Windows 10 - Heavy Xbox Integration

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Microsoft had an event today where they unveiled some new features for Windows 10. They went into the more typical OS features, and they saved the best for last... gaming!

The summary is...

• Windows 10 will have an Xbox app that essentially serves as an interface with Xbox Live. I assume that subscription stuff is linked.
  • Windows 10 will support streaming from an Xbox One. You can control the game with a controller hooked up to your PC (not sure if it requires the Xbox One controller), and you can even shut off the console through the app.
  • Windows 10 also marks Microsoft's second attempt at cross-platform gaming. Fable Legends will also release on the PC and allow X1 vs. PC play. No other games were announced as they mostly pushed streaming.
  • Windows 10 will feature a Game DVR that automatically records the last 30 seconds. Accessible through Windows + G.
  • Windows 10 will support DirectX 12, which will be coming later this year. It's supported by Unity and UE4.
For the most important non-gaming aspect, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for the first year for all Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7 users.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Free upgrade? Crazy. When is the expected release?

KT

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I have the urge to buy Win 8.1 right now since I feel it's time for a clean installation...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Free upgrade? Crazy. When is the expected release?

I believe it's later this year. I don't recall them giving a date yet (the presentation isn't done; they're talking about holographic stuff now), but they also said they'll be talking about more gaming-related Windows 10 stuff at GDC.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Don't forget the HoloLens! Hah, really cool looking, but not sure how practical it is going to be.

They showed a picture of a phone and tablet also when talking about the Xbox integration, so I wonder if streaming to phone would be possible. Seems like streaming to tablet is a given.

Also, Xbox is going to be joining all the other Windows devices with universal apps. Wonder if we are going to be getting a lot of Xbox games as universal apps on the PC now. Could be good (get to play some console exclusives?) and bad (UI might not take advantage of mouse/keyboard)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Don't forget the HoloLens! Hah, really cool looking, but not sure how practical it is going to be.

They're letting people try it out after the presentation, so I'll be interested to read about it.

They showed a picture of a phone and tablet also when talking about the Xbox integration, so I wonder if streaming to phone would be possible. Seems like streaming to tablet is a given.

I believe they said that streaming was from the X1 to PCs and tablets only. They specifically mentioned a Surface Pro, so I don't know if it's also only x86 tablets. Microsoft doesn't seem to care much about Windows RT (the ARM variant) anymore.

Also, Xbox is going to be joining all the other Windows devices with universal apps. Wonder if we are going to be getting a lot of Xbox games as universal apps on the PC now. Could be good (get to play some console exclusives?) and bad (UI might not take advantage of mouse/keyboard)

There are plenty of games that would work well on a PC that are currently exclusive to the X1. Unfortunately, Microsoft either isn't planning on it, or wants to announce these later.

lord_emperor

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I expect someone to get the streaming capability separated from Windows 10 as soon as it shows up in the technical preview. But it is the strongest case I've seen for owning an Xbox One so far.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I have not kept up to date on Win 10 at all. does it have the same look and feel as 8 or 7?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I have not kept up to date on Win 10 at all. does it have the same look and feel as 8 or 7?

It should be much better than Windows 8. No more Metro/tablet interface nonsense AFAIK. More like a proper desktop OS.

I think Microsoft is doing a lot of good right now, especially since they fired the guy who was in charge of Windows 8 and its missteps (thank god). The free upgrade sounds great.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I'm still on 7. Will wait and see what the reaction is, but unless I can arrange things so I never see that starting screen of tiles I'll stay with 7 until support runs out.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I have no interest in X1 integration, but can see where people would. Personally - I think it should be more of a 'across the board streaming solution' integration rather than THEIR console...but whatever.

They say free, but wasn't this supposed to be a sub based OS or did they not bring that up?

Curious if they'd let you test it (dual boot) first before upgrading to something you hate.

They didn't get rid of metro....they just made it so it's a hybrid. I think you can hide all of it if you don't want it, but it is there.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

From what they said, the upgrade will be free from a year, but they're not entirely certain what will happen after that year is up. Microsoft calls it their "Windows as a Service" initiative, which a lot of people are assuming means "Windows as a Subscription". :p

It should be much better than Windows 8. No more Metro/tablet interface nonsense AFAIK. More like a proper desktop OS.

As a desktop user, I'm not a fan of the Modern interface, but I think it works really well as a HTPC 10-foot UI. My only wish is that audio wasn't so limited.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
From what they said, the upgrade will be free from a year, but they're not entirely certain what will happen after that year is up. Microsoft calls it their "Windows as a Service" initiative, which a lot of people are assuming means "Windows as a Subscription". :p

As a desktop user, I'm not a fan of the Modern interface, but I think it works really well as a HTPC 10-foot UI. My only wish is that audio wasn't so limited.

I strongly doubt Windows 10 will use a subscription-based pricing model. I think they understand what an awful, self-destructive idea that is. Longtime Windows users will drop like flies.

And - just to be clear - I really do like Windows 8. The performance improvements over 7 are too big for me to ignore, and the silly UI stuff can be mostly disabled within a few minutes. No biggie.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Windows 8 has been awesome for me. Lightning quick and problem free.

KT

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I strongly doubt Windows 10 will use a subscription-based pricing model. I think they understand what an awful, self-destructive idea that is. Longtime Windows users will drop like flies.

And - just to be clear - I really do like Windows 8. The performance improvements over 7 are too big for me to ignore, and the silly UI stuff can be mostly disabled within a few minutes. No biggie.

Yep lots of people will be making threads about how to get Linux running. Or people would just jump ship to mac. It would suck for gamers who want to keep up with the latest DX version for their games too. I for one will refuse to subscribe. I will have a backup of my drive prior to upgrade and will roll back in a heartbeat if I need to pay a subscription fee.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Yep lots of people will be making threads about how to get Linux running. Or people would just jump ship to mac. It would suck for gamers who want to keep up with the latest DX version for their games too. I for one will refuse to subscribe. I will have a backup of my drive prior to upgrade and will roll back in a heartbeat if I need to pay a subscription fee.

What if its as cheap as 20-30/year? I think it really depends. At a price that low I can imagine most will simply subscribe. Hell I'm paying 120/year for spotify so I can listen to any music wherever I am as long as I have a connection.
I got Win 7 for about 100 bucks. Over 4 years its come down to about 25/year which ain't that bad.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Windows 10 seems pretty cool, and I'd love if the "free upgrade for a year" thing is true. However, I won't love it if they treat it like "Windows as a service". Once I buy a computer/operating system, I shouldn't have to pay a regular fee just to keep using it. So I'll pass on the "free upgrade" if it really is just a gateway to using Windows as a service, and they better have a full paid version of Windows 10 or I'm not upgrading at all.

HitAnyKey

Oct 4, 2013
Thanks OP. Free for Windows 7 users? nice!

Hopefully it supports fresh install (with Product key ofc).

Xbox One integration is kinda interesting.

Is there any built-in Hypervisor client so you can run your own vms like Virtual PC or Hyper-V included?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
It's not "free", it's "free for a year". I guess they are going subscription model which makes sense as they probably want people to get the Windows 10/OFfice 365 combo/ One Drive combo. Which I'm happy to do as they are all good products.