Word of Advice: Don't Change Your Mind if you've already sent in an RSVP.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Grrr.... So, as many of you know, I'm getting married this weekend.... Roughly 100 people at a decent amount of money per person, paid for mainly by my fiancee and I.

RSVP cards were due on March 1st.

We had the final meeting with the caterer yesterday morning, we needed the final count, the seating chart, etc.. We also had to pay the caterer based on the final count, they charge per person...

So anyway, yesterday afternoon, i'm talking with a friend of mine online (who RSVP'ed for him and his GF) and i ask if his girlfriend is flying it. Well, he tells me then that she can't come, even though he sent in his RSVP for two well over a month ago... He also implied that he himself didn't know if he was sure if he was coming... 1 down

Then today, i get a call from a family member who couldn't find a flight to town for a good price, so they can't come either, even though they sent in their RSVP that they were coming. 2 more down

Finally, another family member calls my mom to tell her that she can't come, and neither will her husband because she isn't feeling well, even though the wedding is 3 days away and they weren't coming into town until the day of... 2 more down...

That makes 5 people who we've paid for, but now aren't coming. The caterer doesn't do any refunds once the final count is in.

I know I know, in the grand scheme of the whole wedding, 5 people is nothing, but still, its rude this late in the game. We spent quite a bit of time mapping out where to sit people, getting hotel rooms, paying for crap... etc...

Just a heads up to those of you who have never thrown a party like this before, if you RSVP to an event, try your best to actually go, cause it sucks knowing how hard we worked to get this all together, only to find out that we just wasted a few hundred dollars for no reason at all...

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
so basically you are inviting all of us OT'ers that can make is , since you'll have extra food

sweet!!! thank you!! :sun:

randomint

Banned
Sep 16, 2006
Originally posted by: aphex
That makes 5 people who we've paid for, but now aren't coming. The caterer doesn't do any refunds once the final count is in.

what's the problem then? can't you do a headcount at the wedding and let them know?

L

Lola

I feel your pain. It annoys me to no end when things like this happen. A small inciendent like this will screw up things like seating charts, catering issues, etc.

The only thing i can tell you is let it go, and focus on the inpending excitment!!!
Edit: also, you never know if someone who RSVPed as one guest might bring a date so its always good to have a bit extra room if need be!

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: randomint

what's the problem then? can't you do a headcount at the wedding and let them know?
No, we can't. At the final meeting yesterday, they needed a final count, at which point they worked up the bill (based on a set price x number of guests attending) and we wrote them a check.

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001

dont think it works like that, they need to prepare the food prior...

i think having people bail at and big event like this in inevitable

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
so basically you are inviting all of us OT'ers that can make is , since you'll have extra food

sweet!!! thank you!! :sun:

lol, well i dunno, some of you guys scare me :D :beer:

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: AUMM

dont think it works like that, they need to prepare the food prior...

i think having people bail at and big event like this in inevitable

Absolutely, we were kinda expecting a few people to have things crop up, still dosen't make it suck any less :)

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
So just start inviting other friends and things that liv ein town that can come. No sense paying for people who arent' there.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
oh, sorry, i don't think i can make it, my water heater is acting up, i'll have to cancel

soory!! maybe someone else can get there, good luck cowguy

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
So just start inviting other friends and things that liv ein town that can come. No sense paying for people who arent' there.

Thought about that, but I dunno if that would come off as rude. "Hey, you wanna come now? Sorry you didn't make the first cut"

I dunno, we thought about it....

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
My wife and I got lucky with our reception and rehearsal dinner. We ended up having some people that weren't able to make it to both events but the caterers only charged us for the number of people that showed up. That obviously helped us save some money. The people that didn't show up didn't really effect the seating charts in the grand scheme of things.

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
So you will have some leftovers. Freeze em and eat em.

Lets not forget what is important that day.

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
we actually had similiar happen, since most of our guests were from out of town. So we had some of my husband's sister's friends on standby. They were invited to the reception, after dinner, unless seats opened up for them. :) Since they werent really our friends it worked out well for both parties. The meals we paid for were eaten, and they got to party :)

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: BornStar18
My wife and I got lucky with our reception and rehearsal dinner. We ended up having some people that weren't able to make it to both events but the caterers only charged us for the number of people that showed up. That obviously helped us save some money. The people that didn't show up didn't really effect the seating charts in the grand scheme of things.

Very cool, wish it were the same for us...

The place we rented is fairly small, so seating was a big issue since some people had to go in a side room, attached to the main room, but still a side room nonetheless...

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Ramma2
So you will have some leftovers. Freeze em and eat em.

Lets not forget what is important that day.

I know I know, its trivial... But im cranky from having so much crap left to do and needed to vent :)

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: sygyzy
How could you not anticipate this as part of your planning?

We kinda thought if people had decided not to come after they sent in the RSVP, they would at least have decency to let us know in a reasonable time... Not 3 days before the wedding... I dunno, maybe i just expect too much from people sometimes...

Also, as i said earlier, its expected that this would occasionally happen, but dosen't make it suck any less...

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
The caterer should only charge for 95% of the cost leaving a little bit of leeway for these types of situations. Then you can settle up after the wedding.

IMO, if they are really charging you for guests that you know are not showing up 1 week in advance, they are shafting you.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Aharami
just focus on the positive. and congrats

Oh don't get me wrong, I am still excited as hell about the wedding and honeymoon, i'm just stress venting at the moment :)

Thanks!

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Yeah, it is rude, but some people are just less considerate than others. No big deal. I understand though. No one likes being stood up, especially when it is a big occasion like a wedding. Some people are just flakes though -- they never commit to anything.

If I RSVP, I will go unless there is some thing that totally prevents me from going. Even if I really don't want to go, if I RSVP'ed, I will go because you only have your word and if your word isn't good, then what are you?

**EDIT**

Meh, look on the bright side. You will have loads of fun. :)

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: DBL
The caterer should only charge for 95% of the cost leaving a little bit of leeway for these types of situations. Then you can settle up after the wedding.

IMO, if they are really charging you for guests that you know are not showing up 1 week in advance, they are shafting you.

Well with everything else, the caterer has been great, no complaints at all. I agree, it would be nice to settle up after the wedding, but as someone earlier mentioned, they have to order the food to cook in advance so it makes sense they want payment before services rendered. Oh well, nothing i can do about it now...

jcuadrado

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Hey...I'm in Florida...think my wife and I can make it...

Free food and drink? I'm in :)