Question Windows Server 2022 Essentials

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Was wondering if someone could help me, I'm not to good with server stuff, it looks like I bought SATA drives instead of SAS drives. The Proliant comes with SAS connectors. Is it possible to connect SATA drives into a SAS port on the Proliant? I don't want to fry anything.
You should be fine. A SAS controller or backplane is backwards compatible with SATA 2.0+ drives.

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
Okay, so I'm having a really tough time getting these in, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. No matter how hard I push, the hdd just won't snap into the port. I'm pushing, and I'm pushing and it doesn't want to go further. I fear any harder then I will break either the hdd connector or the port on the Proliant. The HDD goes inside the drive bay perfectly, but once it goes to the end, it won't go any further. And since the enclosure is so narrow and closed off its hard to see exactly why it won't go in. I even used an OLD SATA 750GB HDD laying around and that didn't want to snap into place either. Does the Proliant use proprietary HDDs that I might not know about? Or do they use standard hard drives? Here are some pics of the HDD that I'm using vs the port on the Proliant. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: I'm starting to think I might need HPE specific HDDs. Either that or perhaps I was sent the wrong server? According to the site, the "HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus v2" is a SATA based server. However, that port inside the server doesn't sit well with me. That looks like a SAS connector. Of course, I could be wrong. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this issue.

20240218_163632.jpg20240218_180110.jpg20240218_180132.jpg

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The first rule of PC building is never force things. I've plugged SATA drives into SAS backplanes before, but apparently it isn't quite that simple?
The backplane connector you see is SFF-8482. Visually it looks like it should work (the legs of the SATA data and power male plugs can slot into the cutout of SFF-8482.)

(If you have a 2.5" SATA SSD, you could just try to plug the SSD directly into the backplane without the drive carrier. I mention SSD because they are small and light, and won't strain the connector. If you don't have a 2.5" SSD, you could try this with a 3.5" HDD on the bottom slot. Just be careful sliding the disk in.)

I doubt that you need special HPE drives, but I haven't worked with servers in a few years. When the system POSTs or inside the BIOS, it should be evident whether you have a SAS controller or a plain SATA controller (I think).

The weird thing is that sources state that SFF-8482 is designed to be backwards compatible with SATA HDD. Ref:

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
Don't think that's a SAS backplane, even if it is, as suggested it's backward compatible so you can plug SATA drive into SAS backplane

It does look like SAS backplane and is compatible with SATA drives

You should be able to push the drives in very easy.

Did you put the screws on?

SAS is not mentioned at all expect at the doc's end regarding a pcie add-on controller HPE Smart Array E208i-p SR Gen10

The controller is just a simple Intel VROC (Virtual RAID on CPU) software RAID controller.

Last edited: