Windows 10 - Heavy Xbox Integration

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
As long as I can update and not loose all my data I'll be happy. Or I hope they give us the option to do a clean install. That way I can just install on my ssd because all my big data is on the platter drive.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
What am I reading? They aren't adding anything new but sweenish has pointed out many new things. Universal apps that can function between Xbox, and other windows devices isn't at all new? Even OS X can't make apps work universally with iOS. Just because you don't care doesn't mean there is nothing new at all.

I would trade all of those things you listed to get outlook express back.

Microsoft can not even give us an email app. Heck, outlook express was around in the 90s, but can not work today?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
There is a mail app included with windows 8. There are tons of free ones to download. Windows live mail is included with the windows essentials package.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I'd love to know if anyone has a solution for this too. I have a Hauppauge usb device that I use to capture OTA stations. The Hauppauge software that came with the device blows compared to WMC. If Win10 abandons WMC I might be stuck with 8.1 until I find a suitable replacement.

I've looked into Channel Master OTA DVR and other solutions. I think only the channel master does not have a monthly fee. The other including one Tivo solution has a fee. I'm not going to pay to DVR or watch FREE TV. It's just silly.

Right now I use a Mac Mini 2011, but I want to see if I can run this on a cheaper, smaller, less power consuming device. It's really sad no one has a good solution to this issue.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I get all the local channels off Uverse, but admittedly never watch them. For the big 4 networks, all their content is available on Hulu usually the day after it airs.

Hulu works for me, except when people come over and want to watch "the game". I'm going to explore some alternatives though. The HD Homerun has been pretty great and the quality off straight OTA is really something else.

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I've looked into Channel Master OTA DVR and other solutions. I think only the channel master does not have a monthly fee. The other including one Tivo solution has a fee. I'm not going to pay to DVR or watch FREE TV. It's just silly.

Right now I use a Mac Mini 2011, but I want to see if I can run this on a cheaper, smaller, less power consuming device. It's really sad no one has a good solution to this issue.

Destrekor mentioned some solutions that might be viable alternatives. I admit though I haven't had a chance to check them out. I own a Channel Master dvr for the downstairs tv and it does work really well. I love it. Your right there is no fee like Tivo but it comes with a heftier price tag.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Destrekor mentioned some solutions that might be viable alternatives. I admit though I haven't had a chance to check them out. I own a Channel Master dvr for the downstairs tv and it does work really well. I love it. Your right there is no fee like Tivo but it comes with a heftier price tag.

I'm going to check some of those. My original intent with the system was a full media center with Blu-Ray ISO playback off a storage server. But I realized I don't watch movies and on the rare occasion I do I can use Apple TV or Roku or just a regular Blu-Ray player. So all I need is a OTA DVR solution.

As for Channel Master I'm glad it works well, and I don't mind paying more to avoid being dinged monthly. I don't need wireless as my setup is fully wired. My concern would be the quality of guide data and continued support for that data. If they stop providing that data then I suppose it becomes a $250 paperweight.

It would be great to switch to it and retire the Mac Mini and sell it to someone who can make better use of it.

EDIT: Wow! Great reviews on Amazon. The allure of the HD Home Run setup is that in theory I can use it on any Windows computer in the apartment however in the 6 years I've used it I've never used it that way. I tried a few iOS and Android apps and they don't really work all that well.

Also found this in a review:

"January, this year (2015), at the Las Vegas CES show, Channel Master announced an additional feature that will be added to the DVR+ platform, Linear TV. This will be in the form of a free update download for the DVR+ in the near future (early 2015 - last I heard, March). Linear TV, or "over-the-top" (OTT) TV, is basically live cable channels (WGN, CNN, etc) and some recorded "looped" content that is available on the Internet through streaming technology. Many free channels will be added (Internet connection mandatory to receive this programming). These channels will be in the same Rovi/DVR+ guide as the over the air channels and current Internet channels (Vudu, YouTube, Pandora). All the channels were not announced (work in progress) but many are promised! For more info and some of the additional cable channels to be added Google "Channel Master Linear TV"."

Think I'll have to order this. However, if an Apple or Google gets into this space I think it will be no contest. Xbox one actually is in this space but just in Europe - unfortunately. If they released a US OTA adapter I might turn the thing on every once in a while.

Last edited:

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
With all the xbox tie ins, I just hope it means that MS will release the previous xbox exclusives on win 10 as well. That'd be great news.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
What am I reading? They aren't adding anything new but sweenish has pointed out many new things. Universal apps that can function between Xbox, and other windows devices isn't at all new? Even OS X can't make apps work universally with iOS. Just because you don't care doesn't mean there is nothing new at all.

Some people will continue to bash all things produced by Microsoft regardless of how accurate the bashing is. It happens every release and probably won't ever end.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I would trade all of those things you listed to get outlook express back.
Microsoft can not even give us an email app. Heck, outlook express was around in the 90s, but can not work today?

Don't you have a copy of Office? Outlook Express was pretty bad anyway...

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Why should people buy an operating system when there is nothing new about it?

What is microsoft bringing to the table that is new and innovative? Nothing, thats what.

This is where you automatically lose the argument for keeping your head in the sand and deciding to ignore all the new stuff they ARE bringing.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Some people will continue to bash all things produced by Microsoft regardless of how accurate the bashing is. It happens every release and probably won't ever end.

Is Gabe Newell invading the forums too? lol He's my favorite Microsoft hater and he has no reasoning that makes sense to me.