Woman braindead after being hit by ciclist riding in car lane

Sep 7, 2009
This poor woman was crossing the road via crosswalk as she was creamed by yet another mouth breathing lance armstrong wanna-be ciclist.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Fairfield-woman-hit-by-bicycle-in-NYC-s-Central-5765942.php

Just another example of why ciclists in the car lanes is not a solution.

It's really no wonder that many cities and residents are fed up with these mouth breathing ciclists.

We build them bike lanes (paid for via vehicle tax/tag/licensing) to get them off the road and they insist on riding in the roadway because pebbles bend their delicate wheels and non lance armstrongs hold up their olympic training sessions.

It's really no wonder why these people get no respect on the road. Between blazing through redlights, intentionally and needlessly holding up traffic, refusing to brake when needed... This is what happens when an entire group behaves this way.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So he saw her since he yelled for her to get out of the way. I think the chair is appropriate.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I am thinking is he saw her and had time to yell for her to get out of the way he had time to stop.

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
If you want to be able to ride on the roadway, you need to follow the rules of the road.

- Merg

Dec 10, 2005
If you want to be able to ride on the roadway, you need to follow the rules of the road.

- Merg
Why hold bicyclists to a higher standard when drivers routinely ignore the rules?

Eg: http://gothamist.com/2014/09/12/doored_cyclist_video.php
Guy on a bicycle, riding in the bike lane, has the green light, but then a cab stops illegally adjacent to it to discharge a passenger and gets doored as a result.

Or contend with people that illegally turn across the bike lane (sometimes resulting in a cyclist's death): http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024421617_cyclistkilledxml.html

etc...

Not all cyclists are angels. Some are douches that salmon, etc. But that's hardly a reason to paint them all with one wide, ignorant brush.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
She was in the crosswalk, he should be charged like any other road user would.

The article is limited on details, and the title is misleading since her condition isn't actually known yet.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Why hold bicyclists to a higher standard when drivers routinely ignore the rules?

I agree, but that's a law enforcement problem. The rules are the rules, and cyclists are required to abide.

Motorists do some crazy shit sometime that put many people in danger, yet they still retain their priveledge.

Dec 10, 2005
She was in the crosswalk, he should be charged like any other road user would.

The article is limited on details, and the title is misleading since her condition isn't actually known yet.
It's not clear who had the light. Those crosswalks in Central Park have lights to control vehicle and bike traffic versus pedestrians crossing.

Edit:
There is a NYP article that says he was riding a 'brakeless triathlon bike'. If he truly had no brakes, what a moron - even if he did have the right of way. All bicycles operated on a public roadway should have brakes, a bell, and lights (the latter for after dark).

At the same time, if the NYPD are going to be consistent in this case compared to their vehicle vs. pedestrian cases, this guy might just walk away with only a ticket. Rarely are charges brought up against drivers for killing pedestrians.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Right, more details needed. But my rule of thumb is always yield for people in a crosswalk. Better safe than sorry.

Sep 7, 2009
I am thinking is he saw her and had time to yell for her to get out of the way he had time to stop.

Like many lance armstrong wanna-bes he he had non or partially functioning brakes.

These road bikes cannot stop on a dime. They certainly can't stop quickly enough to stop from running over a little child or person crossing the road.

Sep 7, 2009
Right, more details needed. But my rule of thumb is always yield for people in a crosswalk. Better safe than sorry.

Ciclists yield for no one. They are the most elitest bestest thing on the world, pedaling with the head held high and spandex wedged tightly into buttcrack. They rule the road.

Just read the replies in these threads. Hell even when a brakeless mouth breathing ciclist mows some poor old lady over in a crosswalk the nutters are still able to defend the ciclist.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

no. more info is not really needed.

IF a vehicle had hit her in a cross walk they would still face penalties.

He had time to avoid her or stop. he did neither or couldn't

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005

agreed even if you as the driver have the light. I just mumble some bad words under my breath about idiot peds if I did have the light.

Sep 7, 2009
It's not clear who had the light. Those crosswalks in Central Park have lights to control vehicle and bike traffic versus pedestrians crossing.

Edit:
There is a NYP article that says he was riding a 'brakeless triathlon bike'. If he truly had no brakes, what a moron - even if he did have the right of way. All bicycles operated on a public roadway should have brakes, a bell, and lights (the latter for after dark).

At the same time, if the NYPD are going to be consistent in this case compared to their vehicle vs. pedestrian cases, this guy might just walk away with only a ticket. Rarely are charges brought up against drivers for killing pedestrians.

Edit:

I very much doubt that.

NY, like many states, have started majorly cracking down on law-breaking ciclists.

They are known for speeding in bike lanes, going WAY too fast to stop should a hazard present itself. Pedestrians are getting run over, poor cabbies are getting their doors smashed by these morons who can't stop in time. FYI going "too fast for conditions" would nail this guy to the wall even if she wasn't in a crosswalk.

This lady was the wife of a CBS executive. I would be shocked if this guy isn't doing his exercising bent over in the shower at otisville. He'll probably enjoy it though, he seems accustomed to being bent over with something wedged up his butt.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Ciclists yield for no one. They are the most elitest bestest thing on the world, pedaling with the head held high and spandex wedged tightly into buttcrack. They rule the road.

Just read the replies in these threads. Hell even when a brakeless mouth breathing ciclist mows some poor old lady over in a crosswalk the nutters are still able to defend the ciclist.

The amount of people out there you consider a threat to your life makes me very concerned about you carrying a weapon

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

That changes everything.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
That's not necessarily true in NYC

so you are saying a vehicle that had time to yell "get out of the way" that did not stop to avoid hitting her would not be in trouble?

The rider had enough time to yell at her but didn't stop? either because it couldn't or wouldn't?

naa. don't buy it.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Or many other cities, if the pedestrian doesn't have the crossing light they should not enter the road to cross and would be considered in the wrong if they were struck by a car that had a green light.

while true if the woman was crossing against a red light she would be in the wrong, it still is a problem IMO for a person driving/riding a vehicle who obviously was aware of the woman and had time to yell a warning at the woman to get out of the way.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

I'm guessing that's because it's almost infinitely easier to kill someone when colliding against them with a car vs. a bicycle. Even disregarding who is at fault, as a driver you can be driving at an absurdly low speed and still kill a pedestrian in a collision. Whereas with a bike you'd have to be going at an absurdly high speed to kill the same pedestrian. That's not even accounting for the far higher degree of unobstructed view the bicyclist enjoys, making it that much easier to avoid hitting someone.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

Eg: http://gothamist.com/2014/09/12/doored_cyclist_video.php
Guy on a bicycle, riding in the bike lane, has the green light, but then a cab stops illegally adjacent to it to discharge a passenger and gets doored as a result.

Guy deserves it after almost hitting a pedestrian himself at the 0:08 mark (he did the same "look out" thing without even bothering to slow down and missing her by a couple inches). He almost does it again at the 0:32 mark where the pedestrian has to rush out of his way. And last but not least he ignores the fact that the cab which "doored" him had his hazard lights on and thus he should be slowing down and cautiously passing the cab rather than barreling through full speed. Personally I think the bicyclist should get a ticket for careless driving and have to pay for any repairs to the cabbie's car.