Will you be buying Mass Effect 2?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Indeed... I've seen it now, lots of people are having the exact same issues (in my case, like others, it's the "time out" connection issue). The thing is that I've paid for the extra content, it's the Digital Deluxe Edition, I wanted it, and I did not want it only for useless bragging purposes since modders or pirates will make extra content available for free anyway, I simply paid for it to support BioWare and thank them for making the game, and obviously I want to play with that extra content even if in the end I'll end up not using a single of those extra items since they "suck" compared to the vanilla items just like it was in Dragon Age (for my own characters builds anyway), I want that extra content recognized and enabled from my very first game.

I've finally been able to access the "main menu" and adjusted the in-game settings, but I still haven't started a "new game", not until BioWare and/or EA fix their stupid Cerberus crap, which I've never been fervent about, we have enough of Steam as a layer to deal with before playing our games. I also had some problems with Dragon Age: Origins and the DLCs. It's getting frustrating, I don't have much patience for that kind of thing, but like many others I'll deal with it until it's fixed. I hope that I'll be able to play with the extra content I've paid for today, the very same day that the game has launched.

If in the end of the day BioWare and/or EA haven't fixed the time out issue then it will be the very first time in my entire video gaming history that I haven't been able to play a game with the content I paid for due to external (developers or publishers) issues the same day it was made available, it would really be a first, for me anyway.

I remember spending about 2 or 3 days (when I could find the time) installing and loading KOTOR, trying to get past the menu...baby steps.

funny thing--it had already been on PC for 5 or so months at the time.

....this is why I wait ~1 year for PC games now. plus...the price is more reasonable. ;)

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I'm surprised no one has mentioned - there's no freakin mouse sensitivity option? Sure, there's a "camera" sensitivity, but it only has 3 options and changing it from "medium" to "low" barely does jack schitt. I need to drop the DPI of my mouse to 400 to get it to even close to what I normally use. Is there a setting I missed?

TheNoblePlatypus

Dec 18, 2001
Biggest change I don't see many people mentioning is that you gain no XP for killing stuff. Also, there is no inventory or loot. It's not a bad game, but it seems like for every step forward they took two back on design.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I like this game quite a bit although I know it's not going to be that long of an experience. My absolute biggest gripes are that for one, it looks like Bioware used the game grubby engine with no improvements, putrid armor/clothing textures and all. The other is just how stripped down it is. I'm all for streamlining, and to some extent that's what they did. But they went overboard and it just feels like a gears of war imitator in some ways.

Hopefully in two or three years we'll have a perfected product. If they can't get it more right by the finale, something's wrong and the Bioware magic is gone. Of course, the same ad-nauseum formula needs a change also. Once I finish this game it's probably headed for the shelf for a long time. Without official mod support there's no point holding my breath for fan-made improvements, especially if the devs withhold larger textures for modding purposes.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I like this game quite a bit although I know it's not going to be that long of an experience. My absolute biggest gripes are that for one, it looks like Bioware used the game grubby engine with no improvements, putrid armor/clothing textures and all. The other is just how stripped down it is. I'm all for streamlining, and to some extent that's what they did. But they went overboard and it just feels like a gears of war imitator in some ways.

Hopefully in two or three years we'll have a perfected product. If they can't get it more right by the finale, something's wrong and the Bioware magic is gone. Of course, the same ad-nauseum formula needs a change also. Once I finish this game it's probably headed for the shelf for a long time. Without official mod support there's no point holding my breath for fan-made improvements, especially if the devs withhold larger textures for modding purposes.

I might hold off until the price drops in the UK , no way I'm paying £26.99 for normal version for a short game,even the new S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Special Edition is only £17.99(due on 5th feb here in UK) ,think Stalker will be at the top of my buying list first.

Btw from what I have read on ME2 I hate some of the changes they have made,its like one step forward and two backwards on improvement changes.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
The whiners like to whine. The players like to play. I'm enjoying it quite a lot, including most of the changes -- even the ones (we all need ammo now?) that don't make sense lore-wise.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
The whiners like to whine. The players like to play. I'm enjoying it quite a lot, including most of the changes -- even the ones (we all need ammo now?) that don't make sense lore-wise.

I don't mind the ammo, it actually makes it more tactical rather than shoot blindly in one direction since you just have to wait for cooling. Although it feels like a step back in technology, it seems a little more fun than the old one.