With 5% of the world's population, Americans now possess ~1/2 of the world's guns

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Gun laws don't work, and the proof is in the newspaper every morning.

First murder of the year in my city. By an EX-Felon (banned from ever having a gun) shot a guy multiple times in the head.
Local Comunity college on lock down because a guy with a gun was seen on campus. Again an EX-Felon (banned from ever having a gun) arrested.

Those are just the last two local instances, I suspect 80 - 90% of shootings, armed robberies, and other crimes involving a gun are committed by people that are already banned from even touching a gun. See how well gun laws work?

Outlaw guns and ONLY outlaws will have guns, it's that simple and evident to even the stupidest people, except these anti-gun freaks.

Jan 13, 2009
Outlaw guns and ONLY outlaws will have guns, it's that simple and evident to even the stupidest people, except these anti-gun freaks.

You can't get the anti-gun freaks to take off their tin-foil hats long enough to see facts like this.

Facts and evidence are foreign concepts to them.

Feb 10, 2000
I'd be all for massive gun control if it actually will help curb homicides in this country, looking within our own country, our murder rate has gone down overall while gun ownership has gone up, so there goes that causality argument. And when comparing the homicide rates of the United States with other westernized/developed nations, the differences are marginal and debatable, and yield no conclusive support that gun control would actually work.

While I have zero need for an assault style rifle, probably ever, I do see the issue in banning such weapons because IT IS taking away a responsible individual's right to own such weapons. America was built on the foundation of freedom, let's keep it that way.

Actually (while I don't have a problem with the rest of your post), the difference in homicide rates between the US and other western, developed nations is neither marginal nor debatable. Certainly there are a host of developing nations with much higher murder rates, but no countries with anything like our levels of wealth. Our murder rate is three times higher than Canada's, four times higher than England's, and six times higher than Spain's, for example.

Jan 13, 2009
Our murder rate is three times higher than Canada's, four times higher than England's, and six times higher than Spain's, for example.

I would argue that our murder rate is a symptom of another problem: our drug culture.

I know here locally that most murders, vilolence, arrests in general are connected to drugs. If you could change that, I believe our crime rate would be DRASTICALLY reduced.

Feb 10, 2000
I would argue that our murder rate is a symptom of another problem: our drug culture.

I know here locally that most murders, vilolence, arrests in general are connected to drugs. If you could change that, I believe our crime rate would be DRASTICALLY reduced.

I guess it depends what you mean by "connected to drugs," and whether you are including just murders incident to the drug trade or also murders committed by people on drugs. If it's the latter, alcohol is probably a much greater contributing factor than other recreational drugs. If it's the former, that is something of a blurry line in that there are certainly a gazillion murders committed by gang members on other gang members, some of which relate in some way to the drug trade, but I see that more as a gang problem than a drug problem.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Not%2BSure%2Bif%2Bserious.jpg

I am serious. It's an irrational response to blame something that is part of the circumstances to the crimes being committed as opposed to the person committing them.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Personally I just LOVE reading the quotes from the founding fathers. Because clearly guns were such an important part of their life and in the society that existed then

which is a completely different society that exists today.

I don't see an expiry date on the constitution. Has a process to amend it tho, have at it.

So it is...quaint...that people cling to this idea that guns are such an integral part of their rights and their livelihood. And you are free as a bird to feel that way and love on your guns and sleep with them, put them under your pillow and in the glove compartment...do whatever it is you want to do with your guns.

Just understand..there are people that are smarter than you, and they are tasked with the job of determining whether you gun nuts need to have access to firearms or materials that don't need to be on public streets.

Pray tell, who are these "smarter people." Rich people? Because they're the ones that buy the lawmakers right now.

Simply put, you can have guns. No one is taking away that right. Unfortunately some guns (and related material) just should not be suitable for public consumption.

why is that a hard concept to understand?

Instead of railing like idiots about starting a new revolution or the 'American People' will raise up..if you try to take away our freedums!!

be a part of a fracking solution to come up with sensible gun legislation.

Some "smarter" person arbitrarily deciding what types of guns people can have ends in some "smarter" person deciding no guns.

Seriously... just look at the UK, Australia, or Canada if you want to see the end game. Canada is turning around somewhat but it's fragile.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
We have all we need, ex-felons, mentally ill people are not allowed to buy guns.

We do need to offer more assistance and legislation to help the mentally ill.

Every home should have a gun, and training on how to use it for self-defense.
CCW should be encouraged, with appropriate training.

Of all the mass shootings since about 1950 in public places where 3 or more people were shot, all but one were locations where law abiding citizens were not allow to carry firearms. The only exception to this was the Gabby Gifford shooting.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Actually (while I don't have a problem with the rest of your post), the difference in homicide rates between the US and other western, developed nations is neither marginal nor debatable. Certainly there are a host of developing nations with much higher murder rates, but no countries with anything like our levels of wealth. Our murder rate is three times higher than Canada's, four times higher than England's, and six times higher than Spain's, for example.

Just looking at a quick table on wikipedia on homicide rates per 100,000.

U.S. - 4.55
Canada - 1.58
UK - 1.45
Australia - 1.57
Mexico - 14.11

Now what you say is true, but again, it is debatable whether guns actually play a factor in the statistics. Because there are a lot of factors out there that play into effect, and again, going from 4.55/100,000 to 1.58/100,000 really is marginal.

Like you said in a previous post, I would love to see us hit the reset button and make all guns disappear from our country, short of that, I don't think any sort of half-assed gun control solution is going to affect our homicide rate in this country.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Personally I just LOVE reading the quotes from the founding fathers. Because clearly guns were such an important part of their life and in the society that existed then

Kind of like the 1st now that we have computers and cell phones. Or the 4th and 5th now that we have terrorist?

Simply put, you can have guns. No one is taking away that right. Unfortunately some guns (and related material) just should not be suitable for public consumption.

Pure, unadulterated bullshit. The gun doesn't matter, the person in possession of it intention does.

Exactly, why is it so hard to understand?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

So it is...quaint...that people cling to this idea that guns are such an integral part of their rights and their livelihood. And you are free as a bird to feel that way and love on your guns and sleep with them, put them under your pillow and in the glove compartment...do whatever it is you want to do with your guns.

Just understand..there are people that are smarter than you, and they are tasked with the job of determining whether you gun nuts need to have access to firearms or materials that don't need to be on public streets.

Instead of railing like idiots about starting a new revolution or the 'American People' will raise up..if you try to take away our freedums!!

Lol. "You can have guns, we're just going to make it ridiculously difficult. We know you haven't done anything wrong, hell we even say you're not the problem! But that hobby of yours, your reverence for that freedom... yeah the liberal council of culture has decided those are out of place and have to go. But you can keep the guns you have right now! You can't buy replacement parts, but hey you can keep your guns!"

Seriously, the bullshit is layered so thick I'm convinced they believe it. Why can't I own an AR-15 with a 30 round magazine? Me, specifically. And others like me, because there are millions. I can guarantee I'll pass any reasonable test regarding proficiency, mental stability and even safety of fucking storage. I'm even willing to pay hundreds of dollars to pass those tests. Can I have one now? Apparently not. Those "smarter people" have decided that I'm unfit because... well because they don't like guns and that means I'm not allowed to like them either.

It really is that simple and that petty. Personally I wouldn't be opposed to mental health checks and such, but no one's proposing that. Your "smarter people" are going straight for the blanket bans and barely paying mental health lip service, which will not only turn out to be an ineffective strategy (like it was for 10 years) but ignores the root problem completely and is of the same mentality as "guilty until proven innocent".

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
With 5 percent of the world's population, Americans now possess about half of the world's guns. Is it any wonder then that mass shootings in the U.S. have skyrocketed the violent crime rate has been falling in the past decade?

Fixed the OP.

Jan 13, 2009
Not to mention that the reports coming out now are that the Sandy Hook nutjob left the AR in the car.

But like Rahm Emanual said: "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

Feb 10, 2000
Not to mention that the reports coming out now are that the Sandy Hook nutjob left the AR in the car.

But like Rahm Emanual said: "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

Wow - you are WEEKS behind in the news. That was the report the day of the shooting, but the coroner subsequently confirmed that each victim was shot multiple times with an AR-15.

Honestly, if you can't be bothered to pay any attention to the news I'm not sure you should be commenting on it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

U.S. - 4.55
Canada - 1.58
UK - 1.45
Australia - 1.57
Mexico - 14.11

Now what you say is true, but again, it is debatable whether guns actually play a factor in the statistics. Because there are a lot of factors out there that play into effect, and again, going from 4.55/100,000 to 1.58/100,000 really is marginal.

Like you said in a previous post, I would love to see us hit the reset button and make all guns disappear from our country, short of that, I don't think any sort of half-assed gun control solution is going to affect our homicide rate in this country.

Actually going from 4.55 to 1.58 is huge. That would not only cut our murder rate in about a third, but it would save about 9,000 lives a year. I think 9,000 dead people is not marginal.

Feb 10, 2000

U.S. - 4.55
Canada - 1.58
UK - 1.45
Australia - 1.57
Mexico - 14.11

I don't believe a drop of 66% can fairly be called "marginal," and given that more than 2/3 of all murders in the United States are committed with guns, I do not believe it is by any means "debatable whether guns actually play a factor in the statistics." I agree, though, that the kind of half-assed gun control law that is realistically possible would have minimal benefit.

EDIT: Not sure where you're getting those numbers, which do not correlate to those at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate. That link states the US number is 4.8/100K, and the UK rate 1.2/100K, a much greater disparity than the numbers you are citing.

Last edited:

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Wow. Gun nut? I own 2 guns. That makes me a nut? Do you own 2 tv's? Does that make you a tv nut?

Just another example of how faux liberals/authoritarians try to use buzzwords and empty arguments to promote the idiocy of the left.

Sensible gun legislation would be to do away with the '68 NRA-supported Gun Control Act. That was one of the most ill-conceived pieces of crap ever to come out of there.

And I just loved your drivel of "there are people that are smarter than you, and they are tasked with the job of determining whether you gun nuts need to have access to firearms".

HARDLY! People that are dumber than a bag of hammers are occupying those seats on Capitol Hill right now. But what can you expect out of the left? It feeds on the weak minded.
sorry I guess I should have not meant you specifically...just gun nuts in general :)

no I dont own 2 tvs

yes there are people smarter than you...smarter than me..smart people that need to figure this out. And no I am not inferring people in Washington thats your inference not mine.

I feel there needs to be research done in both the medical field (mental health field) AND with firearms and firearm safety to determine a reasonable threshhold where people can agree that certain firearms and related materials are simply too dangerous for public use. We already do that you know? there is already legislation that regulates the sale and use of firearms.

I think it is worth while to be vigilant in these efforts...clearly...you just want to cling to guns :)

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Personally I wouldn't be opposed to mental health checks and such, but no one's proposing that. ...

all of your other garbage aside...that's all Im thinking needs to be done too.

and yes it does take smart people (people in the medical professional and other researchers that can determine a reasonable safety threshold for firearms...that can be used for smart, appropriate legislation.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Kind of like the 1st now that we have computers and cell phones. Or the 4th and 5th now that we have terrorist?

Pure, unadulterated bullshit. The gun doesn't matter, the person in possession of it intention does.

Exactly, why is it so hard to understand?

i disagree...the firearms and related materials do matter.

we will have to disagree.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I don't see an expiry date on the constitution. Has a process to amend it tho, have at it.

Pray tell, who are these "smarter people." Rich people? Because they're the ones that buy the lawmakers right now.

Some "smarter" person arbitrarily deciding what types of guns people can have ends in some "smarter" person deciding no guns.

Seriously... just look at the UK, Australia, or Canada if you want to see the end game. Canada is turning around somewhat but it's fragile.
you are flat wrong...no one wants to expire the constitution

fear mongering at its best! :)

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Of all the mass shootings since about 1950 in public places where 3 or more people were shot, all but one were locations where law abiding citizens were not allow to carry firearms. The only exception to this was the Gabby Gifford shooting.
Read an article that said the Aurora theater may have been picked because it/Cinemark has a no guns policy(CCW). Any truth that you have heard of?