Wikileaks / Assange destroys Hillary's excuse of not understanding classified markings (c)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Do you even know what you linked to?

What sucks is that we have an electorate full of morons who think they know what the fuck they are talking about. The reality is that people like you simply regurgitate talking points because you aren't smart enough to do your own thinking and come up with your own opinion.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
out of the 30,000+ emails Clinton gave to the FBI, 3 had the (C), 2 of which were mistakes per the State Department (http://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/revisiting-clinton-and-classified-information/)

so we're talking about 0.01% of her emails... is it really crazy to believe that after years of her employees correctly not suing her personal email account for marked-classified info that she assumed these 1-3 emails to be mistakes or bad copy/paste jobs (ie: cutting out the 3rd line from a list to paste into another email)?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Don't misunderstand this, the private server was a bad call, Her answer was definitely designed to confuse and shake responsibility no question about that but I've come to expect that from any Politician, even Bernie would breakout some weird and confusing statements about guns.
These aren't that big to me and they may be big issues to you that's fine.
I do have problems blindly accepting evidence from a guy who obviously benefits from Trump being President plus the information likely going thru Russia first.

I expect a certain amount of truth avoidance from any politician as well. I don't think it rises to the level of "big deal" as you put it but as I said it basically is another piece of evidence that Hillary routinely engages in practices calculated to benefit her and that comply with the letter of the law but not the spirit, or at least walk along the very edge of what's legal. Not reason why she should not be POTUS (although there's plenty of other reasons you could choose), but if she gets the gig it's definitely something to keep in mind. While I disagree with a good amount of Obama's policies he doesn't seem to play fast and loose with the rules and has been remarkably scandal free, I highly doubt that would be the case with Hillary. There's a reason why Clinton gets abysmal "trustworthiness" ratings and this is another example of why. And yes, I don't dispute that Assange isn't operating as a completely unbiased media source but I dont' think that matters here. There's a simple way that Clinton could neutralize reports like this from Assange or other people who might hold a grudge against her, simply stop doing all that shady sh!t and they'll have nothing to report.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
There's a simple way that Clinton could neutralize reports like this from Assange or other people who might hold a grudge against her, simply stop doing all that shady sh!t and they'll have nothing to report.

They'll just keep dragging out the same old shit, like this.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
They'll just keep dragging out the same old shit, like this.

Well then she can at least say that's in the past and she learned from her "mistakes." You do however realize that anyone outside the most diehard partisans like you have almost 0% faith that she'll clean up her act.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Well then she can at least say that's in the past and she learned from her "mistakes." You do however realize that anyone outside the most diehard partisans like you have almost 0% faith that she'll clean up her act.

So, uhh, she'll handle email the same way? Really?

The upshot about the whole fracas is that she embarrassed herself. That's it- that's all there is to it. The rest is innuendo & bullshit.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
So, uhh, she'll handle email the same way? Really?

The upshot about the whole fracas is that she embarrassed herself. That's it- that's all there is to it. The rest is innuendo & bullshit.

Agree with you on the embarrassed part. I'm also onboard with the relative consensus that she didn't systematically and routinely have classified information on her private server although I have little doubt some slipped through. That would be more worth an administrative sanction than prosecution had she simply 'fessed up. She didn't take her medicine early so she continues to reap the ongoing innuendos and speculation ever since. And will continue to do so probably forever, and not without cause.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Isn't this coughing, lying, corrupt joke a lawyer? And she doesn't know what a classified marking is? LOL

Yup, she is clearly full of crap here... The only defense for voting for her is that she isnt Trump. A pretty damn good defense IMO.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Agree with you on the embarrassed part. I'm also onboard with the relative consensus that she didn't systematically and routinely have classified information on her private server although I have little doubt some slipped through. That would be more worth an administrative sanction than prosecution had she simply 'fessed up. She didn't take her medicine early so she continues to reap the ongoing innuendos and speculation ever since. And will continue to do so probably forever, and not without cause.

So you admit that it's just a heaping pile of partisan bullshit while maintaining that it's somehow justifiable.

Looking back, you might realize that it's just the freshest flop of a long trail of the same bullshit leading back for decades.

All Repub sponsored scandals are an effort to obscure the corrosive effect that trickle down economics have inflicted on the American middle class. Don't look at ongoing explosive inequality & secular stagnation- look at Benghazi, look at the birth certificate, look at anything other than what such policy has wrought & Repub intentions to do more of the same. Don't look at Repub attempts to cripple & discredit the govt of the people they supposedly serve, either.

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
Two of the three emails with the confidential markings were incorrectly marked as confidential (and weren't marked in the header).

That leaves one of 30,000 emails that were actually classified and that one email was sent to Clinton.

As someone who actually has a TS clearance, it doesn't bother me at all.
This is incorrect. Thousands of emails on the server were actually classified; some at the time of sending, some retroactively. The content determines the classification, not the marking. If a marking is stripped from a document, does that somehow declassify the contents? I know it's hard to keep track of which excuse we're up to now, but the latest from Clinton is that classified material must contain a header to be considered classified.

That we know of. let's wait for the next dump.

I mean SOS not knowing that (C) does not mean confidential. what do you think she thought when she gets emails with C. Just ridiculous with her lying. sucks we have these pathetic human beings are nominees.

She now says that she thought the (c) marking was in order to sort the paragraphs alphabetically; despite the lack of (a), (b) preceding it. Because, sorting alphabetically is something everyone does with paragraphs.:(

Reactions: 0roo0roo

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
So you admit that it's just a heaping pile of partisan bullshit while maintaining that it's somehow justifiable.

Looking back, you might realize that it's just the freshest flop of a long trail of the same bullshit leading back for decades.

All Repub sponsored scandals are an effort to obscure the corrosive effect that trickle down economics have inflicted on the American middle class. Don't look at ongoing explosive inequality & secular stagnation- look at Benghazi, look at the birth certificate, look at anything other than what such policy has wrought & Repub intentions to do more of the same. Don't look at Repub attempts to cripple & discredit the govt of the people they supposedly serve, either.

You really have difficulty grasping key points don't you? Hillary Clinton shares the same characteristic of Bill Clinton in that she exercises bad judgement and does something embarrassing, then instead of just taking the short term punishment for it decides to lie and cover it up and gets 100x the grief. Most folks didn't particularly care what Bill was doing to Monica before he lied under oath about it. People don't seem like they cared that much about her private server until she lied, obfuscated, and played dumb about it and all the ancillary problems it may have caused.

If you consider consistently being untruthful and misleading about things to be "partisan bullsh!t" then I guess she's the perfect candidate for you. Just don't be too outraged when you (and others who voted for her) are the very next folks she lies to and about things you do care about.

frog-and-scorpion.jpg

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
Do you even know what you linked to?

What sucks is that we have an electorate full of morons who think they know what the fuck they are talking about. The reality is that people like you simply regurgitate talking points because you aren't smart enough to do your own thinking and come up with your own opinion.

Did you even go through the link. There are confidential emails about her meeting a prince. one confidential email about Lavrov and when and where Medvedev was going to visit the west coast.

Do you think important stuff like that should be discussed over open channels.

Again I am rather for Hillary and not Trump, but these tiny lies really piss me off.
You get a email with (C) in the header over four years and you do not even worry about what that means. That's just stupid.

You see something sticking to your monitor; you will try to cleanit up.
You see something new on your email subject line; you should ask what that means. At such high levels of power ,you cant seriously be naive or not curious about what a designation in your email means
-Telling the FBI 39 times, i am unaware is just blatant CYA.

To the guy with the TS clearance gnouchi or something, how about you go tell something confidential to someone in the bar and then next day tell your boss that you were unaware it was secret. Let's guess what happens to you.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Did you even go through the link. There are confidential emails about her meeting a prince. one confidential email about Lavrov and when and where Medvedev was going to visit the west coast.

Do you think important stuff like that should be discussed over open channels.

Again I am rather for Hillary and not Trump, but these tiny lies really piss me off.
You get a email with (C) in the header over four years and you do not even worry about what that means. That's just stupid.

You see something sticking to your monitor; you will try to cleanit up.
You see something new on your email subject line; you should ask what that means. At such high levels of power ,you cant seriously be naive or not curious about what a designation in your email means
-Telling the FBI 39 times, i am unaware is just blatant CYA.

To the guy with the TS clearance gnouchi or something, how about you go tell something confidential to someone in the bar and then next day tell your boss that you were unaware it was secret. Let's guess what happens to you.

I did read them and I didn't see any specific information. Would you like to show a specific email that had specific information in it?

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Two of the three emails with the confidential markings were incorrectly marked as confidential (and weren't marked in the header).

That leaves one of 30,000 emails that were actually classified and that one email was sent to Clinton.

As someone who actually has a TS clearance, it doesn't bother me at all.

+1

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
This is incorrect. Thousands of emails on the server were actually classified; some at the time of sending, some retroactively. The content determines the classification, not the marking. If a marking is stripped from a document, does that somehow declassify the contents? I know it's hard to keep track of which excuse we're up to now, but the latest from Clinton is that classified material must contain a header to be considered classified.

She now says that she thought the (c) marking was in order to sort the paragraphs alphabetically; despite the lack of (a), (b) preceding it. Because, sorting alphabetically is something everyone does with paragraphs.:(

Yep, "thought" doesn't cut it for a person in a position of responsibility and leadership, the buck stops at the top as they say, if she didn't know, she had a duty to find out.
The fact that someone who's job involved consistently handling sensitive information had this little concern kind of says it all.

The full interview
JULIAN ASSANGE FULL INTERVIEW WITH SEAN HANNITY (9/6/2016)
https://youtu.be/it2W_6NfT-E

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Basically her defense is abject stupidity and total incompetence. She claims to not know what is classified and/or sensitive unless it's marked, and if it is marked, well, she doesn't understand that either.

I would point out the multiple ways this should disqualify her from the Presidency, but since she is running against Trump, I don't see much point. The bar is so low we need ground penetrating radar to know where the candidates fall.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Basically her defense is abject stupidity and total incompetence. She claims to not know what is classified and/or sensitive unless it's marked, and if it is marked, well, she doesn't understand that either.

I would point out the multiple ways this should disqualify her from the Presidency, but since she is running against Trump, I don't see much point. The bar is so low we need ground penetrating radar to know where the candidates fall.
without the headers or classified markings, how is she supposed to divine the status?

it's not like these emails were "FYI: John Smith, CIA spy in Pakistan, is scheduled to assassinate Yousaf Raza Gillani tomorrow." some of the "damning" classified emails contained nothing but links to publicly-available news articles.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
without the headers or classified markings, how is she supposed to divine the status?

it's not like these emails were "FYI: John Smith, CIA spy in Pakistan, is scheduled to assassinate Yousaf Raza Gillani tomorrow." some of the "damning" classified emails contained nothing but links to publicly-available news articles.

Not only that but why were people sending her classified stuff in the first place? There are special, secure systems that have to be used when sending and receiving classified info. Regardless of whether or not she had her own server, anyone sending her classified info was in the wrong. So not only did they use the wrong setup for sending such info, it's apparently up to Clinton to have known, just by looking at the subject line that these emails were classified, despite not having the appropriate markings and despite the fact that the emails were sent from and to an unauthorized device.

This is simply just political theater and the only people who care about it enough to keep bringing it up are those who are her adversaries.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Not only that but why were people sending her classified stuff in the first place? There are special, secure systems that have to be used when sending and receiving classified info. Regardless of whether or not she had her own server, anyone sending her classified info was in the wrong. So not only did they use the wrong setup for sending such info, it's apparently up to Clinton to have known, just by looking at the subject line that these emails were classified, despite not having the appropriate markings and despite the fact that the emails were sent from and to an unauthorized device.

This is simply just political theater and the only people who care about it enough to keep bringing it up are those who are her adversaries.

It's points like this ^ that get ignored by the ignorant.

1) The person(s) responsible are those that removed the classified information from it's approved, secure location. Not the receivers.
2) Any emails legitimately with classified data are REQUIRED to have a header marking that is automatic on the sending side system. The emails in question had none.
3) Not everyone with a clearance is aware of everything that is classified. That's the opposite of how the whole system is supposed to work. Need to know. Key component. Look it up. We'll wait ....

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

Let's see, senior official of foreign policy, what do you think classified intelligence data is useful for?

Yes shift the blame to others.... no.

If people are going to claim this person has leadership experience then they have failed spectacularly, they weren't even curious enough to check, let alone ask an underling to have the situation cleared up because they acted with impunity, with total disregard for regulations they believed they were above. It's why they ran their bathroom email server in the first place.

If people want to claim this person has experience in government leadership, well there you go, the "buck stops" every where other than at this persons desk.

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
It's points like this ^ that get ignored by the ignorant.

1) The person(s) responsible are those that removed the classified information from it's approved, secure location. Not the receivers.
2) Any emails legitimately with classified data are REQUIRED to have a header marking that is automatic on the sending side system. The emails in question had none.
3) Not everyone with a clearance is aware of everything that is classified. That's the opposite of how the whole system is supposed to work. Need to know. Key component. Look it up. We'll wait ....

That's the point of this though, Clinton and her staff disregarded proper handling procedures for classified information. We're not talking about 1 or 2 instances, but thousands. As Comey said, any reasonable person in Clinton's position should have recognized that classified info was being passed around on non-secure email. Now we're at the "Its not classified if it doesn't have a header" excuse. That's new as of this week, I believe. She must have just received a repeat of the training she forgot about due to getting knocked in the head.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Meh...Sean Hannity has Julian Assange on his show. That shows you just what Assange is all about.

Assange is well aware that Hillary, if she decides to aid Swedish intentions to get hold of him, will be effective at it. Whereas with Trump he might be left alone.

Reactions: Thebobo

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Let's see, senior official of foreign policy, what do you think classified intelligence data is useful for?
idk if your standards are unreasonably high or mine are unreasonably low, but even as a senior official, it doesn't seem totally out of this world that it wouldn't occur to someone that a link to an article on NYTimes.com was considered to be classified intel without the proper notations.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
That's the point of this though, Clinton and her staff disregarded proper handling procedures for classified information. We're not talking about 1 or 2 instances, but thousands. As Comey said, any reasonable person in Clinton's position should have recognized that classified info was being passed around on non-secure email. Now we're at the "Its not classified if it doesn't have a header" excuse. That's new as of this week, I believe. She must have just received a repeat of the training she forgot about due to getting knocked in the head.

Have you ever had a clearance? Serious question. You don't need to hurry because I already know the answer.