With such a high divorce rate why are so many people getting married?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I find that "50% of marriages end in divorce" statistic very surprising. I just sat down and went through our address book, and of the more than 50 couples I would say I know well the stats are very different. Three of the marriages ended in divorce, and four currently married people had been divorced prior to their current marriage.

I do know quite a few people who have been divorced (not close friends, mainly people from work and neighbors). The vast majority of them are either selfish and/or vain and/or materialistic.

At least from my own experience, there's a strong correlation between personality type and divorce.

Nov 3, 2004
Does anyone else think this is one of the stupidest questions ever asked on AT? Even if the divorce rate was really low, you still have the same probability of getting divorced with your wife as you would regardless of the average divorce rate

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
Originally posted by: dullard
Amplifier, you have a 100% chance of dying. So why did you even bother to be born. You have a 100% chance of getting rid of your car / computer / stereo / whatever, so why do you even bother to buy them in the first place?

Life isn't about the final outcome, life is about the process. The marriage process is very wonderful even if it ends badly. I myself got married, wife cheated, I divorced her. No need for a prenup here because by law everything is split 50/50 in Nebraska, split to the penny. I'm excited to someday get married again. The benefits of marriage are worth it.

i know many or most of you have no idea what my "happy times" philosophy is but this post right here definitely is an example of happy times.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
Originally posted by: F22 Raptor
Originally posted by: dullard
Originally posted by: Liviathan
I do. That's why I walked away from a long relationship last year. I have no desire to get married. Not for me. She kept asking me why wouldn't get married and I told her, it doesn't solve anything for me. So it's better she finds someone that will give her what she wants.

But I always said, whats the point of marriage when you are just going to end up in divorce. Sorry if that bothers people, but i'm a realist.
What is the point of being BF/GF for a long time if all you are going to do is break up? Just skip the thing entirely and you'll be better off.

Why get married?
[*]Expression: To express your love publically, legally, and spiritually.
[*]Excitement: To have a fun day on your wedding.
[*]Profit: Make a killing off of wedding gifts (don't be stupid and pay more for the wedding/reception than you get in gifts).
[*]Taxes: To save thousands on your tax bills. While there is a marriage penalty, that is rare and only for the rich. But there is a marriage benefit which is common, massive, and helps almost everyone. You automatically can inherit gifts from your wife/husband tax free. Good luck ever getting a thing from your BF/GF and then expect to pay taxes.
[*]Approval: To live your life legally, meet your religions requirements, and to have your grandmother smile.
[*]Hospitals: You can visit your wife/husband in the hospital emergency room, you can't visit your long term BF/GF.
[*]Commitment: Your BF/GF wants it, why don't you want to make him/her happy?
[*]Financial: Paperwork such as mortgages, etc. give you a lot more flexibility if you are married.
[*]Etc.

There are hundreds of significant and strong reasons to get married. There is absolutely no good reason not to get married if you are in a good, strong relationship. In the worst case, you file for divorce and split your items. If you are in a long term relationship you have the same pain, the same item splitting, etc that a divorce has.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Absolutely. If I was in a strong loving relationship and we had been together long enough, I wouldn't hesitate to consider marriage.

boo yah

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
What do statistics matter, shouldn't it be based on whether or not you are willing/tried/true/committed to your partner?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Strk
Originally posted by: OrganizedChaos
because a 50% divorce rate dosen't demean the sanctity of marrige nearly as much as gays marrying. so that makes it ok.

<-- lives in mass. mass usually has lowest divorce rate by state, but were considered the heathens.

<-obvious troll

We're quite a bit lower than many other states

(It's a PDF)

You gotta love those numbers for Nevada :)

I'm curious, though... Do they have numbers showing how many first time marriages fail, versus second and third marriages? My hunch is that there are a lot of two and three time losers out there that are messing up the divorce average for everyone else.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I dislike how marriage is still seen as something religious when religion is so much less popular than before. I want to get married but damn me if I want a priest to oversee it. It should be made into a civil celebration instead of something to do with church.

Personnally, I would definitely get married even with the divorce rate. To me, marriage is the ultimate way of showing your love for someone and how you are ready to commit to them. Besides, if I do find someone and get married, I know it is because that woman is my best friend and I will always be with her. Too many people now confuse lust for love and jump into it. You have to love someone emotionnally, physically and mentally before you can even consider marriage.

People should not be able to marry until they are 25, too many relationships (just read all the YAGT's here- tons of guys been getting hurt lately) end because someone in them got too comfortable too young in a relationship and did not get to play the field so eventually they start wondering and it falls apart.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Amplifier
My dad had four brothers and between them there have been four divorces. I've heard the divorces rate is between 50 and 62 percent. So why are people getting married especially without a prenup.

Is it because you're considered a loser if you aren't married?
Is it because people think it's the right thing to do?
Is it that parents pressure their kids into marriage?

I've been seeing the same girl for half a year now but I wouldn't even think about marrying her. Even if you love the girl and want to spend the rest of your life together why get married?

Nowadays, kids pressure their parents into marriage.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Feneant2
I dislike how marriage is still seen as something religious when religion is so much less popular than before. I want to get married but damn me if I want a priest to oversee it. It should be made into a civil celebration instead of something to do with church.

Personnally, I would definitely get married even with the divorce rate. To me, marriage is the ultimate way of showing your love for someone and how you are ready to commit to them. Besides, if I do find someone and get married, I know it is because that woman is my best friend and I will always be with her. Too many people now confuse lust for love and jump into it. You have to love someone emotionnally, physically and mentally before you can even consider marriage.

People should not be able to marry until they are 25, too many relationships (just read all the YAGT's here- tons of guys been getting hurt lately) end because someone in them got too comfortable too young in a relationship and did not get to play the field so eventually they start wondering and it falls apart.

you can still do that though. marriage by a priest is marriage sanctioned by the churh/religion of the couple. you can go get married in the state courthouse and throw a party afterwards if you want.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
Because people are pressured into marriage. Society looks at you like you're a loser if you're not married