Windows 10 Spinning Down and then Spinning Up HD

araknis

Oct 19, 1999
I have a HTPC that I recently reformatted to Windows 10 Pro from Server 2008 R2. I noticed now that the Storage HDDs spin up and then back down every 30 minutes or so. This is with no activity. I would expect the Storage HDD to spin up only when I try to access it. I never had a problem when I was on Server 2008 R2. Any ideas?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Have you gone into your advanced power plan settings, and changed the time before the drive goes to sleep? Maybe that would be an easy fix?

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Any reason for swapping from Server 2008 to Win 10 for an HTPC ? I would have just stayed on Server 2008 if it did all you needed it to. It really has no need to go on the web and would be secure.

araknis

Oct 19, 1999
Have you gone into your advanced power plan settings, and changed the time before the drive goes to sleep? Maybe that would be an easy fix?

Ideally, I would have the boot/SSD drive always on (services are always running) and then the storage drives would just go to sleep after say 20 minutes of inactivity. If I try to access something on the storage drive, the drive would wake back up. Right now there just seems to be random spinning down and then spinning up of the storage drives when nothing is happening on them. Or am I better off just not putting the Sleep setting on for HD?

araknis

Oct 19, 1999
Any reason for swapping from Server 2008 to Win 10 for an HTPC ? I would have just stayed on Server 2008 if it did all you needed it to. It really has no need to go on the web and would be secure.
''

Friend had an extra license for Windows 10 and I was having some Windows Update issues on 2008 which worried me due to all the security fixes being pushed out. Figured it would be a good time to update a 10 year old OS. Everything is fine except for this spinning up/spinning down HD issue.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ideally, I would have the boot/SSD drive always on (services are always running) and then the storage drives would just go to sleep after say 20 minutes of inactivity. If I try to access something on the storage drive, the drive would wake back up. Right now there just seems to be random spinning down and then spinning up of the storage drives when nothing is happening on them. Or am I better off just not putting the Sleep setting on for HD?

I'll let someone here who still uses spinners answer that. It's not the first time I've seen someone talk about their HDDs spinning up and down.

I haven't used a HDD since 2010-2011 I believe, so a lot has changed with them since that time.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
It could be Windows Defender causing all the drive activity. There are programs out there such as Ultimate Windows Tweaker, Windows Tweaker, WinAero Tweaker and a couple of others, that can disable Windows Defender. You would install your own antivirus (I use Avast Free) .. Also use a program like ShutUp10 to turn off all the telemetry being sent back to Big Brother

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
What is the HTPC being used for? I would generally just have a hard drive set to no spin down, and let Windows put the computer to sleep when you want to. I have never been a fan of a hard drive spinning up and down a lot. It saves a little energy, but it will the drive faster IMO spinning up and down all the time.