Question Wireless

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I personally haven't used a wireless keyboard that I really liked.

So for me the best option is a wired mechanical keyboard (with a USB pass-through port) and a good wireless mouse. Since the mouse stays so close to the keyboard, there are never any Bluetooth drops like you can sometimes get with the wireless adapter plugged behind the case (and under the desk).

Feb 25, 2011
Depends on whether or not you mind having a wire there. Wireless versions of otherwise good input devices are usually more expensive that their wired counterparts, so you're paying a price for an additional cosmetic enhancement. A lot of gamers dismiss wireless input devices because of latency concerns, too.

But I'm a happy wireless keyboard/mouse user, so... whatever.

Donts00tmesanta

Feb 11, 2008
Depends on whether or not you mind having a wire there. Wireless versions of otherwise good input devices are usually more expensive that their wired counterparts, so you're paying a price for an additional cosmetic enhancement. A lot of gamers dismiss wireless input devices because of latency concerns, too.

But I'm a happy wireless keyboard/mouse user, so... whatever.
My daughter keeps pulling on the cable. But would like to know what keyboard and mouse you are using.

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Wireless devices, from keyboards and mice to flight sim joysticks...IMO, stay away.

(I'm currently using a 1991 IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, with a wired Corsair M65 mouse.)

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
For me it's more comfortable, reduces wrist strain. Not everybody agrees, YMMV, etc.

I been using a trackball since the very beginning of 2000 when I bought one as a wth, its but $20 from CompUSA, and never looked back. Now I use what is the best IMO trackball made since my old Kensington mechanical broke on me and its called a ELECOM HUGE with mappable buttons up the wazoo :D

Days of picking up, setting down, getting killed in that micro second it took to reposition, or mouse come off the mat screwing up my shot in the heat of the game ;) There is a slight learning curve to it, but once you get it, no other mouse will do. Best of all really is, it takes no space because you leave it where it is, do not move it one bit, so a reverse of a typical mouse, which is great, for no large mats, or room on the desk, or small room on mat/desk making several hundred repositions while gaming or surfing.

As for Keyboard, nothing like a 20 foot extension usb wire to a powered usb hub, that sits on the floor or under a carpet/mat so no one can trip over it.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I use a USB keyboard paired to my HTPC in the living room. My main rig always uses a wired keyboard. It's more reliable and faster latency. I buy mechanical keyboards with Cherry switches. Plus, i have a keyboard shelf that I also use with my wireless mouse. I always keep a backup wireless mouse and wired mouse just in case.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just an FYI, I have an Asus B450-F ROG STRIX Gaming (not Gaming II), with a Ryzen 3600 CPU.

I was on BIOS 4301, and developed USB port drop-out problems. Upgraded to BIOS 4402, problems seem to be gone.

Reactions: bigboxes

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I use a wireless keyboard, only because I am often moving my keyboard off my desk to do *work* on it. I could put in a keyboard tray (even have one) but meh, I'm fine with the desktop height of it.

I remember back in the day, it took a lot of batteries to keep one going but they've optimized battery life now such that all the (logitechs) keyboards I have, even with an extensive amount of typing, take too many months to remember when the last time was that I recharged the batteries.

Mouse, I insist on a high accuracy laser engine and corded because it is lighter and I move it only using my fingers, minimal wrist movement and no arm movement. I also take the metal weights out of mice to make them lighter still.

With tiny movements at high DPI, lag matters a lot more too so the last thing I can stand are modern battery saving circuits in recent generation mice, but by recent generation I really mean most made in the last 15 years or so. I'd rather swap batteries daily than put up with that.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
Wireless mice aren't necessarily significantly heavier anymore, at least for some gaming mice. The wireless Deathadder V2 Pro is lighter than the wired Deathadder Elite from a few years ago. Latency isn't an issue for wireless mice anymore but wireless keyboards still seem to be plagued by poor latency. Would be curious to know exactly why.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ The Deathadder V2 Mini corded is on sale right now for $20, weighs 62g:

Edit: Heh, !@#% amazon! Sale over now.

V2 Pro is 88g to 96g (I've seen both listed), Elite is about 105g but does that include the weight of the cord? Same question about the V2 mini... a cord causes a little drag but it's not like you're moving the whole weight of it, more like the first 1/2 foot of ~6 feet.

Deathadder V2 Pro Wireless is just too expensive, IMO at over $100. I wouldn't pay half that for one. I have tons of mice but last two I bought were Logitech RX1500, came out to $8 after rebate, work great and only weigh ~85g once the weight slug is taken out.

Last edited:

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I have an MX Master 3. It's lighter than the (original) MX Master. I actually liked the heavier one better. I keep knocking the lighter MX Master 3 off of the keyboard/mouse shelf.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
Rtings had some weights that my understanding were without the cord. I haven't ever really considered wireless mice as an option even though I knew the latency issues had largely been solved, mostly due to price but also my assumptions on the weight. I didn't know how relatively light some full size wireless mice had become. I would consider one now if it was on sale.

I added a mouse bungee 3 or 4 years ago that has largely removed any issues I've ever had with cords.

ptthomas

May 21, 2021
I used a wireless mouse and keyboard from Logitech. The keyboard was a good experience for me to use but the mouse gave up working properly after 3 months and i start having issues with it.

Feb 25, 2011
I used a wireless mouse and keyboard from Logitech. The keyboard was a good experience for me to use but the mouse gave up working properly after 3 months and i start having issues with it.

Probably a stupid question, but did you replace the batteries in the mouse? I have several M510s and they start to act "weird" weeks before the batteries stop working completely. New batteries fix it every time.

ptthomas

May 21, 2021
Probably a stupid question, but did you replace the batteries in the mouse? I have several M510s and they start to act "weird" weeks before the batteries stop working completely. New batteries fix it every time.
Yeah i did, i even checked the batteries of the mouse on other stuff just to check whether they will work fine or not ( they did ).

Reactions: dave_the_nerd