Will Crysis meet it's match with The Witcher 2?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I've been looking at some screens of The Witcher 2 and holy shit. Looks fantastic.

IpONz.jpg

xqIQD.jpg

pw442nfj.3wm.jpg

y5su22sg.eie.jpg

Looking good!

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
If I said no, bunch of people would disagree, and if I said yes, bunch of people would disagree, ah the fun of forums and subjectivity. Alright I'll jump in and try it. To answer your question, no, Crysis hasn't met its match... and only Crysis 2 will beat the original. Oh, look, I'm wrong, because "each games have different art styles" and some games like "TF2 and its unique art style" can be considered better than Crysis' photo-realistic approach on texturing and 1,000+ polygons models and smooth animations depending on the personal tastes of certain gamers out there.

Alright, done, anyone else?

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
As Zenoth mentioned, subjectivity is king here, but I agree with him that Crysis 2 is likely the technically superior game. The subjective visuals and style however is obviously something that can't be coined.

I do have to say, Witcher 2 is looking far better graphically than I expected, easily the best looking RPG I've ever seen. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, considering it's pretty much the only triple AAA PC exclusive released in recent years, that I can think of off the top of my head anyway.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
A few things make up our perception of how good things look, including subject matter, art style (photo-realistic vs. other styles), other peoples opinions etc.

From a technical standpoint, Crysis 2 probably looks more real than Crysis 1 but the backdrop of a city is less 'aesthetically' pleasing than a lush jungle with its rivers and vegetation etc.

The Witcher 2, if The Witcher 1 gives us any idea, should be a nice mix of different locations which show off its engine and graphical capabilities.

At the end of the day, I think that The Witcher 2 will be more pleasing to look at but Crysis 2 will be the more technically accomplished engine, which if compared side-by-side with The Witcher 2 in as equal as possible screenshots, would win out by a narrow margin.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Witcher 2 is definitely looking real nice, and is the one I've bought already. W2 will be the better game I think (all things considered), but if CryEngine 3 is as capable as CryEngine was (and they take advantage of it) then visually Crysis 2 may have no match. However, as mentioned the setting change may make it "easier" to make the game look good while still being playable on a console. Have there been any DX11 screens of Crysis 2 yet?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If they are pushing the graphics that much I will just go ahead and assume the game play sucks balls.
I'll let you guys try it for a few months and if its known to be awesome fun then I'll jump in after the price drops.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
I remember Crytek saying that we've hit a wall with photo-realistic graphics with Crysis and not to expect anything better for a long while.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I remember Crytek saying that we've hit a wall with photo-realistic graphics with Crysis and not to expect anything better for a long while.

Well, if you were talking about the first version of Crysis they were probably correct. They had to cut that back to the version we actually got.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Part of Crysis's advantage is that one palm tree pretty much looks like every other one. Instead of having to model countless trees and then load them all into your graphics card a few will do the trick and the artist can then just shuffle them around so its less noticeable. Notice that this game uses pine trees which can also look very similar, but we'll just have to wait to see how good a job they did on hiding the repetition.

It's both the geometry and the textures that get repeated. Rage's new IDtech 5 engine allows for almost infinite textures and they hope their next one will allow for almost infinite geometry as well. Unfortunately it took them about 10 years just to perfect the textures, but hopefully they can get the geometry in about another five years or so. When that happens it will make most games on the market today look really, really, bad.

Last edited:

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
youll hate the sword wielding pervert horrid gameplay
its no coincidence that this thread is comparing the most overrated shooter to the most overrated rpg o the past half decade.
the witcher sucks
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/22-The-Witcher
this review sums it up

I disagree,there are plenty of gamers and review sites that consider The Witcher a great RPG game,I also think its a great game and I have played virtually all the RPGs out there ,you want to talk overated try Biocrap or should I say Bioshock.

Anomaly1964 : to answer your question it really depends on if you like RPGs,FPS games I find a bit boring (I do play them now and then)however you can try The Witcher demo.

Last edited:

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I disagree,there are plenty of gamers that consider The Witcher a great RPG game,I also think its a great game and I have played virtually all the RPGs out there ,you want to talk overated try Biocrap or should I say Bioshock.

Anomaly1964 : to answer your question it really depends on if you like RPGs,FPS games I find a bit boring however you can try The Witcher demo.

I do like RPGs so I will give the Demo a shot...thanks

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Crysis 1 is still king, and that won't change with Crysis 2's release. Going from an open, lush jungle to a cramped, grid-like city with tall buildings to limit FOV is a downgrade in graphics.

The Witcher 2 certainly does look nice, but it all depends on how much of that world you can move around in to fairly compare it to Crysis.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I disagree,there are plenty of gamers and review sites that consider The Witcher a great RPG game,I also think its a great game and I have played virtually all the RPGs out there ,you want to talk overated try Biocrap or should I say Bioshock.

Anomaly1964 : to answer your question it really depends on if you like RPGs,FPS games I find a bit boring (I do play them now and then)however you can try The Witcher demo.

I've played 20+ hours of the witcher and 3 hours of Bioshock and Bioshock is far and away the better game. Bioshock I want to keep playing, Witcher I keep playing in hopes I get to the good part that I've always heard about.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I've played 20+ hours of the witcher and 3 hours of Bioshock and Bioshock is far and away the better game. Bioshock I want to keep playing, Witcher I keep playing in hopes I get to the good part that I've always heard about.

Funny, I'm exactly the opposite with those two games.

Aren't opinions great? :)

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Bioshock and Witcher are both good games and don't really occupy the same game space other than being single player. I'm not sure why you'd compare the 2. The Witcher, however, was one of the best RPGs to come out, so if you are looking for an RPG, it has that going for it. Bioshock, was one of the best single player FPS games to come out.

I expect Crysis 2 will be less graphically impressive than Crysis 1. I also expect that Witcher 2 will not dethrone Crysis 1. It is unfortunate, however that is how it is.

Apr 17, 2003
Crysis 1 is still king, and that won't change with Crysis 2's release. Going from an open, lush jungle to a cramped, grid-like city with tall buildings to limit FOV is a downgrade in graphics.

The Witcher 2 certainly does look nice, but it all depends on how much of that world you can move around in to fairly compare it to Crysis.

This. I think C1 will prove to be graphically superior to C2.

themodernlife

Mar 24, 2010
crysis 2 is/will be the benchmark game visually for awhile, but i hear the bf3 gameplay vid on the net is the best looking thing ever atm

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Crysis 2 was designed for stereoscopic 3D so either you've got a 3D setup or you may not be particularly impressed with the graphics.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Crysis 2 is going to be a cross platform console port, so lots of compromises will have to be made. The Witcher 2 is a PC exclusive so no compromises have to made. So I think it's possible that The Witcher 2 will look better in many ways.

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
Crysis and The Witcher appeal to (near completely) different audiences. I don't see much logic in rating them against each other.