work dress code

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
i'm a system administrator for a small (30 ppl) HR company... i've worked summers here when I was 17 and 18 and now at 22 i'm hired full-time...

what i really like about this job is that I'm allowed to wear my piercings (3 visible) and have long hair. I also don't have to shave at all and usually look kinda scruffy... i usually just shave my stache and let the rest of my facial hair run rampant... oh and i never tuck my shirt in! :p

good times... feeling and dressing comfortably really makes you more productive at work, or at least on ATOT... ;)

what about you guys?

rsd

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2003
good luck getting a real job in the corporate world looking like that (though it is cool that your current job lets you look like a slob :) )

Edit: Wasn't trying to be too harsh, but just honest. If you go to an interview and look "inappropriate" I guarantee it will hurt your chances all things being equal.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
My boss is pretty cool, but the director of HR told me not to wear my "I solve my problems with violence" T-shirt anymore.

Feb 10, 2000
I'm a litigation attorney and I wear jeans and a polo shirt much of the time. Whenever I have a client meeting or hearing I wear a suit, but that's the minority of the time.

OpenThirdEye

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2004
It's very casual where I work! Now that it's colder out, it's jeans and hoodies every day. :) I'm also allowed to keep my piercings in: both lobes, industrial, and labret. I keep the open-ended U-shaped retainer in my septum tucked away during the day. The labret really doesn't show through very much since I have a soul patch that covers it up for the most part.

If there's a meeting/presentation I need to give or I'm in the public eye, all the metal comes out and it's a suit.

EDIT: I'm a Fed and don't get treated any differently for my appearance. Although I do crack the occasional joke that I keep the industrial in to get better cell phone reception. :)

L

Lola

I am in a position that we have to look presentable. I work with the public and so we need to look nice. It is an office setting yet we have a business casual dress code.
Jeans on friday... not a big deal.

MoFoEd

Nov 15, 2005
Eh, I work for the federal gov't, only thing visible on me is my eyeborw peircing and my long hair, besides that I know enough to come in with a tie and shirt tucked in. Most other IT guys here work in Jeans and sneakers, then again i work for the director's office here. At least they are tolerent of my long hair (tied back) and piercing. Sometimes I come in jeans, but usually with a dress shirt as well. No one has noticed my tongue peircing yet or they just ignore or tolerant of it. Not too bad.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
My boss is very cool, but I am pretty conservative in how I dress though.
I used to even wear a tie, but I stopped doing that after the director came in and said I didn't have to wear such formal clothes unless I have to do some CJ stuff.

Now, I intermix with dress shirts and polos and on Fridays I may come in in jeans and a tshirt/polo.

Most people here dress pretty casually though unless they do CJ stuff.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
i could never take u seriously looking like that.

I could never take anyone seriously who thinks that they can substitute the letter "u" for the word "you" and doesn't bother to capitalize the word "i"

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
yeah most IT guys specially working for small companies are allowed to be kinda lax with the whole tshirt and jeans thing going...
i can't get away with that though...

no offense taken but i don't think i look too much like a slob really... i don't have any problems shaving, its just easier this way... plus it means i get to sleep in more... :p but yeah i see what you mean... well the whole point of this job is just to put some money away while im at uni (night class) so its all good! there's absolutely 0% chance of a career in this company since its HR and i'm a 1-man IT department... but its good on the CV i guess for later!

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
business casual here, no need to shave. boss dont care unless your out of the dress code.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I wear jeans, a button up shirt, and sandals to work everyday. I shave once a week. I'm a firm believer that people are more productive when they're comfortable.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: DaShen
My boss is very cool, but I am pretty conservative in how I dress though.
I used to even wear a tie, but I stopped doing that after the director came in and said I didn't have to wear such formal clothes unless I have to do some CJ stuff.

Now, I intermix with dress shirts and polos and on Fridays I may come in in jeans and a tshirt/polo.

Most people here dress pretty casually though unless they do CJ stuff.

and CJ would be.....????

Originally posted by: acemcmac

I could never take anyone seriously who thinks that they can substitute the letter "u" for the word "you" and doesn't bother to capitalize the word "i"

burn! :p
i guess someone isn't using the new firefox spell checker... :laugh:

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
We don't have an enforced dress code, but I usually wear business clothes to work at a small law firm. I guess it helps me take the work more seriously. *shrug*

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Khakis and a button down, add a tie for customer meetings, jeans on Fridays. If you are working out in the shop (engineering company), you can wear pretty much anything since you get all dirty anyway.

TheChort

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
being a teacher, I find it necessary to show up to work in my ski clothes every once in a while just to keep my students on their toes.
Hmmm, maybe today i'll go with my pirate costume from halloween :D

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: acemcmac

Luckily I recognize and distinguish between formal writing situations such as reports, memos and emails that are inherantly business related and informal writing situations such as IM, personal email and off-topic forums. I would never bring my informal writing style into a formal writing environment. Just as I wouldn't present myself as an unshaven slob in a business meeting. However, I would not think twice about looking that way while at the gym. You too can make this discernment with some practice.

EPCrew

Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: rsd
good luck getting a real job in the corporate world looking like that (though it is cool that your current job lets you look like a slob :) )

Edit: Wasn't trying to be too harsh, but just honest. If you go to an interview and look "inappropriate" I guarantee it will hurt your chances all things being equal.

I work in a corporate environment. I can wear anything that I want. Jeans, sneakers, hats, shorts, t-shirts, earrings. Casual dress is company policy. That is, unless you work in upper management or deal with clients.

DarrelPowers

Banned
Oct 24, 2006
I think my office dress code is pretty normal. Business casual and a little more casual on fridays. I tend to push it a bit and wear sneakers on fridays (gosh I'm a badass).

Funny thing is though, I work on an engineering team as an intern, and the interns tend to be much more well dressed and groomed than the older employees, especially the drafters...

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
our dress code just covers clothing, as far as i know

we have men with beards and pony tails and stuff

walkur

May 1, 2001
No real dress code(My Iron maiden shirts are no problem), unless clients are expected on the workfloor, in that case it's casual (Iron maiden shirts still no problem).

300+ emp market research company

mobiblu

May 30, 2005
i work in a small software developing company... I come to work in tee-shirt and jean when it's warm, added a thick jacket when it's cold.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: mobiblu
i work in a small software developing company... I come to work in tee-shirt and jean when it's warm, added a thick jacket when it's cold.

that's what I'd like to do ideally... work in a small software development place and be casual and just kinda worry about getting the job done..

i hate dealing with tech support...

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Work for a defense contractor, so we are around customers all of the time. So I usually wear slacks or khakis, then a dress or polo shirt. Only jeans last Friday of the month. :(