Will you see The Passion when it is released to theaters?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mfs378

May 19, 2003
I have a serious problem how (according to sources, since Gibson is really trying to keep as much as possible under wraps) the movie keeps cutting to evil Jews who want nothing more than Jesus dead. Now, there is controversy over whether Jews were a main factor in the death of Jesus. My PERSONAL belief is that there are some Jews who nudged towards his death, but A) Not nearly all of them, just a couple and B) It was still the Romans who did the deed and wanted to.

How terrible of the producers of the movie to be filming something which conflicts with your personal belief. If you let them know I am sure they will change their ways immediately.

You can believe whatever you want, but as long as your beliefs are based only on stories and not facts, accept that there is a basis for a different interpretation, which is equally valid.

mfs378

May 19, 2003
My concern is the selective pre-screening and the anti-semiticism the movie is already evoking (which, I'm sure, it probably isn't promoting or encouraging).

Yeah, I hear it all the time. People see the movie and then go on a rampage - pillaging and looting all jewish-owned stores nearby.

Where did you hear about this anti-semitism?

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
B) It was still the Romans who did the deed and wanted to.

But not as much as the Jews, yes a few powerful ones not all Jews, who believed him to be a dangerous heretic. This is well debated but the Jews had more to lose than the Romans.

(lil joke there using the word heretic which is not an appropriate way to use it but most people wouldn't know better :p )

Yes I'll see the Movie just to show that there needs to be more Christian movies in Hollywood and that they can still sell tickets.

Karsten

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
It will be a great movie and probably the most accurate depiction of how awful the last 12 hours for Jesus where!

It is a Movie about religion... sadly you can't please everybody and it will always be controversial! However the whole Anti-Semitism charge seems to be a little overblown. COME ON... do you really think Mel Gibson is an Anti Semite?! Get real!

I believe in the Bible and while it tells me that the Romans took the act of the death sentence it also tells me that The Jews had a choice between Barnabas and Jesus for a pardon?!

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: mfs378
My concern is the selective pre-screening and the anti-semiticism the movie is already evoking (which, I'm sure, it probably isn't promoting or encouraging).

Yeah, I hear it all the time. People see the movie and then go on a rampage - pillaging and looting all jewish-owned stores nearby.

Where did you hear about this anti-semitism?

Don't put words in my quote. :p I didn't say anything about rampages and what not.

"Boys and others said they have received anti-Semitic hate mail after being quoted in news reports criticizing "The Passion." "

Sister Mary C. Boys, a Catholic professor at the Union Theological Seminary who read an early draft of the script

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Does it have a distributor? Normally I don't like dubbed/subtitled movies...though I did like CT:HD

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Karsten
It will be a great movie and probably the most accurate depiction of how awful the last 12 hours for Jesus where!

It is a Movie about religion... sadly you can't please everybody and it will always be controversial! However the whole Anti-Semitism charge seems to be a little overblown. COME ON... do you really think Mel Gibson is an Anti Semite?! Get real!

Exactly. If you'd trouble yourself to STOP being offended for one hot minute you'll see that Mel Gibson is trying to take the most "authentic" route in creating the film. Of COURSE it's going to piss people off. Of COURSE there will be people who disagree with the content of the film. You have a 1000+ year old book that's been rewritten and translated a hundred times with each single passage able to be interpreted a thousand different ways. Because of the nature of the book, no matter how you interpret it you're going to cause one group or another to feel they've been wronged because it doesn't jibe with their teachings. The only way to make a movie like this successful is to make it appealing to the largest common denominator of the viewer demographic, who, incidentally, is NOT the Jews. Just because the Jews don't see it the same way / don't believe that's what happened / don't want to admit that happened doesn't mean it's not one of the thousand historical interpretations and therefore "anti-semitic."

And any of you parainoid weirdos who think that this movie will start huge rashes of anti-semitic notions across the country, get real. You're probably the type of people who won't go outside just because a meteorite MIGHT come out of the sky and hit you.

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
amnesiac - I don't fear large waves of people going to kill Jews or anything, but Jews aren't well liked to begin with in many parts of the country and this could add to that small layer of dislike. It can make it more real for people who aren't in touch with the bible. Do I think the movie should still be made/shown? OF COURSE. We should not restrict free speech because of some idiots who might take action against Jews. But it is still a possibility.

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
monica belucci is the perfect choice to play jee's mom if you ascribe to the rennaisance depiction of the historical figure. james caviezel
also has that angular, bony face that reminds me of classical portraits.

imo the best portrayal of jesus and the best film about his life was zeffirelli's that starred robert powell as jesus and michael york as john
the baptist.

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
maybe. the last temptation was a bit of a let down. I used to enjoy mel gibson, but more and more he seems to be about unmitigated testosterone. that makes me *yawn*

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: amnesiac
Originally posted by: Karsten

Exactly. If you'd trouble yourself to STOP being offended for one hot minute you'll see that Mel Gibson is trying to take the most "authentic" route in creating the film. Of COURSE it's going to piss people off. Of COURSE there will be people who disagree with the content of the film. You have a 1000+ year old book that's been rewritten and translated a hundred times with each single passage able to be interpreted a thousand different ways. Because of the nature of the book, no matter how you interpret it you're going to cause one group or another to feel they've been wronged because it doesn't jibe with their teachings. The only way to make a movie like this successful is to make it appealing to the largest common denominator of the viewer demographic, who, incidentally, is NOT the Jews. Just because the Jews don't see it the same way / don't believe that's what happened / don't want to admit that happened doesn't mean it's not one of the thousand historical interpretations and therefore "anti-semitic."

And any of you parainoid weirdos who think that this movie will start huge rashes of anti-semitic notions across the country, get real. You're probably the type of people who won't go outside just because a meteorite MIGHT come out of the sky and hit you.

You really shouldn't discount the impact of an impressionable movie upon an already impressionable public.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Are they going with subtitles now? I thought I heard at one point there wouldn't be any.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: royaldank
Are they going with subtitles now? I thought I heard at one point there wouldn't be any.

Wouldn't they have to? The movie is not being filmed in English so there'd be no other way to understand them..

ivol07

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: royaldank

I heard the same thing. That the original plan was not to have any, but they are re-thinking it. I hope they do.

I will see it.