Info Win10 licences won't be sold after Jan 31st 2023

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

Just a quick fyi

Reactions: igor_kavinski

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
@igor_kavinski - just got around to this quick, I had to enable SVM before I could enable Core isolation

First thing I noticed - unlocking my 3 bitlockered spinning disks went much faster. It would take about 5-10 seconds to unlock each after a reboot, less than 5 for each now. Nothing else was changed that I'm aware of besides these two settings. So maybe this will help, fingers crossed lol

edit - guess not. 37 seconds to load the first folder i tried to open on a spinning disk.

edit 2 - subsequent folder openings have taken less than 10, so it's still an improvement *shrug*

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Slowness is a tradeoff in performance they made specifically for Windows 10/11:

By using the new conversion model, sensitive data can be stored on the drive as soon as BitLocker is turned on. The encryption process doesn't need to finish first, and encryption doesn't adversely affect performance. The tradeoff is that the encryption process for pre-existing data takes more time.

Also, bitlocker impacts the writing speed of HDDs a LOT more:

In test 2, there is not a very large impact on reading performance of HDD, but there are obvious differences when writing data, and the writing performance has a loss of 50% - 62%.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Slowness is a tradeoff in performance they made specifically for Windows 10/11:

Also, bitlocker impacts the writing speed of HDDs a LOT more:

I'm not seeing slowness on writes, so again...not applicable.

It could be one of the drives is having an issue, but it’s been a pretty consistent problem for a while. I’ve made a number of changes over the 2 years of owning the platform, but this has been a running theme.

I appreciate that your even bothering to toss info my way though :D

Last edited:

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I've been thinking about purchasing a 2nd NUC to use as a media system. I bought a spare Win10 key in case I do, simply so I don't have to install 11 (yet).

For how long 11 has been out now, I can't believe all the issues I still read about people running into with it. Even for MS, the amount of time to smooth things out with a new OS has gotten ridiculous IMHO.
I do see issues with network items under This PC. Half the time it won't see my NAS when I open File Explorer. I have to keep it pinned for quick access. It still takes several seconds to search before it opens.
That sounds to me like the spin-up time for the NAS drives to be accessible. That won't be instant when they're not already spinning. Besides Windows power settings putting drives into standby that aren't being used, many NAS units also have power-saving settings or modes that might be adjustable if you wanted to keep them spinning 24/7 to keep the NAS instantly-accessible.

Last edited:

albi56r

Jan 16, 2023
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Why do so many people like Windows 10?
Because it doesn't have jarring and conflicting UI choices apparent in different parts of the OS like Windows 11.

Also, Windows 10 is stable. Win11 is kind of a work in progress, what in the Linux world is called a bleeding edge distribution. All kinds of cool and crappy stuff gets pushed into Windows 11, to see what sticks and what doesn't, annoying long time users to no end.