Win 10 Install and Upgrade-Preview Future Release 1703. Aka Creators Edition.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Link to Preview Future release 1703 in post # 415.

The Official Win 10 released today

Beside the Upgrade through the online Update there are independent install files for ISO/DVD and USB/Flash Drive.

The release have versions of Home and Pro x86 and x64.

Also Home N and Pro N available.

It is on Microsoft site here - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

-----------------------------------
I making this as a Sticky for members to offer help and advice in fresh install and upgrades.
----------------------------------

Please stick to technical content and do not turn it to a Thread of FUDs, Silly Fan Boyish comments, or any other useless content.

----------------------------------------
Edit 1 - Very Important.

While I do not know what the Future holds, at the moment the Activation server would Not take any key that is Not Win 10 per-se.

I.e., if One does fresh Install and have genuine legal version appropriate Win 7 key, there is No way to use this key to activate fresh Win 10.

The current way to go about it, is to Install plain vanilla Win 7 activate it, and the do an In-place Upgrade to Win 10 using the download DVD.

When One Activates the new Win 10 installation, the Activation server should be able to sense the legal Win 7 key and issue and Activated Win 10.

It is is an additional hour of work. But at the moment it seems to be the most viable solution for fresh install.

:cool:

Edit (July 30 Morning): The reality of the last two days shows better success in Upgrading (In-place or fresh Install) with DVD/Flash Drive rather than counting on ""Internet traffic"".

Step By Step instructions.

Step 1. Image*** the current Win7/8 Installation to an External Computer/Drive.

Step 2. Download and make a DVD/Flash Drive of the compatible version of Win 10.

Step 3. Use the DVD/Flash drive to do In-place Upgrade to the current Win7/8.

Step 4. When the Upgrade is done Make sure that every thing is OK and Activated by looking at the Control Panel/System screen.

Step 5. use a Key Finder to find the Activated Key of Win 10 (many freeware choices - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/tp/topkeyfinder.htm ).

------------------------------------------------------
At this point One should have functional computer running Win 10 with all your Win 7/8 content.

If One want Fresh install Continue with the following Steps.

----------------------------------------------------

Step 6 (optional) Make an Image*** of the working Win 10 In-Place upgrade (if the fresh install does not work, image back the In-place install and you would have Win 10 system to "play" with until the current issues are resolved).

Step 7. Boot from the Win 10 DVD/Flash drive and make a Fresh Install.

Use the saved Win 10 key to Activate the Fresh Install. *****

*** I use Acronis TI 2015, it takes 8 Minutes to image full installation of Windows 7/10.

***** I tried it on few installations and while it worked on two computers other two rejected the save Win 10 Keys.

As mentioned in few post, at the moment it is hard to make a judgement about what works or Not because of the Load on the Activation Servers and general confusion with part of the process. Hopefully in the near future these issues would be resolved.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Wondering whether I should do the update or buy a Flash drive with the install on it, :hmm:
I think you may have misunderstood what Jack just posted. I am downloading what I will use for a fresh install onto a flash drive right now using the information at the link he gave. No purchase necessary.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
What are the "N" versions?

N versions are for European distribution. They don't have Media Player due to a ruling in a EC court for an anti-competition case that was brought against Microsoft.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I'm in the process of upgrading a couple of pc's at home right now. My DL of pro is stalled at 37% while the home premium version didn't have any trouble. Thanks for posting the ms link as I just stopped by to check before posting it myself. Use the tool to create your iso's in both 32 and 64 bit to do a clean install later. I've got pro and hp machines in both 32 and 64 bit so I've got multiple versions of it myself. I'm going to update my non school pc's first and if there aren't any problems then I will upgrade my school pc's and tablet. I really hope that 10 is the best version yet and I really liked the preview version for the short time that I used it. As always classic shell and 8gadgetpack will be installed with it to retain that windows 7 look.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
My advice... don't wipe your drive and then install a fresh copy of Windows with the Windows 10 Upgrade .ISO. My existing Windows 7 license key doesn't activate it after doing the install :(

Is there an activation support number I can call to get this fixed?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
My advice... don't wipe your drive and then install a fresh copy of Windows with the Windows 10 Upgrade .ISO. My existing Windows 7 license key doesn't activate it after doing the install :(

Yeah, I have the same issue. My Win7 key is a TechNet key that's been in use for years and has activated on at least two different motherboards over those years. I installed 10 on a spare SDD so I am good.

"The activation server determined the specified product key has been blocked"

I'm going to consider this bogus for now and see if the dust settles soon. I installed it on my desktop but I use my laptop 99% of the time so it's no biggee.

I see that I can't do any customizations until I have a valid key installed. Niiiice. I can't even change the screen resolution. I can barely read anything right now.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2000

You MUST do the upgrade and activate W10 before you get your free Windows 10 license, at which point you can then wipe and reload a fresh copy. Check here for details:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f0lcs/how_to_clean_install_100_explained_no_more/

Last edited:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
You MUST do the upgrade and activate W10 before you get your free Windows 10 license, at which point you can then wipe and reload a fresh copy. Check here for details:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f0lcs/how_to_clean_install_100_explained_no_more/

If you click on the link that Jack posted and then click on the FAQ, you will see instructions for getting your product key for the various versions of Windows that that are eligible. I don't see why they'd provide this information if it was not possible to do a clean install with a product key for an eligible version. But either Microsoft or myself may be screwed up on this.

Before you begin

• Make sure you have:
    • An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
    • Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
    • A blank USB or DVD (and DVD burner) with at least 4 GB of space if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.
  • Read the System Requirements.
  • If you will be installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx). For more information about product keys and when they are required, visit the FAQ page.
  • For Enterprise editions please visit the Volume Licensing Service Center.
FAQ link is below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/faq

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
From the FAQ:

My Windows 7 product key won’t verify. What’s the problem? The most common issue is the use of a product key for a product not currently supported by the site such as an Upgrade key, an MSDN key, product keys for pre-installed media or an Enterprise edition key. For access to MSDN products or Enterprise edition visit the MSDN Portal or the Volume Licensing Service Center. Upgrades and pre-installed media are not currently supported by the tools on the site.
If you believe you have a valid product key and are still receiving an error, please contact Support.
This is interesting. The computer I installed 10 on was running a TechNet licensed version of Windows 7. I was able to download and install a preview version and I had the icon in the tray for 10. I also got an email confirmation.

I'm going to be unhappy to find that I cannot in fact get the upgrade on this computer. I have four computers in the household and this should be the only one with this issue. Two have purchased copies of 8.1 and one has 7 on it that came with it.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
No matter what before anything take place One should Make an Image of the current Installation before any type of Upgrade.

If there is a Networked computer the Image can be saved through the Network, otherwise use an External drive to store the Image.

There few Imaging program. Personally I like Acronis TI (Not free).

There are Freeware imaging Apps too.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-cloning-software.htm
----------------------

The ISO DVD/Flash Stick can be used in two ways.

1. Fresh Install.

Boot from the ISO Media and Install. When doing everything that is currently on the drive would be erased.

2. "InPlace" Upgrade.

Start you current Win7/8 Installation and Run the DVD/Flash Stick from inside the current installation.
Doing so is like the upgrade through Internet Update, it maintains the current compatible Programs and the personal files.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I just tried to activate the first upgrade install of windows 10 and it says that it cannot activate.

FrankRamiro

Sep 5, 2012
I just made the Upgrade from Win 7 to Win10 and i see nothing wrong so far, it even went quick and smooth,and it seems to work better then Win7

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Buggy but acceptable, software support is definitely lacking right now.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
JackMDS,

Could you put the content of Post #12 from boomerang into the top post. It may help with visibility

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
No matter what before anything take place One should Make an Image of the current Installation before any type of Upgrade.

If there is a Networked computer the Image can be saved through the Network, otherwise use an External drive to store the Image.

There few Imaging program. Personally I like Acronis TI (Not free).

There are Freeware imaging Apps too.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-cloning-software.htm
----------------------

The ISO DVD/Flash Stick can be used in two ways.

1. Fresh Install.

Boot from the ISO Media and Install. When doing everything that is currently on the drive would be erased.

2. "InPlace" Upgrade.

Start you current Win7/8 Installation and Run the DVD/Flash Stick from inside the current installation.
Doing so is like the upgrade through Internet Update, it maintains the current compatible Programs and the personal files.

I may be missing something here but I create/restore Windows drive images using the software built into Windows. For example, for Windows 7:

Go to Start and do a search for “Getting Started”
Select “Back Up Your Files” on the right side of the window
Top left of window “Create a system image”
To restore this image from boot create a system repair disc to boot from and it will provide the option to restore from the system image.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I may be missing something here but I create/restore Windows drive images using the software built into Windows. For example, for Windows 7:

Go to Start and do a search for “Getting Started”
Select “Back Up Your Files” on the right side of the window
Top left of window “Create a system image”
To restore this image from boot create a system repair disc to boot from and it will provide the option to restore from the system image.

Using your build in method works many times but sometime it does not work because the BackUp is done from within a live Acting System/OS

The SAFEST way is to do an independent image from a Boot DVD.

What? Because under this condition the System/OS hard drive is passive during the Imaging, thus the image is the Most accurate.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I just installed Win10 RTM a few weeks ago. I'd rather not do a clean install.

Would this work:
1) Image current Win10 RTM setup
2) Install clean Win8.1 and activate
3) Run Win10 upgrade inside Win8.1 to generate hardware hash/key
4) Restore Win10 RTM image
5) Reactivate Win10

Would the system recognize the hardware hash after the restore?