Will the media ever stop making a big deal about tasers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: PottedMeat
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Originally posted by: SirStev0
The problem is that they are being used unnecessarily... they are like that new toy that they just have to try out.

Bingo! :thumbsup:

Yep.

Law Enforcement Question: Are cops trained to use tasers tased themselves, or pepper sprayed? They should have their non-lethal implements used on themselves before they think about using it on the public.

For all you kids who think cops are just gov't thugs - they are pepper sprayed and when my buddy went through his schooling he was tased as well.

<- shakes head at the level of hate displayed here for cops.

So Cops are shoiwn their affcts and that gives them license to use them in any situation they feel like it?

Don't be ridiculous. If they act like thugs, they should be viewed as thugs.

Worlocked

Nov 9, 2005
Originally posted by: Venix
She didn't comply with what? The illegal order to stop yelling and cursing?

I would like to see the police report to determine if the woman did disobey any legal orders. However, the article and the "disorderly conduct" charge suggest that the Taser/arrest was based solely on the woman's "verbally profane, abusive, loud and irate" behavior, which is completely unacceptable.

Not to mention that Tasers are not cattle prods used to keep the cattle in compliance, they are used as a non lethal means to diffuse a dangerous situation. You don't taser people when they are not complying, you taser them when they are a danger to you, others, or themselves.

A swearing woman != danger to the officer.

Next?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: FallenHero
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Tasers were developed as a defense tool for LEOs as a less lethal option than firearms.

Now the police just use them as compliance tools rather than defense.

Wrong.

Tasers were developed as an alternative means to hands on fighting. Its my taser or my Asp...you pick which one. One will leave significant bruising and damage...one will stop after 5 seconds.

Unless you have a pace maker, then you're dead. Of course it's still potentially lethal without one. To hell with anyone who uses them frivolously.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Tasers were developed as a defense tool for LEOs as a less lethal option than firearms.

Wrong.

Tasers were developed as an alternative means to hands on fighting. Its my taser or my Asp...you pick which one. One will leave significant bruising and damage...one will stop after 5 seconds.

You'd be better off just staying out of the Cop bashing threads. Anyone with actual experience and first hand knowledge is either ignored and/or accused of protecting their buddies. So far you've just been ignored, but give it some time, this thread is just getting started.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: JD50

Wrong.

You'd be better off just staying out of the Cop bashing threads. Anyone with actual experience and first hand knowledge is either ignored and/or accused of protecting their buddies. So far you've just been ignored, but give it some time, this thread is just getting started.

This is about excessive and potentially lethal force. If that stopped becoming policy, there wouldn?t be a thread.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: smack Down
The problem is that they are being used unnecessarily... they are like that new toy that they just have to try out.

Yep.

Law Enforcement Question: Are cops trained to use tasers tased themselves, or pepper sprayed? They should have their non-lethal implements used on themselves before they think about using it on the public.

For all you kids who think cops are just gov't thugs - they are pepper sprayed and when my buddy went through his schooling he was tased as well.

It is a good thing we have those cops. Protecting use from people who leave best buy with buying anything and forgetting their credit card. That will teach her for threating best buy profits with a sale delayed by a few minutes.

Yeah because it was only about delaying profits. :roll: Man you people are dense. The cop was called over because of the sudden exit(which is fine). Lady proceeds to disobey cops commands(not fine). She then resists arrest (not fine). You tell me who is at fault here - the cop who was trying to do their job(by trying to figure out if the card might be part of a fraud) or the lady who did not comply with extremely simple commands(an perfectly resonable) by the cops.

The commands were illegal. A cop has no authority to force someone to stop cursing and yelling.

Except this was about a CC incident which the lady caused. She did not comply with the officer who was trying to get to the bottom of the CC thing. So while you may want to attempt to make this about swearing - it was much more than that.

Wow, I can't believe the level of angst you kiddies have. Sheesh. Here's a hint - if you've done nothing wrong - DO NOT escalate the situation. How freaking hard is that?

I would like to see the police report to determine if the woman did disobey any legal orders. However, the article and the "disorderly conduct" charge suggest that the Taser/arrest was based solely on the woman's "verbally profane, abusive, loud and irate" behavior, which is a blatant First Amendment violation.

So you don't think she has to comply with the orders to comply? I don't give a rats ass about cursing - she still has to comply when the cops want to talk with you. You can't just keep moving away.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
So you don't think she has to comply with the orders to comply? I don't give a rats ass about cursing - she still has to comply when the cops want to talk with you. You can't just keep moving away.

There's a difference between resisting arrest, and using violence to resist arrest.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: sandorski

Yep.

So Cops are shoiwn their affcts and that gives them license to use them in any situation they feel like it?

Don't be ridiculous. If they act like thugs, they should be viewed as thugs.

:roll: I didn't state that - I simply answered the question.

You think trying to get the woman to answer questions about the CC situation is "thug"? Wow, you kids these days have a distorted view of cops...

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Wrong.

Well you know, maybe if you guys DID try and see the other point of view, you might get accused of that less. As it is, it hardly seems to matter WHAT the cops do, certain folks will be right there to defend them. Of course that goes the other way too, no matter what cops do, certain folks will attack them...but don't try and paint yourself as holding the intellectual high ground here...you don't.

In this particular case, I should think the complaint would be obvious. I think most people would agree that having a less lethal option is a good idea, but the problem with the TASER being better than an Asp is that they aren't really comparable...mostly because TASERs are used in all sorts of situations where clubbing someone in the head with an Asp would (rightly) be viewed as excessive force. TASERs are certainly used as an alternative to clubs and guns if possible, and I don't think anyone could object to that. But TASERs are also being used as an alternative to talking with a suspect or employing simple physical restraint. That is not what TASERs are meant for, and it is an obvious case of excessive force.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

Yep.

It is a good thing we have those cops. Protecting use from people who leave best buy with buying anything and forgetting their credit card. That will teach her for threating best buy profits with a sale delayed by a few minutes.

Yeah because it was only about delaying profits. :roll: Man you people are dense. The cop was called over because of the sudden exit(which is fine). Lady proceeds to disobey cops commands(not fine). She then resists arrest (not fine). You tell me who is at fault here - the cop who was trying to do their job(by trying to figure out if the card might be part of a fraud) or the lady who did not comply with extremely simple commands(an perfectly resonable) by the cops.

The commands were illegal. A cop has no authority to force someone to stop cursing and yelling.

Except this was about a CC incident which the lady caused. She did not comply with the officer who was trying to get to the bottom of the CC thing. So while you may want to attempt to make this about swearing - it was much more than that.

Wow, I can't believe the level of angst you kiddies have. Sheesh. Here's a hint - if you've done nothing wrong - DO NOT escalate the situation. How freaking hard is that?

I would like to see the police report to determine if the woman did disobey any legal orders. However, the article and the "disorderly conduct" charge suggest that the Taser/arrest was based solely on the woman's "verbally profane, abusive, loud and irate" behavior, which is a blatant First Amendment violation.

Yes, you can unless the cops has a basis to detain you. Which the cop didn't.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

There's a difference between resisting arrest, and using violence to resist arrest.

Agreed. I never stated otherwise. I've actually never stated the cops ultimate actions were "correct". ;) However, IMO there is no call for the level of hate spewed about cops here.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Yep.

Yes, you can unless the cops has a basis to detain you. Which the cop didn't.

Except for the FACT that the cop was called in to look into the CC situation. But yeah, I guess the cop had no right to question that. :roll:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Wrong.

I guess I've just ignored these threads in the past(or just don't remember them) but damn, the level of hatred of cops is disgusting. I suppose I'll remember to stay away from these in the future if they just attract the angst filled kiddies.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Wrong.

I guess I've just ignored these threads in the past(or just don't remember them) but damn, the level of hatred of cops is disgusting. I suppose I'll remember to stay away from these in the future if they just attract the angst filled kiddies.

And complete tools.

The problem with cop discussions here is that it's almost impossible to have a decent debate with the angst filled kiddies on one side and the goose stepping apologists on the other. Why cops can't be a decent group of people that try to protect the public while dealing with difficult trade-offs is beyond me, because I think that's what they are. But try telling that to the folks around here, for whom cops are either jack booted thugs or the perfect American heroes who we shouldn't DARE question.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

Except for the FACT that the cop was called in to look into the CC situation. But yeah, I guess the cop had no right to question that. :roll:

Again how does leaving the storing and forgetting your credit card in anyway indicate the credit card is stolen. For the police to detain someone there must be something to back up the claim that a crime has been committed.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Again how does leaving the storing and forgetting your credit card in anyway indicate the credit card is stolen. For the police to detain someone there must be something to back up the claim that a crime has been committed.

Did you read the OP/story? Guess not...

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002

She didn't start to move away until the officer attempted to falsely arrest her, hence the "resisting arrest without violence" charge. The "disorderly conduct" charge and initial attempt to arrest were apparently only for the bad language and yelling.

I have seen no indication that the woman disobeyed any lawful orders, but I would welcome any additional evidence proving my assessment incorrect.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

form the link
While Elizabeth Beeland was trying to purchase a CD player at a Best Buy on Nov. 26, she stepped outside to talk on her phone, leaving her credit card.

Are you whining that I changed leaving to forgetting? But that doesn't matter. How does the above in anyway indicate that the credit card was stolen?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

form the link
While Elizabeth Beeland was trying to purchase a CD player at a Best Buy on Nov. 26, she stepped outside to talk on her phone, leaving her credit card.

Are you whining that I changed leaving to forgetting? But that doesn't matter. How does the above in anyway indicate that the credit card was stolen?

Yes, you said forgot which was not the case. The cop was called over by the cashier. The cop was trying to get the straight story from the lady and she flipped out. If the lady would have just talked to the cop instead of flipping out.

AGAIN, I have not said the cop should have tased her - however the lady was STUPID for not obeying the commands and answering the cop's questions.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

form the link

Yes, you said forgot which was not the case. The cop was called over by the cashier. The cop was trying to get the straight story from the lady and she flipped out. If the lady would have just talked to the cop instead of flipping out.

AGAIN, I have not said the cop should have tased her - however the lady was STUPID for not obeying the commands and answering the cop's questions.

Yeah rights are stupid she should be water boarded then she would answer the questions. You don't have to obey the commands and answer the questions. The cop had no basis to detain her because the cop had no reason to believe a crime had been committed.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah rights are stupid she should be water boarded then she would answer the questions. You don't have to obey the commands and answer the questions. The cop had no basis to detain her because the cop had no reason to believe a crime had been committed.

Uhh, you don't have the right to resist being detained or arrested.

If you think you do, then you have the right to be tazed.

You are quite possibly the dumbest person I have ever seen on this board and that is saying quite alot.

I know you might score some e-hard points for claiming you "hate pigs". But that doesn't make what you are saying correct in the slightest.

Get educated or STFU please.

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
I say bring back the billy club and then see how quickly the masses demand the tasers back.

A big problem right now is that a lot people have no respect for authority--just review half the posts here.

If a cop wants to talk to you, respect him and do so.

If a cop suspects that you are commiting a crime and you escalate the situation by non-compliance, be happy they use the taser instead of the billy club. Frankly if you have to be told this, you deserved to get tased.

My friend bought a taser so naturally I was tased by him. It's not that bad, the worst thing is that you can't control yourself--basically you have a full body muscle spasim. But after it you're just fine.

The taser is a great thing for cops to have and people tend to forget it was designed to remove the club and make it safer for both the cop and the suspect.

Really this thread points out two problems:
1. Do some cops use the taser when they shouldn't--yes.
2. Do a lot of people automatically assume that cops are at fault--yes.
Which is a bigger problem to you?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Tasers used for designed purpose good.

Tasers used by under trained, unintelligent, or ethically challenged buffoons in uniform as a method of force slightly greater than the spoken word, not so good.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BigJelly
I say bring back the billy club and then see how quickly the masses demand the tasers back.
And then see how quickly people just start killing cops. Do you really want to get into a pissing match with an armed populace?

A big problem right now is that a lot people have no respect for authority--just review half the posts here.
When authority has respect for me, I'll have respect for authority. Those currently in power are drunk on that power and

Screw that. Why should I have to talk to a cop unless I'm committing a crime? They're our servants, not our masters. It's a two way street, but pigs seem to be increasingly thinking they are better than the citizens they work for.

If a cop suspects that you are commiting a crime and you escalate the situation by non-compliance, be happy they use the taser instead of the billy club. Frankly if you have to be told this, you deserved to get tased.
Deserve it, huh? Anybody that doesn't grovel at the feet of the almighty pig deserves to be tasered, eh? Again, they're our servants, not our masters. Unless I'm committing a crime, I expect to be able to ignore a cop and not be physically assaulted.

My friend bought a taser so naturally I was tased by him. It's not that bad, the worst thing is that you can't control yourself--basically you have a full body muscle spasim. But after it you're just fine.
Unless you're not fine, in which case you're dead.

The taser is a great thing for cops to have and people tend to forget it was designed to remove the club and make it safer for both the cop and the suspect.
Great, I hope you keep that in mind if you ever get zapped because some jackass pig on a power trip thought you looked at him funny. :roll:

#1 is definitely a bigger problem.

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: BigJelly
And then see how quickly people just start killing cops. Do you really want to get into a pissing match with an armed populace?

When authority has respect for me, I'll have respect for authority. Those currently in power are drunk on that power and

Screw that. Why should I have to talk to a cop unless I'm committing a crime? They're our servants, not our masters. It's a two way street, but pigs seem to be increasingly thinking they are better than the citizens they work for.

Deserve it, huh? Anybody that doesn't grovel at the feet of the almighty pig deserves to be tasered, eh? Again, they're our servants, not our masters. Unless I'm committing a crime, I expect to be able to ignore a cop and not be physically assaulted.

Unless you're not fine, in which case you're dead.

Great, I hope you keep that in mind if you ever get zapped because some jackass pig on a power trip thought you looked at him funny. :roll:

#1 is definitely a bigger problem.

Sadly, for society, you've proven my point. I'd like to believe you're only saying this stuff to prove my point but sadly you actually feel this way and have no repect for authority.

People like you escalate a situation, come off like a lunatic to a cop, end of getting tased, and are too stupid to know why.