Will the orgy of Anti-Clinton hate and invective backfire?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Genx87
Vic: People like Senseamp dont want a unified democratic controlled govt anymore than somebody like I do. Except our reasons are different. I view a one party govt as a spring board to dicatorship. He views it as the inability to scapegoat his percieved enemy(republicans) during his life of endless of crisis.

Which one is more valid in the real world? Which one is a product of ones imagination and inner desires?

It is a product of the real world, because if the demagogue becomes president, he'll screw up like Jimmy Carter and give liberals a bad name, and then he'll be replaced by a conservative. So you'll get 4 years of liberal, 8 years of conservative rule. If McCain is the winner, you'll get 4-8 years of liberal or moderate rule, and then if he screws up, he'll be replaced by a Democrat and we'll get 4-8 more years of liberal rule. So we are talking about 8 more years of liberal rule. So by simple math, a left leaning Republican like McCain is a better pick for a liberal than empty suit demagogue Obama.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: senseamp
Originally posted by: Vic
sigh... your trolling just gets worse and worse...

McCain is not a liberal in any sense of the word (but then neither are you).
He voted against the Bush tax cuts, against torture, etc
wtf does being anti-torture have to do with being "liberal"?! :confused:

you don't even understand the adjectives you use to describe yourself, do you?!

wow...

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
He voted against the Bush tax cuts, against torture, etc

How is this a left vs right issue? I am a conservative but think this latest stimulus package is bunk. Being against torture is not a universal liberal stance, no matter how much you try to paint it as one.

Well, I am mainly concerned on economic issues, and McCain is not all that different from Bill Clinton on those. I liked the Clinton years, plus there is the benefit of blaming the Republicans if McCain screws up. So between empty suit Obama and McCain, I'll pick McCain.
Also, can you imagine Obama McCain debate. It will be like schoolboy vs the teacher. :D

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Vic: People like Senseamp dont want a unified democratic controlled govt anymore than somebody like I do. Except our reasons are different. I view a one party govt as a spring board to dicatorship. He views it as the inability to scapegoat his percieved enemy(republicans) during his life of endless of crisis.

Which one is more valid in the real world? Which one is a product of ones imagination and inner desires?

It is a product of the real world, because if the demagogue becomes president, he'll screw up like Jimmy Carter and give liberals a bad name, and then he'll be replaced by a conservative. So you'll get 4 years of liberal, 8 years of conservative rule. If McCain is the winner, you'll get 4-8 years of liberal or moderate rule, and then if he screws up, he'll be replaced by a Democrat and we'll get 4-8 more years of liberal rule. So we are talking about 8 more years of liberal rule. So by simple math, a left leaning Republican like McCain is a better pick for a liberal than empty suit demagogue Obama.

You are free to paint whatever picture your mind requires to get through a day.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
You are free to paint whatever picture your mind requires to get through a day.

The picture that gets me through the day is that I am quitting my job next week and going on vacation :D
Political discussion is just something to pass the time in between ;)

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

So, the best thing that can happen for the Democratic Party is four more years of Republican leadership in the White House...?!?

LAWL! allllllllllrighty then! :confused:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

dude... puff, puff, pass.

maverick44

Aug 9, 2007
Other than sensesamp ..... I see a lot support amongst friends for McCain even from SANE democrats who say they'll vote for him if Obama doesn not get the nod.

I mean the anti-hillary crowd aside ... is there any real reason for voting for him... he's a war hero.. other than that he looses me every time he pushes "the straight talk express" line

I dunno I suspect most democrats who support obama will probably sit out if Hillary wins the nomination

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: maverick44
Other than sensesamp ..... I see a lot support amongst friends for McCain even from SANE democrats who say they'll vote for him if Obama doesn not get the nod.

I mean the anti-hillary crowd aside ... is there any real reason for voting for him... he's a war hero.. other than that he looses me every time he pushes "the straight talk express" line

I dunno I suspect most democrats who support obama will probably sit out if Hillary wins the nomination

So they'd rather have someone as president with polar opposite views push an agenda antithetical to everything they believe in, and allow such person to stock the federal judiciary and SCOTUS with conservatives so that the effects are felt for decades. Reasonable.

Look, issues aren't all that matters, but they freaking matter.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

I don't think so, most dems seem disgusted with where the country is at, and doubt they would abstain from voting for their party's nominee and leave open the potential for another republican admin because they didn't participate. I think they will have a big turn out this time around, Clinton or no Clinton.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Originally posted by: techs
Wow. As much as people hate George Bush for what he has done as President, the Anti-Clinton crowd makes them look like sissies!.
Have you ever, ever seen such hatred, lies, innuendo against someone who has only been a short term Senator?
In fact, the only Democrat I can think of who was so hated, villified and smeared by the Republicans was Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
Please get help. It's absolutely fascinating to me that some of the very same people who were so critical of the blind, irrational support of the Bush faithful are equally and oppositely delusional in their support of Hillary Clinton. Wake up and spell the donkey shit for crying out loud. H.Clinton isn't the worst person who's ever run for President, but she is certainly a mediocre candidate. More importantly, she is the epitome of the partisan D.C. insider, the exact thing so many of you railed against for the last few years, and she is the one Democratic candidate most likely to lose in November.

You see this clearly -- "the only Democrat I can think of who was so hated, villified and smeared" -- yet your cognitive dissonance refuses to acknowledge the implications, even as your nose is rubbed in it dozens of times per day. You rationalize that it is "the Republicans" who oppose Clinton, even though anyone who is at all objective can see her opposition cuts across party and ideological boundaries. Yes, lots of Republicans loathe her, but so do many independents and a fair number of Democrats. She is divisive. She is polarizing. She is in too many ways GWB's doppelganger. That's not what America needs.

I'll certainly grant you Clinton is far more intelligent and capable than Bush. (Who isn't?) That's not enough in my book. The Dems have an exceptional opportunity to raise the bar this year. They have fielded several smart and capable candidates this year; Clinton is the only one that carries so much negative baggage. Unfortunately, there are too many like you who want to pay back the Republicans with the same bitter, small-minded partisanship that has ruled D.C. of late. You are turning your back on great candidates who could really pull America up just so you can stick one to the right. It's sad, it's destructive, and it very likely will result in you getting your asses kicked once again come November.

With that said, I don't suggest anybody base their vote on who they think can win. If you truly feel H.Clinton is the best candidate, then vote you conscience and let the chips fall where they may. If the Republicans nominate an equally deficient candidate, maybe we can finally raise serious interest in third parties. None of them have a chance of winning in 2008, of course, but if we can start changing the presumption that third parties aren't viable, maybe in a few more elections we can put this destructive two party system behind us. Americans will never be represented well as long as it controls our government.

Anyone who's been around P&N knows I'm hardly a right-winger. Indeed, I've regularly been called things like "commie-lib" by dimwits here who never could grasp the difference between anti-Bush and liberal. Here's your chance to show you're smarter than they are, because I'll tell you right now I won't be voting for Hillary Clinton. While I don't find her repugnant, I also don't find her to be a good choice to lead this country. We'll see who the Republicans nominate, but if the Dems go with Clinton, I will likely vote for a third-party candidate.

You can hop on the short bus too by dismissing me as a "Republican", or you can open your mind and recognize there are a lot of other independents and even Democrats who have similar reservations. The choice is yours. You don't have to agree with me about her, but you're deluding yourself if you dismiss all the anti-Clinton criticism as being "smeared by the Republicans."

(And for the record, I don't think we've seen the Republican smears start yet, not really. They'll hold their big guns until the primaries are over and more people are watching the main event. Anything they do now will be forgotten by November. As I said several months ago, if the Dems do run Clinton, the Republican slime machine will have 51% of voters convinced she aborts babies for her lunch and is the love spawn of Hitler and Satan. Just watch.)

Maybe its a sign that Hillary is going to be a great President.
I wanted to comment on this separately because it's a great example of just how irrational you've become. You compare H.Clinton to GWB in noting both are widely despised, yet you then somehow suggest this indicates Clinton may be a great President. Really? By that (il)logic, I guess you must believe Bush is a great President, right? Indeed, that must be why you despise Bush yourself, because he's such a great President. Right? Or maybe, just maybe, it's because Bush's opponents recognize just how bad he is for America ... and Clinton's opponents recognize comparable flaws in her. Maybe? Something to think about if you can find a moment of lucidity.

wow, nice post :thumbsup:

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER

I don't think so, most dems seem disgusted with where the country is at, and doubt they would abstain from voting for their party's nominee and leave open the potential for another republican admin because they didn't participate. I think they will have a big turn out this time around, Clinton or no Clinton.

Maybe more Americans, like me, are sick of identifying with a party, and would vote for a worthy candidate, regardless of which party they identify with?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

Another snide remark and/or a personal attack with nothing to contribute to the topic.
It's becoming a pattern for you.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Another snide remark and/or a personal attack with nothing to contribute to the topic.

A "pattern" really? And what do you call my other 500-1000 word long posts? Oh wait, you always ignore those with a snide remark and a personal attack...

:roll:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

A "pattern" really? And what do you call my other 500-1000 word long posts? Oh wait, you always ignore those with a snide remark and a personal attack...

So you are saying that this was not a snide remark or personal attack that contributed nothing to the discussion?
"dude... puff, puff, pass."
this is not the first time you've posted something like that. I view it as a concession of the weakness of your arguments and mental faculties if you cannot post anything substantive and resort to those kinds of empty comments.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

So you are saying that this was not a snide remark or personal attack that contributed nothing to the discussion?
"dude... puff, puff, pass."
this is not the first time you've posted something like that. I view it as a concession of the weakness of your arguments and mental faculties if you cannot post anything substantive and resort to those kinds of empty comments.

No... it's something I say when a person deviates into freakin' lala fantasy land.
What you said was so silly and so far from any possible rational perception of reality that there's nothing left to argue against, you already scuttled your own arguments for me.

You're lucky I even responded to you at all.

Now go vote for your hero McCain... I always said that you were really a Republican in hiding.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: VicNo... it's something I say when the person deviates either off-topic or (as you did here) into freakin' lala fantasy land.

I posted something very substantive and relevant earlier in this thread, and you responded with wishful thinking and convoluted illogic (solely for the purposes of bypassing my argument and justifying your agenda). You're lucky I even responded to you at all.

Now go vote for your hero McCain... I always said that you were really a Republican in hiding.

I didn't say you never posted something substantive, just that you also have a pattern of posting snide personal attacks. You are more than welcome to continue demonstrating your intellectual inferiority in that fashion, but I want you to be aware that you are doing exactly that. People capable of making sound arguments don't need to resort to those kinds of posts, because they have the intellectual rigor to let their posts stand on their merit, you obviously don't.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: palehorse74

So, the best thing that can happen for the Democratic Party is four more years of Republican leadership in the White House...?!?

LAWL! allllllllllrighty then! :confused:

No way, man! What we need after 8 years of a complete failure of Republican politics is for another Republican to step up with policies that (somehow, for the sake of argument) actually work (because McCain is, like, somehow liberal, because he voted against Bush once or twice and co-sponsored a bill with a Democrat once), and thus redeem those prior 8 years of failure. That's the sure-fire way to Democratic party dominance in the White House!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: VicNo... it's something I say when the person deviates either off-topic or (as you did here) into freakin' lala fantasy land.

I posted something very substantive and relevant earlier in this thread, and you responded with wishful thinking and convoluted illogic (solely for the purposes of bypassing my argument and justifying your agenda). You're lucky I even responded to you at all.

I didn't say you never posted something substantive, just that you also have a pattern of posting snide personal attacks. You are more than welcome to continue demonstrating your intellectual inferiority in that fashion, but I want you to be aware that you are doing exactly that. People capable of making sound arguments don't need to resort to those kinds of posts, because they have the intellectual rigor to let their posts stand on their merit, you obviously don't.

Backpedal, spin... backpedal, spin...

That works a little better after you take your foot out of your mouth BTW.

maverick44

Aug 9, 2007
Maybe more Americans, like me, are sick of identifying with a party, and would vote for a worthy candidate, regardless of which party they identify with?

EXACTLY, the presidential elections have always been more about the CANDIDATEs rather than the parties. If you wanted to vote for a particular PARTY, thats what congressional and senate elections were for

Thats why you have had a fair number of occasions with a democrat president and a republican house and senate and vice versa. I guess it all got twisted up when the conservative movement got high jacked by the bushwackos...

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: aidanjm
Yeah, it's gonna backfire, especially with women.

it's interesting, most of the haters seem to be men. you don't hear of many women who have that crazy, incoherent rage towards Hillary. which makes you wonder if much of the hatred is motivated by sexism. someone needs to do a psychological study on the men who hate Hillary. Why do they hate her so much? Gloria Steinam raised one possibility in her ny times essay:

"children are still raised mostly by women (to put it mildly) so men especially tend to feel they are regressing to childhood when dealing with a powerful woman.."

Pop psychology anyone?

The two women who work in my office dispise Hillary. I mean really really dispise her.

I suppose you don't see many women here blasting her. But then we don't seem to have many anyway.

The only female political columnist I can think of is Maureen O'Dowd. I thought she just recently put out a column blasting Bill & Hillary for lying?

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Strangely the Republicans themselves aren?t saying much. All this anti-Clinton stuff you are seeing is come from the media and even fellow Democrats.

Wait until the fall and then you will REALLY see the anti-Clinton stuff start to fly.

QFT

Plus, she's not known as "the most polarizing figure" for nothing. And everybody knew the poop was gonna fly if she ran. We just didn't think it was gonna be by the Dems.

As PJ says, if you think it's bad now, just wait til the Repubs start in general election.

Fern

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: aidanjm
Yeah, it's gonna backfire, especially with women.

it's interesting, most of the haters seem to be men. you don't hear of many women who have that crazy, incoherent rage towards Hillary. which makes you wonder if much of the hatred is motivated by sexism. someone needs to do a psychological study on the men who hate Hillary. Why do they hate her so much? Gloria Steinam raised one possibility in her ny times essay:

"children are still raised mostly by women (to put it mildly) so men especially tend to feel they are regressing to childhood when dealing with a powerful woman.."

Pop psychology anyone?

The two women who work in my office dispise Hillary. I mean really really dispise her.

I suppose you don't see many women here blasting her. But then we don't seem to have many anyway.

The only female political columnist I can think of is Maureen O'Dowd. I thought she just recently put out a column blasting Bill & Hillary for lying?

Fern

Dowd has hated Hillary forever. But don't trust her, she works for the NY Times....wait.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
Pop psychology anyone?

Fern

What I have noticed is that lots of people say they hate Hillary, but when you ask them why a whole ton of them have no reason whatsoever. If they do give a reason, its usually some vague one based on a percieved personality trait she has, maybe some sort of generalized idea (ie. she's a bitch! she's corrupt!) without any evidence to back it up. I guess that's what happens when you've been being consistantly bashed by the right wing noise machine for more then a decade.

I just think that any woman who has the ambition and the attributes to rise this high is going to be a woman that a lot of America finds unappealing from a personality standpoint. Once people find her unappealing in that way, it's only a small jump for people to rationalize their dislike in some other way.

I think the question most Hillary haters secretly ask themselves is "Okay, I know I hate her... now why?" as opposed to the other way around.