Windows 10 file sharing works from *some* Android apps

exscape

Oct 22, 2017
I'm trying to sync files with the SyncMe Wireless Android app to my new desktop computer running Windows 10 (Fall Creators Update). The app uses plain Windows File Sharing, i.e. the SMB protocol.
However, when I try to connect, I just get a "connection reset". Checking logcat on the phone, I don't get much more useful info: it throws a "java.net.SocketException: Connection reset" while attempting to read from the socket, during logon.

Connecting from SyncMe Wireless on my phone to my desktop fails as above.
Connecting from the MiXplorer app on my phone to my desktop also fails ("failed to connect: 0.0.0.0<00>/192.168.0.100", where .0.100 is the desktop's IP address)
Connecting from the AndSMB app on my phone to my desktop works.
Connecting from my Windows 10 laptop to my desktop works.

Additionally:
Connecting from SyncMe Wireless on my phone to my laptop works.
Connecting from MiXplorer on my phone to my laptop works.

Disabling the Windows Firewall changes nothing (as expected, since it works from some apps).
Blocking the ports in the Windows Firewall gives a timeout instead of a connection reset on the phone.

I've "checked" (re-entered) the username/password literally a dozen times by now, and tried both domain options in the app (WORKGROUP plus one with my computer's name).

Any ideas?

exscape

Oct 22, 2017
I managed to solve this by using Wireshark to look at the traffic. It turned out that it worked from apps using SMBv2, while SMB version 1 failed. With that knowledge in hand, it was easy to find out that Microsoft disabled SMBv1 in the Fall Creators Update.
It can be re-enabled by going to "Turn Windows features on or off" in the start menu. By default the client is installed, but the server is not.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and

surfingwzl

Dec 6, 2017
Thank you so so much for posting your solution! Literally signed up to this forum just to show my gratitude. I was totally pulling my hair out over this one

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Except, SMBv1 is a serious security risk for Windows machines, which is why MS disabled it. Maybe those Android apps should get on the ball, and support the current version of SMB, rather than an insecure, obsolete version.

dani_register

Jul 21, 2019
Same as surfingwzl. I signed up only to say thank you, this issue has been a pain. exscape, you are awesome.

Matimati

Feb 6, 2021
thank you exscape ! I signed up to only acknowledge your contribution.
You solved my problem. (I needed to reboot the computer to have windows accept smb1