Will the media ever stop making a big deal about tasers?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Tell me why I should respect authority. It has no respect for me.

People like you blindly follow authority when it should questioned. You're a far greater danger to society than I am.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: BoberFett

People like you blindly follow authority when it should questioned. You're a far greater danger to society than I am.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: brxndxn
300 people in the US have died from "non-lethal" tasers since they were introduced.. I wish the media would make a bigger deal.

That is NOT TRUE.

Here is the truth
Every single one of those deaths occured because the person was already in a very bad state from a drug overdose or something else was already doing a number on their body. The Taser may have contributed to the death, but in each of those cases the person was not in a normal state to begin with and the Taser was only a contributing factor. The person would have died using just about any other means of force anway.

So when people say that Tasers kill people, they are wrong. Tasers can make a serious medical condition worse, but any means of force will also do that.

Also, just so you know, Tasers are very low on the 'Use of Force' scale. Basically an officer will always use a step higher than what the (potential) criminal is using. A Taser is actually below a knife. It's below a Baton. Why? This is because Tasers have been proven to be A LOT safer than any of these other alternatives. And believe me, when someone is yelling at you and approaching you while not listening to you telling them to stop, it is a REALLY scary feeling. A Taser, IMO, is very justified having been in that situation.

How many of you have been in a situation like that?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: BoberFett

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Don't tread on me.