Wife was sick, I did the grocery shopping...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Fritzo
When we go shopping, my wife usually pushes the cart, and she goes so fast I bearly have time to load things up. Yesterday she has a stomach flu thing, so I go to Kroger on my own.

MISTAKE

I loaded up the cart with everything I've always wanted, but never had time to get :D The cart was piled so high I couldn't load it up anymore. My jaw dropped when the bill came to $440, but after using that stupid Kroger card it went down to $338---we usually spend about $150 on our family of 4 LOL!

It took two freakin' hours to put groceries away heheheh. Who wants dinner!!!!!

Did you do THIS?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Pabster
LOL about the "fatty" posts :laugh:

The reality is that $338 isn't much, and especially if you are in to eating healthy. I spend twice that, twice per month.

(Take a look at how much lean chicken breasts, lean turkey, and salmon steaks cost...)

If he was a fatty, he could have gotten by for less than $100. :p

The fatty comment was a joke.

Spending that kind of money is just not smart shopping imho. If one comparison shopped between different stores, you could cut your food bill in half, easily by buying what's on sale and in bulk(if possible).

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

The reality is that $338 isn't much, and especially if you are in to eating healthy. I spend twice that, twice per month.

(Take a look at how much lean chicken breasts, lean turkey, and salmon steaks cost...)

Spending that kind of money is just not smart shopping imho. If one comparison shopped between different stores, you could cut your food bill in half, easily by buying what's on sale and in bulk(if possible).

in order to comparision shop between different stores i have to drive 30 min away to get to store #2

not really worth it

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003

what's he going to do with 10lbs of beef?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

With the cost of fuel now, it isn't economical, particularly when you are 40 miles from a metro as I am. The added cost of running around for 'sales' and 'specials' is more than what would be saved...not to mention the cost of my time, which is valuable. :)

Good, healthy food costs money. That's just the way it is.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
It is opposite for us, but mainly because I am looking for the deals and generic brands and she just loads up on whatever name brand she wants without looking at the price.

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Originally posted by: legoman666

what's he going to do with 10lbs of beef?

Um..10lbs of beef isn't really bulk.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
$338!!! That's almost two months worth of food for me.:shocked:

I order in several nights a week and spend at least that a week at the grocery store.

Formula, diapers, & wipes add up...

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: lozina
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Jesus... I feel bad when I spend $60 at the grocery store.

you kidding me? that's like just one steak dinner for us
$60 for one meal???? If I stretched it, I'm sure I could make $60 last two weeks.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

Truth.

I bought 2 whole chickens, 5 lbs chicken breasts, 4 porterhouse steaks ($4.99 lb- good deal!), 4 sirloins, 2 lbs bacon, 2 lbs smoked sausage, deli turkey ham and roast beef, and a pork roast.

In produce I bought 5lbs apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, onions, green & yellow peppers, some leeks, celery, carrots, couple different kinds of lettuce, radishes, tomatoes, and a couple of other odds and ends.

Those two sections alone cost half the bill :) If you're getting out cheap in groceries, you're probably buying a lot of carb loaded boxed/processed food, which means if you're not a fatty now, you will be in the future.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Jesus... I feel bad when I spend $60 at the grocery store.

$60 for one meal???? If I stretched it, I'm sure I could make $60 last two weeks.

so coudl I if all i wanted to do was eat bread and rice

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Lothar
When we go shopping, my wife usually pushes the cart, and she goes so fast I bearly have time to load things up. Yesterday she has a stomach flu thing, so I go to Kroger on my own.

MISTAKE

I loaded up the cart with everything I've always wanted, but never had time to get :D The cart was piled so high I couldn't load it up anymore. My jaw dropped when the bill came to $440, but after using that stupid Kroger card it went down to $338---we usually spend about $150 on our family of 4 LOL!

It took two freakin' hours to put groceries away heheheh. Who wants dinner!!!!!

Did you do THIS?

LOL! I was the only one in line (they had three baggers just for me :D ) so I didn't really have time to read. I'll have to try that in the future heheh.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers
It is opposite for us, but mainly because I am looking for the deals and generic brands and she just loads up on whatever name brand she wants without looking at the price.

The thing is, I used coupons, bought Kroger brand stuff (their stuff is good!), and still spent that much. They had some great deals, it's just fresh food costs $$$$$

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000

The thing is, I used coupons, bought Kroger brand stuff (their stuff is good!), and still spent that much. They had some great deals, it's just fresh food costs $$$$$

Is Kroger one of those stores that have a store card? (I live in Market Basket country).

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Gibson486

Is Kroger one of those stores that have a store card? (I live in Market Basket country).

Yeah. I think they're the largest grocery store chain in the US now (at least one of the largest). It's my favorite grocery store.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com

I don't really like red meat :eek:. I'm also too lazy to really cook, so I just buy things I can nuke. Although, pasta is usually fine as it cooks pretty fast.

learn to cook, its a whole hell of a lot better tasting and better for you.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Crap man. My wife and I try to not spend more than $70 a week on groceries, and I eat a lot.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: Beev
I could spend $338 and eat for 6 months :eek:

you could live on less then 2$ a day? i doubt that

Probably. I'd buy a TON of pasta. I love it and it's way, way cheap, and I live alone so I only ever have to make dinner for myself. Or lunch. I tend to only eat one meal a day.