clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Do any of you guys use wireless headphones (for quiet listening on your PC, or listening to music on the go, etc)? I've always had wired but I've seen the wireless light with my mouse and keyboard and I think I'd really love wireless headphones for my PC (I have my PC connected to my home theater but never use that; I always use headphones).

So I'm wondering what you guys have and recommend.

I looked at some Sennheiser ones (since my current headphones are Sennheiser HD-280 Pro and I like them) but didn't really see anything I really liked. My budget is $250 and under, I guess. Right now I'm looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-WS99BT ones and those seem good.

What say y'all? Thanks in advance.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
my fiancee was recently in the market for wireless headphones and I pushed her towards sennheiser for the SQ, but they weren't comfortable enough to her. after reading a shit ton of reviews and even posting in the head-fi forums, the consensus was that for the most comfortable cans and good blend of SQ and noise reduction, the bose QC 35 II's are the best in their category. She ended up loving those.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I use Skullcandy Uproar bluetooth ones to listen to podcasts while doing work around the house ($50). I have some no name bluetooth ear buds to wear when I am running. Wireless will wreck sound quality (at least it used to) so don't spend a ton on high quality speakers.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Do any of you guys use wireless headphones (for quiet listening on your PC, or listening to music on the go, etc)? I've always had wired but I've seen the wireless light with my mouse and keyboard and I think I'd really love wireless headphones for my PC (I have my PC connected to my home theater but never use that; I always use headphones).

So I'm wondering what you guys have and recommend.

I looked at some Sennheiser ones (since my current headphones are Sennheiser HD-280 Pro and I like them) but didn't really see anything I really liked. My budget is $250 and under, I guess. Right now I'm looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-WS99BT ones and those seem good.

What say y'all? Thanks in advance.

I'm looking at getting these wireless ones from steelseries https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-3-bluetooth

I like that they have a good mic and 28 hours of battery life is pretty sweet.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I purchased the Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2 after some research and reviews. It's not as good at noise cancelling as the Bose QC but it's also like half the price. I've been very happy about the sound quality and the noise canceling and I use them all the time for traveling and working out. Bonus that it comes with a carrying case and cords for wired audio and also charging.

I've been able to get an easy 24+ hours of listening on them without issues (They've done a few 30+ hour flight itineraries with me so far).

Edit: Has some other cool features like automatic pause when you take them off your ears, music control on the ear pod, etc.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I use JayBird X2's while I work out. I bring them on flights with me too and use em when cutting the grass. They are ear buds though not cans.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I sometimes use my Sony MDR-1RBT while at my PC if I'm moving around a lot in my office, but for "serious" music listening I plug them in, or use my Philips Fidelio X2/27 which are open-back.

I use the Sony headphones the most in Bluetooth mode when I am doing stuff in the yard, or moving around the house. They sound pretty good in that mode, but you can tell the difference when they are plugged in.

Chromagnus

Feb 28, 2017
I bought the Sennheiser HD 4.5 a few months ago and I have been very happy with them. I think I got mine for $160 so they are a bit under your price point but I didn't seem like jumping up to $250 was worth it for any of the headphones I was looking at during the time. I was either going to go with those at $160 or jump up to the $350 level and get the Bose QC35 or the Sony WH-1000.

The quality of the materials isn't quite as good (more plastic) and the noise cancellation isn't quite as good but for almost $200 less the sound quality is really nice and the build/noise cancellation is better than I expected.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I should clarify that I'm interested in closed-ear headphones.

Hmmm. I kinda like the BackBeat PRO 2 ones out of those. I actually am not interested in any extra features like microphones, assistants, music buttons, etc, but it seems every pair of wireless headphones comes with at least some of those so I guess I'll have to accept it. For example, the only music I listen to (on the PC; I don't at all from my cell phone) is from Winamp on my computer so it's controlled from there anyway. But whatevs maybe I'll eventually make use of them, haha.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
The Sony wh1000xm2 are suppose to be good, the cheapest I've seen them is ~$250.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I should clarify that I'm interested in closed-ear headphones.

Hmmm. I kinda like the BackBeat PRO 2 ones out of those. I actually am not interested in any extra features like microphones, assistants, music buttons, etc, but it seems every pair of wireless headphones comes with at least some of those so I guess I'll have to accept it. For example, the only music I listen to (on the PC; I don't at all from my cell phone) is from Winamp on my computer so it's controlled from there anyway. But whatevs maybe I'll eventually make use of them, haha.
Haha I didn't think I'd use the features either, but I won't lie it's become a godsend for some things. I honestly leave my PC upstairs running music and go downstairs with the headphones on and can spend some significant time down there, so being able to control the skip function and volume level, as well as auto-pause if I take the headphones off is crazy useful. Same thing on a plane - I leave it all running and go to the bathroom at the back of the plane while leaving the headphones on but can pause it if I need to.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I preordered Audeze Mobius. They will be my new work headphones. I'm a bit of audiophile and I'm hoping they will deliver audio quality that I need. I'll tell you how I like them when I receive them in June :D

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Haha I didn't think I'd use the features either, but I won't lie it's become a godsend for some things. I honestly leave my PC upstairs running music and go downstairs with the headphones on and can spend some significant time down there, so being able to control the skip function and volume level, as well as auto-pause if I take the headphones off is crazy useful. Same thing on a plane - I leave it all running and go to the bathroom at the back of the plane while leaving the headphones on but can pause it if I need to.
I probably will find myself using that sort of thing too. I have no need/use for it now but I may as well take advantage of the fact that these wireless sets feature these things.

I preordered Audeze Mobius. They will be my new work headphones. I'm a bit of audiophile and I'm hoping they will deliver audio quality that I need. I'll tell you how I like them when I receive them in June :D
Huh. That looks like a pretty sick set of headphones. The $269 item says July 2018 for delivery. How accurate do you think that is? Have you been following this, and think they'll meet their deadline? I'd consider waiting for these if they will actually come at that time.

iroast

Golden Member
May 5, 2005
I probably will find myself using that sort of thing too. I have no need/use for it now but I may as well take advantage of the fact that these wireless sets feature these things.

Huh. That looks like a pretty sick set of headphones. The $269 item says July 2018 for delivery. How accurate do you think that is? Have you been following this, and think they'll meet their deadline? I'd consider waiting for these if they will actually come at that time.

Planar headphones for mix media use. Looks very interesting, but I'm going to wait for the reviews to be posted on HeadFi forums.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Technically it's labeled as a kick-starter sort of campaign, but Audeze is a reputable established company, it already has pre-production units, they've given it to a few people to sample, and it looks like the biggest obstacle right now is passing bluetooth certification before they begin production. Mad Lust Envy at head-fi is singing praises. And Audeze representatives are very responsive to answer any questions over at head-fi https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-preview-head-fi-tv.874607/ their response time to any questions is typically within 12 hours. I'm not sure if they'll meet the deadline, and I don't think anybody knows, but I felt confident enough to "back" them. I wouldn't care if they get delayed a bit personally.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
I backed the Mobius as well. Should be pretty versatile and price is excellent. I'm sure it will only be a taste of Audeze given the price, but it's Audeze, so I'm confident they will deliver.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I just got a pair of Arctis 7, but it's a headset with mic. I like them, but it's a little short on bass. I also use a pair of bose soundsport for working out and while at work. But they aren't cans, more of a bud.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I just got a pair of Arctis 7, but it's a headset with mic. I like them, but it's a little short on bass. I also use a pair of bose soundsport for working out and while at work. But they aren't cans, more of a bud.

Been using the Arctis 7 for about 3 months now. They work well enough. You're right though, they have shit bass out the box. I followed these EQ settings and they are worlds better.

https://www.reddit.com/r/steelseries/comments/65ogu1/best_arctis_7_equalizer_settings/

I combined that with buying the Dolby Atmos codec from Dolby on the Microsoft App store and they're great.

Now as for wired vs. non-wired, to be honest it didn't make much of a difference at all. I guess now I don't have to worry about a wire getting frayed.

Reactions: thestrangebrew1

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Been using the Arctis 7 for about 3 months now. They work well enough. You're right though, they have shit bass out the box. I followed these EQ settings and they are worlds better.

https://www.reddit.com/r/steelseries/comments/65ogu1/best_arctis_7_equalizer_settings/

I combined that with buying the Dolby Atmos codec from Dolby on the Microsoft App store and they're great.

Now as for wired vs. non-wired, to be honest it didn't make much of a difference at all. I guess now I don't have to worry about a wire getting frayed.
Thanks I'll try this out. I haven't had a lot of time to play with EQ lately so maybe this weekend I'll mess around with it.