Question Windows Server 2022 Essentials

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
Hello all, I'm looking to buy a machine that supports Windows Server 2022 Essentials (maybe older). The thing is, after doing research I've learned that setting a WS OS on a standard motherboard isn't easy since there aren't many drivers around. Can anyone recommend a board with a cpu combo that has drivers for WS2022E (or maybe something from Dell or HP, not to expensive though!) I'm looking to create just a very basic home lab with a windows server. Thanks for any help.

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
Use virtual environment VMware (Pro version which cost money or use free Player) , VirtualBox or Windows Hyper-V (Windows 10/11 Pro required) and an evaluation copy of Windows Server 2022 (180 days) and you don't pay anything. And the best yet, you won't have driver issue.

You already have Win11 Pro and 32GB RAM, it's perfect for virtual environment.

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
Hi Lantis, Hyper-V was fantastic. I've been on the evaluation period and now its ended. :( I really want to continue to use it. I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction on how to legally continue my studies. I was thinking about Azure. Anyone have experience using Windows Server on Azure? Or I was thinking of just getting an actual physical server and hooking it up in my home environment and using a laptop to connect to it as one of the hosts and just continuing to study like that. Thanks.

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
I don't know what kind of home lab you want. You can buy decommissioned HP/DELL cheap enterprise server on eBay then and purchase Windows Server 2022 then. They are noisy though.

64/128GB ram recommended if you really want to setup a home lab learning windows server actively directory environment since you will run a lot of VMs. Speed in a not a concern but memory size is for a lab.

Last edited:

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, those will be REALLY noisy and they sound like power guzzlers. Would there be a possible NUC option? This would be so convenient. Something small, maybe even have a raid 1 option? lol Thanks

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
Serve the home is a good source

mini pc reviewed in the videos usually are quite new and designed for Windows 10/11 though,
driver could be an issue (usually will be wifi/bluetooth adapters). Ask in their forum.

You can run Server 2022 in bare metal or inside free ESXi/Proxmox, it's your choice.

==

My experience is that you will have a very long, long time learning Windows server, many time you will have to scratch it because wrong configuration and have to start over. Only buy the license when you feel the setup/environment is comfortable.

Last edited:

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023

Windows Server 2016 Essentials; Windows Server 2019 Essentials
Windows Server Essentials edition is a cloud-connected first server designed for small businesses with up to 25 users and 50 devices

With Windows Server 2022, the Essentials edition is available to purchase from OEMs only, however there is no specific installation media. Instead, an Essentials edition product key is used to activate the Standard edition of Windows Server 2022. You get all the same features\

=

So Server 2022 Essentials is different from Server 2019 Essentials where you still can download and install yourself.

==

That means you can only buy Windows Server 2022 Essential preinstalled, so you can only get it from HP/DELL/LENOVO/IBM, etc with a new machine.

Last edited:

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you so much for your help and all the links you've provided. What do you think about this machine below? I did ask a rep if this was compatible with Windows Server 2022 Essentials and he said it was. It's used, but its the best thing there is in terms of affordability. Thanks again for all your help.

I have bought from PC Liquidations in the past for our church.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The last time I played with Windows Server Essentials was the 2012 edition. I built a desktop PC, Intel Ivy Bridge era, standard Z87 board, Intel RAID 1, and the only issue I recall having with the OS install / driver support was the NIC so I installed a PCIE NIC. Even then, Server Essentials seemed insistent on not wanting to use a static IP so I inserted a script into the startup routine that configured the network interface the way I wanted it.

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
Thank you so much for your help and all the links you've provided. What do you think about this machine below? I did ask a rep if this was compatible with Windows Server 2022 Essentials and he said it was. It's used, but its the best thing there is in terms of affordability. Thanks again for all your help.

I have bought from PC Liquidations in the past for our church.
I believe it's compatible too. But will PC Liquidations sell and install Server 2022 Essentials and give you a real OEM key (which gives you 25 users or 50 devices at the time of installation)? If not and it turns out to be a Standard key then you have to buy CAL license key individually or in packs for client machines.

The other question is, do you really want a Windows server or what you actually need is a NAS?

==

OK, how about these?
comes with 32GB RAM, SSD and Server 2022 / 2019. The only question is how many CALs are included?

==

Found extra links:

Don't know whether it can only be used on HP servers?
Maybe MicroServer ?

Contact HP representatives before making purchase.

==

UK site selling Windows Server 2022 Essentials ROK for hardware vendors. So apparently these kit can only be installed on specific vendor's machines.

Last edited:

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
I believe it's compatible too. But will PC Liquidations sell and install Server 2022 Essentials and give you a real OEM key (which gives you 25 users or 50 devices at the time of installation)? If not and it turns out to be a Standard key then you have to buy CAL license key individually or in packs for client machines.

The other question is, do you really want a Windows server or what you actually need is a NAS?

As far as I know, only Win10 Home and Pro are only being sold on that machine, the T130. I was planning on purchasing the T130, then just buy a license key for 2022 Essentials since I don't have to worry about CAL licenses, unless there is something that I don't know about. I'm just going to be using the T130 for a home lab and connect it to my home network. Nothing big at all. I do already have a synology nas, but I am wanting to continue to get my feet wet in AD, GPO, file permissions etc.

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
So T130 is actually a tower server.

Good luck finding DELL Reseller Option Kit for Server 2022 Essentials. Hope Dell will sell it directly to you.

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
What's Reseller Option Kit? I was just planning to download WS2022E onto usb kit, boot off of that, install it then activate with a license key. :(

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
What's Reseller Option Kit? I was just planning to download WS2022E onto usb kit, boot off of that, install it then activate with a license key. :(
OEM version for a specific hardware vendor? CDROM media and a cd key? MS changes name all the time.

There are a lot of smaller computer vendors contracted with large hardware vendors like DELL, HP, LENOVO, etc who sell PC/servers to business consumers.

MS's own OEM version a bit more expensive which can be install on any machine, and vender's own option kit a bit cheaper (well, usually) but can only be installed on branded machine. Both will be locked to a specific machine once installed and activated. Just like OEM version of Win10/11 locked to vendor's
shipped PC.

As the link I posted earlier, UK ServerPlus sell 4 different brand of Windows Server 2022 Essentials ROK: Fujitsu, Lenovo, Dell and HPE
It seems there is no MS's own OEM version for Server 2012 Essentials now. It's all branded.

==

OK, found Dell's ROK available. 2 in stock from BLT

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Hello all, I'm looking to buy a machine that supports Windows Server 2022 Essentials (maybe older). The thing is, after doing research I've learned that setting a WS OS on a standard motherboard isn't easy since there aren't many drivers around. Can anyone recommend a board with a cpu combo that has drivers for WS2022E (or maybe something from Dell or HP, not to expensive though!) I'm looking to create just a very basic home lab with a windows server. Thanks for any help.
I'm not a Windows Server admin by any means, but where is it said that its picky about hardware compatibility? Any used Xeon platform is likely to run Windows Server out of the box. And like lantis3 said, there's a good chance you want to virtualize your OS(s) anyway, provided you have enough physical RAM to comfortable juggle multiple VMs. What could you possibly need drivers for? You're not going to have a dGPU or sound card on a server.

FWIW you can get a Windows license key for very cheap online:

I'm assuming Server Essentials is a gentler entry into the environment, but it sounds like you want to learn the nuts and bolts anyway.

With Azure, your VMs are hosted off premise (meaning in Microsoft's datacenters) and you pay by the hour. Needless to say, that doesn't align well with what you've expressed. (It will likely cost more, and it's no longer a home lab.)

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
With Azure, your VMs are hosted off premise (meaning in Microsoft's datacenters) and you pay by the hour. Needless to say, that doesn't align well with what you've expressed. (It will likely cost more, and it's no longer a home lab.)
Hey manly, I tried doing it by Azure until I found out that MS doesn't have Essentials available, I'm trying to avoid going anything above Essentials because then I'd have to deal with CALs.

Lantis: I'm looking to get one of those ProLiant HP servers, however from what I gather, I have no other choice but to buy the WS2022E license directly from HP right? Thanks guys for all of these info. I have been eyeing this one for the last couple of days. I was hoping if you could tell me why this is so cheap even if this is new. As of right now this is 310$. The ones you get online are over $1000+. Does this specific model (below) not come with something that the ones on other vendor sites do?

Last edited:

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
I'm just going to go ahead and probably purchase the one on amazon . But before I purchase that, I just wanted to absolutely make sure that I'm doing this right. The link above, will that work with the Proliant Microserver G10+ v2 (below)? Is this the HPE ROK WS2022E license?

Last edited:

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
I'm just going to go ahead and probably purchase the one on amazon . But before I purchase that, I just wanted to absolutely make sure that I'm doing this right. The link above, will that work with the Proliant Microserver G10+ v2 (below)? Is this the HPE ROK WS2022E license?

Found that Provantage has better price. No idea what Ams mean though.

Chat with HP representatives

Last edited:

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002

Unfortunately, I didn't get any luck with that. When I tried to get a quote for some reason they emailed me back saying something about my validation was not confirmed. I'm guessing the reason is I put my "company name" as my Home? I'll try again, but I feel like at this point it would be easier to get 2019 Essentials rather than the 2022 to make things easier. I understand end of support was in January of 2024 and the extended is 2029. Is the extended support something we have to pay?

Last edited:

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
I mean chat with them, not email them. Chat with them and give them the Newegg and Provantage links see if the item is really compatible.

I don't see big features difference between 2019/2022 too. Extended support only means that there will be no new features will be added, security patch will be still be released however. You don't pay extra to get extended support, just like Win11/10/8/7/XP.

Reactions: Aolish

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, already chatted with them. One of them did not help much and the other sent me to another website that links to their partners I believe, I selected one of their partners and sent them an email, but they never emailed me back. It's okay, I went ahead and I ordered the Proliant on Amazon along with 2 Ironwolf Seagate's. As far as the license for Windows Server 2022 Essentials go, I'll probably go with the Provantage link. Its nice and cheap, I just hope the license will work with this Proliant. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll let you guys know how it works out. Chances are I'll be back as I expect to have problems. lol

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
Some good news, I got the HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus v2, my HDDs for a Raid 1 array and got a UPS. The only thing I'm waiting for now is a 3.5 inch bracket to install an SSD into one of the bays in which to install windows server on. However I still have not gotten my license yet for windows server and will most likely get it from provantage. I just want to make sure that this license will work as I know returning these licenses might not be allowed. If anyone has any info on whether this will work or not, please drop a post. Thanks.

Found that Provantage has better price. No idea what Ams mean though.
[/URL]

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
Was wondering if someone could help me, I'm not to good with server stuff, it looks like I bought SATA drives instead of SAS drives. The Proliant comes with SAS connectors. Is it possible to connect SATA drives into a SAS port on the Proliant? I don't want to fry anything.

Attachments

• 20240218_163632.jpg
    20240218_163632.jpg
    971.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: