti trust laws. From the point of compensation pharmacies have no negotiating power and are lowest on the food chain of all health professions.

True that the pharmacies can not adjsut the co-pay.

However, many of the pharmacies have made it such that a person is able to get many drugs for $4 where the original prices a few years ago was much higher if paying without insurance.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The cost of drugs for the Medicare were reduced or only within those that hit the gap in care costs?

Or did the gap close a little?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/04/politics/fact-check-senior-drugs-costs/index.html

"We were actually able to lower prescription drug costs for seniors by an average of $600," Obama said during his debate with GOP challenger Mitt Romney. He went on to say that if Obamacare were repealed, "those seniors right away are going to be paying $600 more in prescription care."

The facts:

Nearly 5.4 million Medicare recipients saved more than $4.1 billion on prescription drugs as a result of the Affordable Care Act, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in an August news release.

"Seniors in the Medicare prescription drug coverage gap known as the 'donut hole' have saved an average of $768," she said.

The law helps make Medicare prescription drug coverage more affordable.

Last year, people with Medicare who reached the donut hole got a 50 percent discount on covered brand-name drugs and a discount on generic drugs.

Recipients will pay less and less until 2020, when they will be responsible for only 25% of the cost of their drugs until they reach the yearly out-of-pocket spending limit, according to a 2010 posting on healthcare.gov by Jonathan Blum, director for the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Conclusion: Seniors, on average, would pay the $600 cited by Obama -- and then some, according to Medicare figures, if the Affordable Care Act was not in place.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...medicare-to-negotiate-for-cheaper-drug-price/

He's trying. Give him a Democrat house and senate with a super majority.

"The Obama administration only has so much control over that, but I doubt Congress is going to pass it," said Lee Goldberg, vice president of health policy for the non partisan National Academy of Social Insurance.

Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., has introduced a bill that would repeal the ban on negotiations, but it is stalled in the Senate Finance Committee.

The administration included as part of its fiscal year 2013 budget a narrower proposal allowing Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices in the same manner as the Department of Veterans Affairs. It would allow Medicare beneficiaries who are also covered by the income-based Medicaid to receive the same rebates that Medicaid receives for brand name and generic drugs.

But this, too, seems unlikely to happen given the near-gridlock in Congress.

Good idea. Lets have the military run the health care industry out of our local Post Offices and existing military VA medical facilities, with free medical education for young people who want to serve in exchange for a middle class income guarantee and pledge of commitment.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
True that the pharmacies can not adjsut the co-pay.

However, many of the pharmacies have made it such that a person is able to get many drugs for $4 where the original prices a few years ago was much higher if paying without insurance.

thats true. Walmart pharmacies are loss leaders, and therefore are designed to lose money. Not everyone cab do that.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I suspect that Olive Garden and Red Lobster can get people to work. some may be willing to put in more than 40 hrs per week.

The problem is that the people they have had their hours cut because of the ObamaCare rules.

You have never worked a service industry job have you?

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
If you had you would know, working service you are getting screwed already. Your employer will not give you any benefits. You will be payed the minimum possible. You will get no overtime unless there is an emergency that demands it, although half the time you are expecting overtime you will find that their 'pay calander' doesn't conform to the laws of nature and in fact you did not work overtime according to it.

Last edited:

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
And what difference does it make?

If you had you would know that most of the scheduling managers are under extreme pressure to keep as many of the hourly workers under 40 hours a week for benefits/insurance purposes already. Get the most work done, with the fewest workers working, the least amount of hours possible, paying them the minimum possible amount. It isn't anything new and I'm certain it has been pointed out several times already in this thread.
You ignoring this fact and continuing your attemp to blame this practice on changes coming down the pipe for ACA is completely asinine.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
If you had you would know that most of the scheduling managers are under extreme pressure to keep as many of the hourly workers under 40 hours a week for benefits/insurance purposes already. Get the most work done, with the fewest workers working, the least amount of hours possible, paying them the minimum possible amount. It isn't anything new and I'm certain it has been pointed out several times already in this thread.
You ignoring this fact and continuing your attempt to blame this practice on changes coming down the pipe for ACA is completely asinine.

What I am doing is blaming ObamaCare for forcing people to get their hours cut to stay under the full time limits.

that is the issue; not what other benefits that they might/might not have based on their work status.

It is that what ever hours that they presently are working will be reduce to allow the employer to not be required for the health insurance benefit that the ACA is requiring.

Whether it be 1, 5, 10 or 15 hours lost per week because of this fiasco is punishing the worker.