windows 8 vs windows 7 for gaming and older games

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
I have 2 computers in my house, my main PC and my living room PC. Currently i have windows 7 installed on my main pc (lots of use), and the windows 8 beta installed in the living room (server, dont use as much). The beta just ran out on windows 8(restarts every 2 hours), so now i have a decision to make. Im probably gonna purchase windows 8, and put it on the living room pc, but in my experience with windows 8, i actually dont mind any of the new features.

Im was thinking since i dont mind the new look, and small performance improvements wont hurt either, i would put windows 8 on my main computer, and then stick windows 7 on the living room PC.

My biggest concern with doing this though, is how windows 8 will handle older games. I dont want to get into a situation where i go to play an older game, and it doesnt work with windows 8, but does work with windows 7.

Not looking to discuss anything else about windows 8, besides game compatibility. Just want to know if windows 8 is fine for playing older games.

Side question: I know in the past it has been this way, but if i buy an "upgrade" its really just a full lisence, and you dont need a windows 7 key to use it. Did this multiple times with windows 7, so i just assume windows 8 is the same way. STOP CALLING IT A DAMN UPGRADE!!!!!!!!

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
If you want to upgrade, just upgrade the media center one to SYSTEM BUILDER version, that way if you want to try it on main pc you can in the future. I would just keep it in living room till you actually thing it will play the games/apps you want before putting on main PC though, if win 8 is what you really want..you won't notice a single difference between the two version for gaming.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
If you want to upgrade, just upgrade the media center one to SYSTEM BUILDER version, that way if you want to try it on main pc you can in the future. I would just keep it in living room till you actually thing it will play the games/apps you want before putting on main PC though, if win 8 is what you really want..you won't notice a single difference between the two version for gaming.

In the past, with any "upgrade" I got from MS/digital river, at worst all i had to do was call after installing on a new PC. I honestly think a serial is a serial, and they dont know the difference.

Even in the past with vista, i used a serial from a broken laptop on my desktop, and again, all i had to do was call and say its on a new computer.

As far as older games go, I have a bunch that were before my time, that i eventually want to play, so ill only know when i want to actually play them.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2006
I am curious about this as well because I am thinking of getting Windows 8 for my next computer.
Do you have any particular examples?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
My biggest concern with doing this though, is how windows 8 will handle older games. I dont want to get into a situation where i go to play an older game, and it doesnt work with windows 8, but does work with windows 7.

Not looking to discuss anything else about windows 8, besides game compatibility. Just want to know if windows 8 is fine for playing older games.

I'm playing some older games on Win8 Pro x64 ,Icewind Dale 1(release date 2000) with all mods including widescreen mod,Baldur's Gate 1(release date 1998) with mods etc and BG2( release date 2000), Civilizations 4 (release date 2005)etc so far all the games I have thrown at it work .

I think like any OS its down to drivers and game in question but I've had no issues so far,btw I'm using nvidia card(560Ti) with latest official drivers.

Might be easier if you gave us a list of those older games in question?

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
From my personal experience over last couple windows versions, the main thing I've come across is 32 vs 64 install. Publishers seem to go cheap on the installation program and they are more likely to run into a problem running on a 64 bit system than the program itself.

Another non-OS item I've come across is that nvidia seems to eventually remove some out of date or no longer actively used previous standards from their drivers, so something could run mostly ok on an ati gpu but would get no where or keep crashing on nvidia.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
For what it's worth (this isn't a Windows 8 vs 7 thing), I had issues getting Jedi Knight 2 to run 3D on an AMD card (my 5850), but when I loaded it up on my brother's Geforce 560Ti that he let me borrow, it ran it just fine. Maybe Nvidia is just better with the old games like that.

Note, I have had no problems running Thief 1/2 on AMD hardware.

Jan 23, 2006
There should be some sort of database for what games are incompatible with what OS and what graphics card.
Is there such a thing?

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Windows 7 and by extension Windows 8 (interface aside) have good support for older titles, mostly because of native dx9 support versus emulated with DX10. In many cases I've had XP games run better under Win7-64 than they did under native XP. The catch is that drivers change all the time so something that worked one day might not work two months from not and vice versus.

That being said, I've had alot of success with older titles, but it could be that Nvidia drivers have been better in that regard. Most of the problems I did have were usually directly related to drivers.

For example, KOTOR 1 has a rendering issue with newer cards that causes a crash that generally happens between 2-10 minutes of gameplay. Some thought it was a OS/Driver issue, but come to find out all I had to do was edit one line in the config file and all was cured. I don't own KOTOR 2, but I'm curious if it's a similar issue. They are based on the same engine after all.

Edit: Another example. I couldn't get C&C Generals to work at all in XP SP3, yet it ran with no problems in Win7-64. Go figure.

dbailey

Nov 30, 2000
You'll also have to have a licensed copy of either xp, vista or 7 installed on a pc before an upgrade to 8. They took away the work arounds this time.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
You'll also have to have a licensed copy of either xp, vista or 7 installed on a pc before an upgrade to 8. They took away the work arounds this time.
Ugh, that sucks. I do have old xp licenses that i could use before installing, and then buy windows 8 from windows.com for 40 bucks, but does that mean any time i want to do system upgrades/large overhauls that i will always have to install xp first?

Id be cool with doing it one time, and then from there, i would have a working serial that i could use with an oem windows 8 disk to install in the future. Is this what they do?

EDIT: tried looking this up, and its even more unclear. It says you can install, and they will supply you with a key good for installation and activation on one PC. What about reinstalls though?

I should note that I have always had good luck with MS with any windows key. I have always been able to re-activate any key, and im pretty sure my windows 7 copy is technically an "upgrade" even though I didnt upgrade from anything (and used it on basically 2 different computers when i upgraded almost all the components). When vista came out, i actually took the serial off of a broken laptop, and was able to use it on my PC. So knowing this, as long as they provide me with a serial, and its possible to install without having to have xp installed (after i actually get the serial), then i think the key would be fine for multiple activations.

Anyone know where i can get a oem iso of windows 8 x64? I rememeber digital river used to have them for windows 7, but i cant seem to find that.

Last edited:

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Ugh, that sucks. I do have old xp licenses that i could use before installing, and then buy windows 8 from windows.com for 40 bucks, but does that mean any time i want to do system upgrades/large overhauls that i will always have to install xp first?

Id be cool with doing it one time, and then from there, i would have a working serial that i could use with an oem windows 8 disk to install in the future. Is this what they do?

EDIT: tried looking this up, and its even more unclear. It says you can install, and they will supply you with a key good for installation and activation on one PC. What about reinstalls though?

I should note that I have always had good luck with MS with any windows key. I have always been able to re-activate any key, and im pretty sure my windows 7 copy is technically an "upgrade" even though I didnt upgrade from anything (and used it on basically 2 different computers when i upgraded almost all the components). When vista came out, i actually took the serial off of a broken laptop, and was able to use it on my PC. So knowing this, as long as they provide me with a serial, and its possible to install without having to have xp installed (after i actually get the serial), then i think the key would be fine for multiple activations.

Anyone know where i can get a oem iso of windows 8 x64? I rememeber digital river used to have them for windows 7, but i cant seem to find that.

When you download Win8 via upgrade assistant you get the option to make a Win8 ISO to DVD or USB(fits on 4GB USB stick) for later use,also you can use this to do a clean install(ie no OS installed previously) ,http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-used-to/1726d238-98fb-4634-a468-04645a8ee097

1. Run the registry editor (regedit)
2. Find the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE
3. Change the value for 'MediaBootInstall' from 1 to 0
4. Open an elevated command prompt (run as admin)
5. Run the following command: slmgr -rearm
6. Reboot
This is also a good read,http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade-media-144648

When I upgraded from 7 to 8 ,I made both Win8 ISO DVD and USB for later use,then I can do clean installs using above method anytime I want.

I should also say when you do the upgrade method it makes a folder (may be hidden) called ESD, which has Win8 so you can even make a Win8 DVD from that folder etc...this is how to http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/39131-Windows-8-bootable-DVD-from-ESD

As you can see plenty of options .

Last edited:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
When you download Win8 via upgrade assistant you get the option to make a Win8 ISO to DVD or USB(fits on 4GB USB stick) for later use,also you can use this to do a clean install(ie no OS installed previously) ,http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-used-to/1726d238-98fb-4634-a468-04645a8ee097

This is also a good read,http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade-media-144648

When I upgraded from 7 to 8 ,I made both Win8 ISO DVD and USB for later use,then I can do clean installs using above method anytime I want.

I should also say when you do the upgrade method it makes a folder (may be hidden) called ESD, which has Win8 so you can even make a Win8 DVD from that folder etc...this is how to http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/39131-Windows-8-bootable-DVD-from-ESD

As you can see plenty of options .

sweet, thanks. Will probably do this this weekend. From responses on here, looks like i dont have too much to worry about as far as game compatibility goes.

Will this void my xp serial though? Well not void, but my idea would be to install xp on my computer, upgrade to 8 and get that serial, and then i also am probably going to buy one more license for my sisters computer, which i just realized she was also using the beta up until now. So if i could install it and use it one more time, it would make this pretty painless for me.

Also anyone know if the media center is included with any versions of windows 8? I use it paired with my HDhomerun prime to watch TV, and also it extends so i can use my xboxes as cable boxes. How much are they charging for it? Anyone know of any alternatives (disregarding using it with xboxes)? Sorry for getting so off topic.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
sweet, thanks. Will probably do this this weekend. From responses on here, looks like i dont have too much to worry about as far as game compatibility goes.

Will this void my xp serial though? Well not void, but my idea would be to install xp on my computer, upgrade to 8 and get that serial, and then i also am probably going to buy one more license for my sisters computer, which i just realized she was also using the beta up until now. So if i could install it and use it one more time, it would make this pretty painless for me.

Also anyone know if the media center is included with any versions of windows 8? I use it paired with my HDhomerun prime to watch TV, and also it extends so i can use my xboxes as cable boxes. How much are they charging for it? Anyone know of any alternatives (disregarding using it with xboxes)? Sorry for getting so off topic.

I've heard reports that it does not check for your previous key ,only that you got an OS installed ie XP,Vista,Win7 etc before it does the upgrade,I can't confirm this since I did a proper upgrade.
As to XP key technically its void when you install/upgrade to Win8 because Win8 key replaces it.

As to WMC(only Win8 Pro can have WMC but you got to buy it ,however you can get it free see link),read this if you want it free but hurry you only got to 31st Jan,http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

Btw can take a few days to get WMC key via email ,mine took 2 days.

Last edited:

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
well booked uit this morning gulp
steam had better work

Steam works fine,I'm playing XCOM,Dishonored,Left4dead2,Skyrim,Risen2 to name a few ;).

You may have to verify cache of the game via Steam after upgrade to Win8 but thats about it.

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I doubt you'll see much of a difference in how older titles (well, almost any software really) work between 7 and 8 really, at least barring any driver issues which should hopefully be worked out by now or in the near future.

And I'd always heard bad things about running KOTOR on the PC personally, regardless of platform.

Last edited:

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I doubt you'll see much of a difference in how older titles (well, almost any software really) work between 7 and 8 really, at least barring any driver issues which should hopefully be worked out by now or in the near future.

And I'd always heard bad things about running KOTOR on the PC personally, regardless of platform.

Update on KOTOR,my disk 4 for was corrupt on install (it kept asking for disk 4) so I did this trick(basically you copy all cab files to a new desktop folder with modded INF file and run it from there) http://social.bioware.com/forum/Star-Wars-Knights-of-the-Old-Republic/SWKotOR-Technical-Support-Self-Help/Please-Insert-disc-4-5681092-1.html

I have KOTOR working fine on Win8 x64 Pro ,made a scout and did a quick play,I installed 1.3 patch last.

Another game I can add to my list ;) .

Going to install KOTOR2 later with mods.

Update Part2:Installed KOTOR2 and patch all went smooth and then played a bit to make sure,then installed TSLRCM 1.8.2 Full Install mod with M4-78 Enhancement Project mod(no issues,did another quick play ).

Links for mods http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm/downloads/tslrcm-18

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-...od-tslrcm/downloads/m4-78-enhancement-project

Funny thing is when I installed KOTOR2 on Win7 years ago I had to install the mss32.dll file to get it to work,this time round did not have to on Win8,maybe because I'm using Asus Xonar DX sound card rather then my old Creative Audigy card back then.
All working fine so no issues with either :) ,another game to add to my list that works with Win8.

Last edited:

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
meh
steam constant hangs on startup and installing games in windows8
have to wait for responses constantly
right click, install game works w/o issue in 7
every single time in 8 the fucker freezes
fuck this shit

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
meh
steam constant hangs on startup and installing games in windows8
have to wait for responses constantly
right click, install game works w/o issue in 7
every single time in 8 the fucker freezes
fuck this shit

We could do with more info like was it upgrade or clean install,what games are giving you issues, any error mesages etc.....

Check event viewer and reliability history for issues.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
fresh install and reformat in game is no issue
just steam menu and overlay lag,everything has a delay
exp:uninstalled library games,roll over em,right click 2 install,freeze,stupid wondows circle,ait for steam to respond, or close program,seems better today
<.<
no hard lockw machine
im like 50/50 here