Work hours cut due to ObamaCare

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Link

Darden Restaurants Inc., the parent company of Atlanta area eateries Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse and Bahama Breeze, is cutting hours of full-time workers to shift them to part-time in an effort to reduce costs associated with health care reform.

So if they cut 30 hrs from workers and add an additional worker - does this count as a net gain for employment (part time worker) or a loss for the existing workers due to ObamaCare rules?

It is not anything w/ respect to the economic conditions but strictly due to governmental mandates on how a business is to be run :thumbsdown:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Link

So if they cut 30 hrs from workers and add an additional worker - does this count as a net gain for employment (part time worker) or a loss for the existing workers due to ObamaCare rules?

It is not anything w/ respect to the economic conditions but strictly due to governmental mandates on how a business is to be run :thumbsdown:

Surely the idiot in chief and his minions will tout it as jobs created.

Another example of jobs destroyed by horrible government.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
no surprising. i expect more places to do this actually.

and yes the government will say this is a bonus saying more jobs created. even though its at a loss of full time jobs...

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Makes you wonder how many other unanticipated consequences there will be as the result of Obamacare. Business people, despite what our dear leader thinks, know how to work the system. They did build it and they had to learn along the way how to make end runs around the slew of roadblocks our government puts in their way.

The bigger question is would this have occurred without Obamacare? Would full time employees have become part time employees? I imagine opinions will fall directly along party lines.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Makes you wonder how many unanticipated consequences there will be as the result of Obamacare. Business people, despite what our dear leader thinks, know how to work the system. They did build it and they had to learn along the way how to make end runs around the slew of roadblocks our government puts in their way.

The bigger question is would this have occurred without Obamacare? Would full time employees have become part time employees? I imagine opinions will fall directly along party lines.

Like any public policy there will always be unintended consequences. This mandate will be creating new ones for years as it comes online. So far it appears we have a de facto tax on the middle class and more part time workers who dont fall under Obamacare. You cant make this shit up. The people it was designed to help may be hurt the most by it.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Like any public policy there will always be unintended consequences. This mandate will be creating new ones for years as it comes online. So far it appears we have a de facto tax on the middle class and more part time workers who dont fall under Obamacare. You cant make this shit up. The people it was designed to help may be hurt the most by it.

yeah. as i said when people were fighting for it .i am all for the idea of it. but obamacare i didn't like how they pushed through and the tax's.

expect to see more business's do this (a few posters, i was one said this would happen). At least in areas its possible. i don't see it happening at big office places.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
That's assuming you believe it was designed to actually help anyone... which I don't.

That is true, it is possible they designed it to force us to bow before the altar of big govt. But I think most people on the outside believed it would help the middle class that cant get health insurance.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Sucks for those workers. I worked food service for 8 years, there's not many full-timers to begin with at restaurants like that, and they're not payed what anyone here would consider "well" for all the shit they have to deal with.

PSA, steer clear of Red Lobster...

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
The survey, which was conducted by national insurance brokerage Mercer, found that 67 percent of retail and hospitality employers are inclined to change their workforce strategy in some way so that fewer employees meet the 30 hours a week threshold for being insured.

I remember when I worked in a restaurant back in HS and College that no was scheduled for more than like 37.5hours/week. I assume to avoid ending up having to pay overtime.

Its almost like busineses are smart.

EDIT: But what do you expect from people who have never worked a real job in there life?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Link

I don't know, but one thing's for sure.

If business owners cut employees because of additional overhead of Obamacare, it can only be because they're greedy bastards.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
That idea was to be expected from people the wrote the legislation and had no business experience.:colbert:

Agains showed how divorced from reality the politicians are in general.
Ivory thrones.

You can not expect a small business (and the restaurants essentially a small business) to pick up the tab of $4-8K per worker.

The costs get passed to the customer or the worker eats it (one way or another).

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The backers of this farce will blame everyone else but themselves for their lack of foresight. Rather than insisting on well researched apolitical solutions, they beat down other voices for this. Well they own it now. Most likely they'll want to do the wrong things harder to correct what they failed to anticipate.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Doesn't sound like they were providing health care plans to these workers prior to Obamacare. Shame on them.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The backers of this farce will blame everyone else but themselves for their lack of foresight. Rather than insisting on well researched apolitical solutions, they beat down other voices for this. Well they own it now. Most likely they'll want to do the wrong things harder to correct what they failed to anticipate.

Of course they wont own it. I said this years ago that we should let the liberals destroy the country. The problem is once destroyed they wouldnt own the ashes they created.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
At least Obama would leave it alone. Romney wants to "repeal it and replace it" rather than actually abolish it. Romney is recycled and highly toxic waste that is going to cause Washington to melt... he is not a natural person, but I hope I'm ahead of him. To summarize with in different words... I don't want any part of Rome or the US govt, in any way ever again.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

If business owners cut employees because of additional overhead of Obamacare, it can only be because they're greedy bastards.

duh. of course business owners are greedy bastards. that's why we start a business in the first place. to make money.

why would someone go through all the stress, and risk if they aren't?

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Of they do not have the slack to pick up the cost.

20 employees can add up to more than $100K in overhead.

The cost difference comes from the customer, employee or employer.

The employer may not have the slack to pick up the costs.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
This obvious solution is more mandates.

1. Cover part time employees.
  2. Price controls.
  3. ???
  4. Profit!
Sí, se puede!

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Doesn't sound like they were providing health care plans to these workers prior to Obamacare. Shame on them.

The costs of providing plans were to expensive.

Any idea what the costs of a basic health plan that you may have costs your employer?