Woosta's Weekly MMA Thread [Episode #1]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I have absolutely no interest in watching TUF. I don't want to see some guy who barely knows the game try to teach others. That shit is just stupid.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Epics Strikeforce event:

Too bad Kennedy never tangled with Jake Shields - would have been an excellent match.

Hendo and the H-Bomb - Hendo may have the best chin in all of MMA - Leben & Diaz bro's come in a distant 2nd & 3rd.

For once - a womens fight I enjoyed. Whole family watched this one and the ladies of the house were on the edge of their seat rooting for the underdog Carmouche!

TUF: I've watched since TUF 1, arguably the best season by far with the most talent and its gone downhill every year with talent level dropping way off and the Coaches just not giving a fuck and making it about themselves. I really do not need this much Brock in my living room but I'll DVR the whole season to just watch the fights.

And the Diego/Kampmann fight was an epic battle that will go down as a Top 100 fight in MMA history. I'm no fan of Diego but he he has heart:

Great picof the aftermath of Diego: http://api.ning.com/files/m*Ar7oreS...*QK4kTIYL/uvs3_11_sanchez_vs_kampmann_011.jpg

Best chin in MMA hands down is Rampage. It took a dozen hard as hell knees directly to the face and a huge punch to put him down. I don't even think Hendo could have took all those knees. The average MMA fighter would have been out after the 2nd knee from Wand.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
honestly, how many other people have you seen survive this?

24zkr6c.jpg

none, cause they haven't.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Well, Fedor evaded Cro Cop's LHKs in DOMINANT fashion like NONE OTHER but yeah I agree Hunt is #1 chin of all time.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
honestly, how many other people have you seen survive this?

24zkr6c.jpg

none, cause they haven't.

It's good, but he has since been KO'ed from a single back peddling punch, I don't care it was from probably the hardest hitter in MMA. Hendo has NEVER been ko'ed so he has to be ranked higher than Hunt on the best chin list. Manhoef couldn't have KO'ed Dan like that.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Wrong. Manhoef would have easily KO'd Hendo with that punch. He could have KO'd a herd of elephants with that punch.

Once again..

MARK HUNT IS A HEAVYWEIGHT. HE IS USED TO FIGHTING HEAVYWEIGHTS. HE FIGHTS HUGE, HUGE MONSTERS. HENDO DOES NOT FIGHT HEAVYWEIGHTS. HE FIGHTS SMALLER PEOPLE WITH SMALLER POWER. MARK HUNT HAS TAKEN THE BIGGER SHOTS IN HIS CAREER. MARK HUNT HAS THE GREATEST CHIN OF ALL TIME.

Let's take a look at 5 random opponents
Feijao.jpg

Does Feijao have power? Yes. Does it equate to HW power? No.

renato_sobral_babalu_feature_medium.jpg

Does Babalu have power? Some. Does it equate to HW power? No.

jakeshieldsnew.jpg

Does Jake Shields have power? Yes, about the same power as a 5th grader.

Bisping-KO.jpg

Does Bisping have any power? No.

richfranklinnosedd3.jpg

Does Rich Franklin have power? Some. HW Power? No.

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
It's good, but he has since been KO'ed from a single back peddling punch, I don't care it was from probably the hardest hitter in MMA. Hendo has NEVER been ko'ed so he has to be ranked higher than Hunt on the best chin list. Manhoef couldn't have KO'ed Dan like that.

While I agree that Hendo should be ranked higher for never having been KO'd, I do firmly believe Marvelous Melvin could knock out any man.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
woosta, i would love to have you as a friend just so i could take all your money in bets. you dont know shit about mma thought you think you do.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
woosta, i would love to have you as a friend just so i could take all your money in bets. you dont know shit about mma thought you think you do.

I don't know bout that.... Woosta seems intelligent about it, I just think he lets his emotions for certain fighters get the best of him. I would never in a million years bet on Jones vs Shogun, but Jim Millers fight? Yeah I'd bet on that, I don't even give a fuck if he's a huge favorite it's goddamn a sure thing.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I liked watching TUF at first, but when I realised they were pandering to oddball personalities and building up personal feuds with over-the-hill/second tier fighters I started tuning in only for the 1 or 2 rounds of fighting at the end.

They need to concentrate on high quality fighters and trainers rather than the race to the bottom they are engaged in.

I will not go out of my way to watch that crap.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
I don't know bout that.... Woosta seems intelligent about it, I just think he lets his emotions for certain fighters get the best of him. I would never in a million years bet on Jones vs Shogun, but Jim Millers fight? Yeah I'd bet on that, I don't even give a fuck if he's a huge favorite it's goddamn a sure thing.

maybe, but he's been wrong on numerous occasions if you've read any of his other threads. he was claiming the last UFC was gonna be complete shit, but it was actually one of the best in a while, tons of good fights.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Please call me when Hendo gets in the ring with huge monster heavyweights like these in kickboxing/K1:

mma_sd_schilt_576.jpg

25qygqe.jpg

CroCop.jpg

rayS.png

susumu03.jpg

And comes from the fight without getting knocked out cold and then I'll be impressed.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
maybe, but he's been wrong on numerous occasions if you've read any of his other threads. he was claiming the last UFC was gonna be complete shit, but it was actually one of the best in a while, tons of good fights.

ah. i hear ya there. oh well ya know? if anyone ever wants to shoot the shit on MMA or discuss picks, hit me up I'm always down.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008

One who has several opinions will inevitably be wrong.

And I do have a hate for the Zuffa brand. That's nothing new.

Can you please point out "wrong" things that I have stated? Such as elaborating a fighters skillset or elaborating a matchup in advance?

With the entire UFC roster they could have made much better matchups. People need to stop cosigning every event Joe Silva makes and admit when a card is weak.

Last edited:

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
coreyb - not all of us are fans of low level striking slugfests. Can you please elaborate on the last UFC event and note which fights were entertaining to you and why.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
coreyb - not all of us are fans of low level striking slugfests. Can you please elaborate on the last UFC event and note which fights were entertaining to you and why.

Please Woosta, everyone loves a good slugfest.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Please Woosta, everyone loves a good slugfest.

But not everyone would prefer a slugfest against a more technical, chess-like battle like Machida vs Shogun 1.

Machida vs Shogun 1 is probably the greatest striking matchup of the last 3-5 years in the UFC.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
It was good, but there were mad flaws with that fight. Neither guy was willing to test the waters and really push it. IMO the first fight would have looked exactly like the 2nd if Shogun had been more aggressive. I like seeing a display, but I pay to watch a goddamn fight not fucking TKD points competition.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
It was good, but there were mad flaws with that fight. Neither guy was willing to test the waters and really push it. IMO the first fight would have looked exactly like the 2nd if Shogun had been more aggressive. I like seeing a display, but I pay to watch a goddamn fight not fucking TKD points competition.

Shogun vs Machida 1 was not some TKD points competition, and I hate Karate and TKD.

I agree that Shogun would have KO'd Machida yet again in their first fight.

Shogun's strategy was brilliant though, and this is when 99% of MMA fans rooting for Machida ( riding his bandwagon ) had NO IDEA what Shogun was capable of.

Jose Aldo used a similar strategy vs Faber.

And besides, it's not like most of Shogun's fights go to a decision.. guy has somethin like a 70% finish rate.

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not saying it was. I'm saying that the guys were overly cautious and not really looking to fight, but looking to win. It's a complaint a lot of people have with GSP. I'm not saying they aren't great or that I don't enjoy watching it, I'm just saying it's a gripe I have with these kind of bouts. Yes it's because they respect each others skills and what not, but so what? Fedor respected a lot of guys skills, yet he still went out there with the intent to blow their fucking head up with his scud missiles he calls his fists. You should know that.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
I think that's the ONLY fight Shogun has ever played it "safe". You have to remember he was up against an undefeated Machida who had a crazy, crazy hype behind him so that was probably a very good legitimate use of playing safe for Shogun.

Shogun's mindset is the same as Fedor's 95% of the time in that he's out there to destroy you. They are my two beloved favorite fighters.

*Memorizes Shoguns attempts to KO Machida*

ufc104_11_machida_vs_shogun_018.jpg

UFC-113-Updates-Shogun-Rua-Knocks-Out-Lyoto-Machida-570x380.jpg

shogun-vs-machida-2-3.jpeg

Last edited:

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Sadly I actually agree with Woosta on Hunt's chin. There's a reason in CC's prime it was right leg hospital, left leg cemetery. That kick from CC was in his prime and dude took it like a champ.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Don't forget that it's kind of hard KOing a guy whose strategy is to counterstrike and runs backwards.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Woosta, I realize that Shogun doesn't usually fight that way. I'm a Shogun fan, the guys amazing. I'm just calling it like I see it. Being more aggressive would have paid off in the first fight, it did in the second. He totally got screwed on the cards though, so I'm glad he blasted Machida so no one could debate.