Wisconsin Republicans block ban on ‘conversion therapy’

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
*sigh*

My once great state really is in a freefall. This GOP controlled legislature hardly works, and when they do work, they are doing dark age level crap like this. I just can't take it anymore.
Thank jeebus that Tony Evers was elected Govenor again. There's literally no depths to which these people wouldn't sink our state if Evers was not around to keep them in check

As an added bonus this happened in one of the largest counties as well:

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
*sigh*

My once great state really is in a freefall. This GOP controlled legislature hardly works, and when they do work, they are doing dark age level crap like this. I just can't take it anymore.
Thank jeebus that Tony Evers was elected Govenor again. There's literally no depths to which these people wouldn't sink our state if Evers was not around to keep them in check

As an added bonus this happened in one of the largest counties as well:
Well sadly it's going to happen sooner or later as eventually a Republican will win the governorship. Considering Republicans have essentially ended democracy in Wisconsin for the legislature by gerrymandering themselves into a permanent majority it's only a matter of time.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I was listening to the Level1 show and they had a segment about how over 770,000 of your fellow Wisconsinites have at least one OWI conviction. To paraphrase Animal House - Fat, Drunk, and Stupid, is no way to go through life Wisconsin.

I should talk, I'm Florida Man. ;)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Captante and iRONic

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
These new "parental rights" movements and laws are pretty stupid, don't kids have rights not to be abused by their parents? A lot of this seems focused around protecting a parents right to abuse their children if they don't like the way their kid is growing up. For example, forcing teachers to tell parents if they learn that a student is trans or gay, what if the parents are religious psychos (good chance in WI), they're probably condemning the kid to have the shit beaten out of them by a drunken redneck dad who is drunk on shitty WI beer.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
These new "parental rights" movements and laws are pretty stupid, don't kids have rights not to be abused by their parents? A lot of this seems focused around protecting a parents right to abuse their children if they don't like the way their kid is growing up. For example, forcing teachers to tell parents if they learn that a student is trans or gay, what if the parents are religious psychos (good chance in WI), they're probably condemning the kid to have the shit beaten out of them by a drunken redneck dad who is drunk on shitty WI beer.

Easy there, not all Wisconsin beer is shitty. We have New Glarus! I live in a small Wisconsin town. Recently a new council member asked if they could have a moment of silence, and to say the pledge of allegiance before every meeting. Even the other conservative members looked at him like he was an alien, but he was serious. Wisconsin i seriously fucked, but I think change will be in the air the next couple of election cycles. I hope.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Easy there, not all Wisconsin beer is shitty. We have New Glarus! I live in a small Wisconsin town. Recently a new council member asked if they could have a moment of silence, and to say the pledge of allegiance before every meeting. Even the other conservative members looked at him like he was an alien, but he was serious. Wisconsin i seriously fucked, but I think change will be in the air the next couple of election cycles. I hope.
Haha I knew someone would bring up New Glarus, I like their stuff but think it's a bit overrated due to the forced scarcity of it. I used to drink it a lot when I lived in southern WI for a few years, was dirt cheap back then (like $6 or $7 for a 6 pack) so that was pretty awesome. I had to throw that rib in the since I'm from IL (I still like IL breweries more overall though).

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I was listening to the Level1 show and they had a segment about how over 770,000 of your fellow Wisconsinites have at least one OWI conviction. To paraphrase Animal House - Fat, Drunk, and Stupid, is no way to go through life Wisconsin.

I should talk, I'm Florida Man. ;)

That's the Tavern League of Wisconsin in full effect. They are the worst lobbyist group in the state. They allow things like this to occur AND they will NEVER allow legalization of marijuana in this state. It's ridiculous. We have great cities (Milwaukee, Madison etc) in this state. GORGEOUS forests, lakes and waterways. World class education (UW Madison and the whole UW system). Yet all anyone knows about us is "beer and cheese!!!" We're not even the leader in dairy anymore! Or beer! But we consume it like fish do water and take some sort of pride in it. Its really gross.

Do not get me started on the idiots wearing "Cheeseheads" at Lambeau field. Nothing more embarassing.

Our rural areas are lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

EXACTLY

"Parents have rights...my kid shouldn't be discussing this stuff with teachers at school"
That's actually a good statement - the kid SHOULD be discussing it with the parents AND feel safe doing so. The problem is all these people that are screaming for parent's rights are EXACTLY the ones that the kids DON'T feel safe discussing it with so they need a safe person (teacher etc) to talk to.

Fuck those parents.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

Starts with the SC vote in April. That can/will have a HUGE impact. And I fear that ultra-conservative judge Jennifer Dorow the presided over the Waukesha parade case is going to end up winning a seat just becuase she handled that case and got "famous" (she did do a good job on it though

What town are you in?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Well sadly it's going to happen sooner or later as eventually a Republican will win the governorship. Considering Republicans have essentially ended democracy in Wisconsin for the legislature by gerrymandering themselves into a permanent majority it's only a matter of time.

Not entirely true. For statewide elections, due to the size of Milwaukee and Madison as long as people from there vote (that's the key), then there's a significant chance democrats win those seats. Huge election coming in April for SC that can change things.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
New Glarus was such a cool little place when I was there in the mid 90s. Did some mountain biking and ate at the little bakery. I wanted to move in to the Apple Orchard near there, it was heavenly. I don't think they were making the beer yet. I see RLM Mike and Jay always drinking it and get jelly.

The house on the rock was one of the most trippy places I have ever been. The cave I went to was really small but still one of my favorite things in the whole state. Everyone was really nice to us too. Nothing but good memories of Wisconsin. Madison I only saw from the outskirts and the traffic made us nope right out of there.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Not entirely true. For statewide elections, due to the size of Milwaukee and Madison as long as people from there vote (that's the key), then there's a significant chance democrats win those seats. Huge election coming in April for SC that can change things.
Yes, you can't gerrymander statewide elections but that's why I said they ended democracy for the legislature. For example in 2018 Democrats won the popular vote for state assembly by eight points, resulting in an almost veto proof majority for Republicans. Estimates by election experts indicate that for the Democrats to have a one seat majority they would have needed to win the statewide popular vote by OVER TWENTY POINTS. A situation where a party can lose by 20 points and still be in the majority is one where democracy no longer exists.

So yes, Democrats can keep winning the governorship but eventually a Republican is going to win just by nature of how politics works. The Democrats will NEVER win the legislature, no matter what occurs though, so this can only go one way.

Reactions: Dave_5k

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I think it's important to note that research has suggested that the therapy is harmful and not simply ineffective, with higher rates of depression, substance abuse, and suicide attempts for those who have undergone conversion therapy.
It's a feature, not a bug.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I think it's important to note that research has suggested that the therapy is harmful and not simply ineffective, with higher rates of depression, substance abuse, and suicide attempts for those who have undergone conversion therapy.

They dont care about facts and figures. This has been shown time and time again. They are the worst people.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Of course they ignore the fact that one of the pioneers of conversation therapy came out as gay and says that's it's all a dangerous sham he wished he could take back.

I remember reading a story about how a reporter went undercover at a conversion camp and his experience was hilarious. (well, it would be hilarious if it didn't inflict real harms on people)

Their basic theory of action was that people are gay because their parents, especially their dad, didn't love them enough or whatever. So one of the activities was everyone lay down on the floor in the dark and hugged each other for a while. For reasons that are unclear their apparent belief was that a bunch of men cuddling each other on the floor in the dark would make them...less gay.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I remember reading a story about how a reporter went undercover at a conversion camp and his experience was hilarious. (well, it would be hilarious if it didn't inflict real harms on people)

Their basic theory of action was that people are gay because their parents, especially their dad, didn't love them enough or whatever. So one of the activities was everyone lay down on the floor in the dark and hugged each other for a while. For reasons that are unclear their apparent belief was that a bunch of men cuddling each other on the floor in the dark would make them...less gay.
It's only a matter of time before the organizers of this travesty get caught with male prostitutes or trying to solicit sex in the men's room. It's like clockwork with these Republicans that are virulently anti-gay.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
It's only a matter of time before the organizers of this travesty get caught with male prostitutes or trying to solicit sex in the men's room. It's like clockwork with these Republicans that are virulently anti-gay.

And then nothing happens about it at all.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
It all falls into this idea of what a Christan nation should be like.

As more people fall out of religion, especially the young, there will be a greater push by Christian nationalist to force their beliefs in government.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
And then nothing happens about it at all.
They are good Christian folk, which means sinners. So they need only seek salvation in Jeebus. The rest of us Godless heathens are the ones that need to convert or die. I would feel weird typing that, but after watching the interviews of people supporting Hershel Walker after being told about his many terrible deeds, it's the unvarnished facts of the matter. These Christo-Fascists suck.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
They are good Christian folk, which means sinners. So they need only seek salvation in Jeebus. The rest of us Godless heathens are the ones that need to convert or die. I would feel weird typing that, but after watching the interviews of people supporting Hershel Walker after being told about his many terrible deeds, it's the unvarnished facts of the matter. These Christo-Fascists suck.

We need to look no further than Iran. A Muslim run nation that has has stripped citizens of their rights, because of Allah.

Its not Christanity, but they are very similar in mindset.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
We need to look no further than Iran. A Muslim run nation that has has stripped citizens of their rights, because of Allah.

Its not Christanity, but they are very similar in mindset.
Yup, the Christo-Fascists are copying their playbook now. Look at all of those picture comparisons of the Taliban and MAGAs, that's isn't a coincidence.