Windows 10 and multi-monitor nightmare.

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Just hooked up a second monitor(a 22-inch Dell 1080p LCD),and a lot of my browser windows constantly open on the 2nd monitor.

My main monitor is a Samsung 32-inch S32D850 1440p LCD.

(This is with pretty much all the browsers I use- Opera 86, Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Firefox.)

Any idea why this is happening, and how do I fix it?

Help!

(sorry if this should be in the Displays forum, or another one. I'm not sure what's causing the problem.)

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
(sorry if this should be in the Displays forum, or another one. I'm not sure what's causing the problem.

I doubt that it thas to do with the Monitors, or and the browsers. It is probaly the Graphic card capacity/configuration.
Which we do not have any info. about.

:cool:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Please pardon the basic questions. I may not be able to help but this should get the ball rolling.

Is your 32" set up as your primary/main display in Windows settings and in the Nvidia Control Panel?

Are you running a Samsung or Dell monitor app that may be selecting the primary or main display?

In Windows settings - Display - Multiple Displays how is your main monitor set up? Extend these displays, Duplicate, Show only 1 or Show only 2?

Are your browsers the only apps opening on the 22" Dell new monitor or is it all types of apps?

If you drag an app from the new monitor over to the 32" and then close that app will it now open on the 32" monitor?

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
The 32-inch LCD is set as the main display in Nvidia's control panel.

(Oddly, the 32-inch is showing up as monitor 2 from Windows settings.)

In the Windows settings Multiple Displays section, it's set as extend these displays.

I am using DisplayFusion(it's a separate program) to set the 32-inch as the main monitor.

Random apps open on the 22-inch,like notepad.

Yes,dragging an app from the 22 over to the 32 and closing it works.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
The 32-inch LCD is set as the main display in Nvidia's control panel.

(Oddly, the 32-inch is showing up as monitor 2 from Windows settings.)

In the Windows settings Multiple Displays section, it's set as extend these displays.

I am using DisplayFusion(it's a separate program) to set the 32-inch as the main monitor.

Random apps open on the 22-inch,like notepad.

Yes,dragging an app from the 22 over to the 32 and closing it works.

Highlight monitor 2 in settings. Below "Extend this Display" check the box that says "Make this my main display". Apps should then open on that display. No need for Display Fusion, whatever that is.

Reactions: Muadib