Windows 7,8,10 and Safe disc, Securom

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
It is THEIR DRM.

Nope. Microsoft DID NOT make those DRM products.

SecuROM was developed by Sony DADC. Presumably the same folks behind the the infamous CD DRM scandal of 2005.

Safe Disc was developed by Macrovision. The same folks behind the DRM that prevented analogue copying of DVDs. They go by Rovi now. They left the DRM business a few years ago. So obviously Safe Disc never gets patched for vulnerabilities.

Feb 4, 2009
Here is my thoughts. These are all windows XP games and they all still work on windows XP.
Microsoft should have not allowed this level of control for DRM but they did. Many of these games hardly get played any longer so endanger almost every current PC so a very, very small minority of people can still play these games.
Anyone impacted by this I see nothing unethical downloading a pirated "fixed" version if paying GOG a few dollars isn't possible or its no longer published. A company that knows its old unpatched game is not going to care about pirates and even if they had the balls to sue someone it would be comical and I doubt they'd be a fine.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
So, what's up with MS closing a gaping security hole? And more seriously, how is this up to MS and not the scummy publishers that used the DRM in the first place? Please, explain why MS is responsible for code they didn't write, had no part in, and weren't responsible for?

Original post was for information only...however I hate DRM schemes as much as anyone, especially when they are so intrusive! Happy to hear EA is addressingthe problem.

The Wife

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Here is my thoughts. These are all windows XP games and they all still work on windows XP.
Microsoft should have not allowed this level of control for DRM but they did. Many of these games hardly get played any longer so endanger almost every current PC so a very, very small minority of people can still play these games.
Anyone impacted by this I see nothing unethical downloading a pirated "fixed" version if paying GOG a few dollars isn't possible or its no longer published. A company that knows its old unpatched game is not going to care about pirates and even if they had the balls to sue someone it would be comical and I doubt they'd be a fine.

IIRC, you're free to make or download copies of any software you already own a license for, provided they're for personal use only. It's only illegal under the DMCA to circumvent copy protection. Which you're not doing. They could only go after you for seeding the game.