Will there ever be RTS's as good as C&C and StarCraft?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: DannyLove
Originally posted by: xSauronx
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
Yeah, it already exists and is called Company of Heroes. I know a lot of people would disagree, but I never really liked Starcraft.

yeah i was never big on starcraft. i loved warcraft, and C&C red alert (generals was good, as well), but i always wanted something else.

Rome: Total War is fantastic, and is one of my favorite games ever. Company of Heroes is great and blows any C&C game out of the water, IMO.

AGREED. Anyone remember Rise of Nations. Another great RTS game.

There was another one I played back in the days. I believe it was during Warcraft I days. It was a Mars RTS. The cd was red and had some alien's on it. You could play Marines or Alien, it was a great game, i just can't remember the name of it. Might be MARS haha.

Rise of Nations was solid gold. I liked it because it had a few more intricacies than a standard RTS, but I was never overwhelmed with options like w/ certain turn based games. I never tried Rise of Legends, but I hope it didn't botch what I liked about RoN

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Sea Moose
Yeah, it already exists and is called Company of Heroes. I know a lot of people would disagree, but I never really liked Starcraft.

yeah i was never big on starcraft. i loved warcraft, and C&C red alert (generals was good, as well), but i always wanted something else.

Rome: Total War is fantastic, and is one of my favorite games ever. Company of Heroes is great and blows any C&C game out of the water, IMO.

Company of heros is a great game but relics lack of quality control means that when you get opposing fronts you have to download a zillion patches. It took me threeddays of patch down loading before i could play. THen when i was downloading a patch i accidently shut down. Well the patch must have been screwing with important windows files cause i had to wipe my main hard drive. I will not buy another relic game.

Relic cannot be held responsible for PEBKAC.

Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 1/2 are in my opinion superior games to the almost generic C&C and SC. C&C3 has barely made any advances since C&C in the mid 90's under Westwood Studios. SC2 is looking like it is taking the same path as EA, rehashed old game with very little added.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

I loved Starcraft and think COH is better.
The dawn of war series is really good too, but COH is better than those. Unfortunately, Relic sucks at balance, or even making their games work right.
Don't even bother playing the British right now in COH, they're horribly broken (as of the current version, british emplacements and trenches have a super long delay before they fire at an enemy). The Panzer Elite are underpowered but have a few bugs that make them OP. The classic armies, American and Wehrmacht, are perfect though.

Dawn of War 1 + expansions was broken for competitive play at the start. They fixed it, at the expense of casual play. Dawn of War 2 barely qualifies as a strategy game, but it's a fun game.
BTW, Relic also made the phenomenal homeworld series.

I bought Halo wars for 360 and i was a bit worred as strategy gameplay generaly sucks on console. But they did a really good job of combining strategy with simple gameplay. The cut scenes were extremely impressive and i hope they do another game like this for pc.
My impression of halo wars was that it was like a poor company of heroes. Oh, you won't get it on PC, microsoft shut down the developer despite halo wars being a good success.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: DannyLove

AGREED. Anyone remember Rise of Nations. Another great RTS game.

There was another one I played back in the days. I believe it was during Warcraft I days. It was a Mars RTS. The cd was red and had some alien's on it. You could play Marines or Alien, it was a great game, i just can't remember the name of it. Might be MARS haha.

I found the game I was referring to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Colony

I don't know why but I was really into this game at the time.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
C&C3 was excellent. KW was alright. RA3 sucked.

Also Total Annihilation > Starcraft and CNC so badly. I won't even begin to list all the innovations TA brought to the genre. It still remains as the king of all RTS games. Supreme Commander never even came close to everything that TA did so well.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
Originally posted by: Beev
People who compare WoW to the fucking Sims obviously have not played both games. That's a flat out dumbshit comparison.

There are obviously differences, but they both appeal to people that prefer the monotony of micromanaging characters, as well as the social gamer crowd. Whether that involves clicking on a toilet when your crap-meter is too high or raiding for phat lewt with your e-buddies is irrelevant.

:laugh:

:beer:

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I'll throw in another vote for DoW/CoH, I really enoyed both of these series, Relic really came up with some great ides to change up the RTS standard. My personal favorite is doing away with base building, makes multiplayer so much more enjoyable for me when I just have to micro my units and not worry about building bases and expansions and all that jazz.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
People who compare WoW to the fucking Sims obviously have not played both games. That's a flat out dumbshit comparison.

There are obviously differences, but they both appeal to people that prefer the monotony of micromanaging characters, as well as the social gamer crowd. Whether that involves clicking on a toilet when your crap-meter is too high or raiding for phat lewt with your e-buddies is irrelevant.

Oh come on. The idea that the games you like are somehow superior to the games other people like is tired and tiring. In no way shape or form is the pretend crap you do in any one game any better than the pretend crap you do in WoW or the Sims.

In any case DoW I and CoH are both excellent single player games (I don't do much multiplayer so can't say how they fare). I was hoping DoW II would be the best of both games but it wasn't :-/. I liked Supreme Commander for a while but it got to be extremely repetitive. C&C 3 seems very old school.

I'm thinking SC2 will be very similar to C&C3; a little graphical face lift to a game with very few changes of consequence underneath. Which for SC might be just fine.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
Originally posted by: CountZero
In no way shape or form is the pretend crap you do in any one game any better than the pretend crap you do in WoW or the Sims.

i dunno, i generally play games to have fun. click-grinding in WoW to get 'level 60 pants of sublime reckoning' or something seems pretty lame to me and most people who play more action oriented games.

and yes, i've played wow. i grew bored of it before level 20 and quit at about 30 when i realized i was going to have to grind for another 100 hours before i could see the game's 'good' content.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I love CoH too, but as far as SP goes, you really can't compare it to SC - not even in the same category. That's what makes it the greatest RTS ever.

Had to force myself to play through the last Red Alert, just felt stupid, even with Sulu. Same with DOW2, just couldn't get into it.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: sash1
Blizzard has been in decline since the original Starcraft, so I doubt the sequel will come anywhere near.

:laugh: bahah, good joke!

3 words

World of Warcraft

R.I.P. Blizzard

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Elcs
Originally posted by: Sea Moose

Company of heros is a great game but relics lack of quality control means that when you get opposing fronts you have to download a zillion patches. It took me threeddays of patch down loading before i could play. THen when i was downloading a patch i accidently shut down. Well the patch must have been screwing with important windows files cause i had to wipe my main hard drive. I will not buy another relic game.

Relic cannot be held responsible for PEBKAC.

Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 1/2 are in my opinion superior games to the almost generic C&C and SC. C&C3 has barely made any advances since C&C in the mid 90's under Westwood Studios. SC2 is looking like it is taking the same path as EA, rehashed old game with very little added.
How is having to download about 15 update packages that require an installation and restart of the game between each file a PEBKAC?

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
Originally posted by: videogames101
Blizzard has been in decline since the original Starcraft, so I doubt the sequel will come anywhere near.

3 words

World of Warcraft

R.I.P. Blizzard

i think the activision aquisition was the true nail in their coffin. activision has been trying to out-douche EA for years.

i guess if my game brought in almost $200 million a month i wouldn't be working on anything else, either.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Everything Blizzard has brought out since Starcraft has been legendary and theres no reason that won't continue- Activision know the best thing is just let them keep doing what theyre doing.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005

3 words

World of Warcraft

R.I.P. Blizzard

There's no denying that WoW is the most successful MMORPG to date, whether you like it or not.

If company X releases a game that doesn't appeal to you then it is going under? :confused:

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
No one mentioned Warhammer 40,000? I'm very surprised. In my humble opinion the Warhammer 40K series is the best RTS in years, better than StarCraft and only equaled in the C&C series by Tiberian Sun, but that's just me, I guess. I would say that Company of Heroes has very good game-play mechanics, very well executed, but it's just another WWII game, and I'm sick of those. I was expecting that Dawn of War II could rival its predecessor, but it's actually worse than even C&C 3.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Originally posted by: Dumac
Originally posted by: Fritzo

That's a pretty broad sweep there. So you don't like 90% of games out there? Because that's what video games in general usually do.

No, it isn't.

Good argument!

Hmmm...how should I counter that? I GOT IT!

"Yes it is."

Man, someone's going to quote my zinger for their sig. I pwned you with my comeback!

There isn't really any argument to it. If someone said "90% of the time the sky is brown with purple polka dots", the natural reply is "No, it isn't". Your claim was so utterly false, there was little else to say.

If I really try to spell it out, just look at the list of games released in 2009, or any other year. Barely any of them match your description. The only types of games that match that description are MMOs, The Sims, and a few other RPGs with notable online communities. Every other type of genre, which is by far the great majority of released games, fails to meet the two stated qualifications.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Barfo

3 words

World of Warcraft

R.I.P. Blizzard

There's no denying that WoW is the most successful MMORPG to date, whether you like it or not.

If company X releases a game that doesn't appeal to you then it is going under? :confused:

Successful != good. Well, in the businesses perspective it does, but from a critical perspective it does not.

I don't think he meant that it is going under. Just that Blizzard is not the company it used to be, which made amazing, very distinguishable, games.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenoth
No one mentioned Warhammer 40,000? I'm very surprised. In my humble opinion the Warhammer 40K series is the best RTS in years, better than StarCraft and only equaled in the C&C series by Tiberian Sun, but that's just me, I guess. I would say that Company of Heroes has very good game-play mechanics, very well executed, but it's just another WWII game, and I'm sick of those. I was expecting that Dawn of War II could rival its predecessor, but it's actually worse than even C&C 3.

Tiberium Sun was a horrible game :( I remember anticipating it for months... but the gameplay ended up sucking. Hated how the voxel graphics couldn't blend in with the background, and the overall game was just so slow,

satyanjoy

Jul 10, 2005
Age of Empires 2 - best so far.I love the campaign,its simple yet fun to play for hours and hours- still remember the line during the tutorial campaign " Keep Exploring the map". I am not fan of fantasy / Alien kind of setting. In recent , Company of Heroes is pretty good.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Act of War.
World in Conflict.

IF YOU LIKE THE GAMEPLAY: Supreme Commander.
I did not like it very much but it has a strong, loyal fanbase.