With 5% of the world's population, Americans now possess ~1/2 of the world's guns

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
just understand..there are people that are smarter than, and they are tasked with the job of determining whether people need to have <insert liberty here>

basically it seems like you'd love North Korea...

on a side note, I'm happy to report from a country with draconian gun laws that we have successfully disarmed all criminals and did not just have our third shooting this week... oh wait :hmm:

Wow three shootings in a week? I guess the natural response would be to get guns into everyone's hand!

/s

Extremes on any side sound stupid don't they?

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
Wow three shootings in a week? I guess the natural response would be to get guns into everyone's hand!

/s

Extremes on any side sound stupid don't they?

in a country with a population of 5.5 million citizens who are essentially all middleclass, surrounded by similar countries with similar views on gun ownership, 3 shootings in a week is pretty substantial. If gun control was ever going to work, you'd think it would work here, instead we have people getting gunned down on the street over a case of mistaken identity, people getting shot in their own homes during a home invasion, kids finding guns on playgrounds and accidentally shooting themselves and cops getting shot by drug dealers. I'm not saying it's the wild west out there, but gun crime has increased over the last decade despite of politicians in their infinite wisdom has increased weapon laws to the point where construction workers get charged with possesion of an illegal weapon because they forgot to take their box cutters out of their toolbelts after work.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
in a country with a population of 5.5 million citizens who are essentially all middleclass, surrounded by similar countries with similar views on gun ownership, 3 shootings in a week is pretty substantial. If gun control was ever going to work, you'd think it would work here, instead we have people getting gunned down on the street over a case of mistaken identity, people getting shot in their own homes during a home invasion, kids finding guns on playgrounds and accidentally shooting themselves and cops getting shot by drug dealers. I'm not saying it's the wild west out there, but gun crime has increased over the last decade despite of politicians in their infinite wisdom has increased weapon laws to the point where construction workers get charged with possesion of an illegal weapon because they forgot to take their box cutters out of their toolbelts after work.

if you're talking about the US, that is decidedly wrong. both violent crime rates and homicide rates have been dropping for over 20 years.