Wikileaks.org releases 90,000 secret US war documents

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/web/07/25/wikileaks.afghanistan/index.html?hpt=T1

"A whistle-blower website has published what it says are more than 90,000 United States military and diplomatic reports about Afghanistan filed between 2004 and January of this year.

The first-hand accounts are the military's own raw data on the war, including numbers killed, casualties, threat reports and the like, according to Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks.org, which published the material Sunday."

If either of my Army sons get injured or killed because this org/guy released these docs ...

Thread discussion has left sane & entered nutty territory. Sending this thread over to P&N to keep the nuts out of OT. -DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004

"A whistle-blower website has published what it says are more than 90,000 United States military and diplomatic reports about Afghanistan filed between 2004 and January of this year.

The first-hand accounts are the military's own raw data on the war, including numbers killed, casualties, threat reports and the like, according to Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks.org, which published the material Sunday."

If either of my Army sons get injured or killed because this org/guy released these docs ...

?? I doubt any of the docs are intelligence...They aren't stupid.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
90% of these are going to be in power point. The road to war is paved with power point slides. Everyone knows this.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

I feel the same way. There out to be something that can be done about the release of classified documents.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000

The first-hand accounts are the military's own raw data on the war, including numbers killed, casualties, threat reports and the like, The first-hand accounts are the military's own raw data on the war, including numbers killed, casualties, threat reports and the like,

How exactly is a terrorist going to use "casualty reports" to injur or kill your army son?

"10,000 US Soldiers were killed in the war" has now become a mission briefing for a mission your son is going on?

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
If someone had had the balls to leak proof that Bush was doctoring the evidence for the Iraq war, there might have been some 4000+ fewer US military casualties.

Just saying maybe you should reserve your anger for those who put your sons in harms way, rather than those trying to find out why.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000

Well.. according to the info.. some are..

The reports, while written by soldiers and intelligence officers mainly describing lethal military actions involving the United States military, also include intelligence information, reports of meetings with political figures, and related detail.

however

The reports cover most units from the US Army with the exception of most US Special Forces' activities. The reports do not generally cover top-secret operations or European and other ISAF Forces operations.

and looks like wikileaks is doing their own "editing"

We have delayed the release of some 15,000 reports from the total archive as part of a harm minimization process demanded by our source. After further review, these reports will be released, with occasional redactions, and eventually, in full, as the security situation in Afghanistan permits.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
The first-hand accounts are the military's own raw data on the war, including numbers killed, casualties, threat reports and the like, The first-hand accounts are the military's own raw data on the war, including numbers killed, casualties, threat reports and the like,

How exactly is a terrorist going to use "casualty reports" to injur or kill your army son?

"10,000 US Soldiers were killed in the war" has now become a mission briefing for a mission your son is going on?

Your willful ignorance is astounding. Casualty reports detail individual incidents with enough information that groups can confirm where and how much damage they are doing with different munitions. Threat reports are based on intelligence gathered from different sources. Terrorists can use these to figure out how we are watching them, and change their tactics. Now, how about you stop being so pathetically ignorant and educate yourself on these matters. Everyone knows this.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
The post above you was actually pretty well thought out.
I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately he started and ended his post with insults. I can't imagine anyone would ever be so boorish in real life and expect to be taken seriously.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

I doubt that the people at Wikileaks can necessarily tell the difference between what can be used against our forces and what can't. You'd be surprised at what information an enemy can find useful.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
I doubt that the people at Wikileaks can necessarily tell the difference between what can be used against our forces and what can't. You'd be surprised at what information an enemy can find useful.

And you might be surprised how much "top secret" information is hidden mainly for political reasons.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And you might be surprised how much "top secret" information is hidden mainly for political reasons.

This.

Maybe if our government wasn't so crooked, we wouldn't wonder why there are millions of secret documents.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

There are still tons of stuff relating to US operations in Vietnam that are classified "Top Secret."

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Bravo to WikiLeaks. I don't like military propaganda.

It's now confirmed that the insurgents do have portable heat-seeking missiles, despite our military denying it.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
I'm not too concerned about the terrorists getting a hold of this. They aren't exactly educated or capable of going through 90k documents and organizing it to be significantly useful against us. I am however concerned about the dozens of other countries who does have those resources and hate America. :hmm:

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

Sure, but they're leaking information about a war in progress. While their intentions are good their actions may have unintended consequences to the people on the ground in Afghanistan.