Why won't Nintendo discount the Wii U?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Geez, getting a little worked up in here... Pretty sure the point is that - until Sony states it is coming out this year - you can't know for sure if it is coming out this year, although surrounding information may make it likely.

In addition, plenty of companies slip on release dates, even Sony stating it isn't a 100% guarantee (although, I would hope for argument sake it would be enough to quit arguing).

It will come out when it comes out :)

How can YOU tell me what my point was?! People keep trying to tell me what the "point" was when
A) *I* made the point
B) His statement was even more presumptively incorrect (kinda my point)

neither sony nor ms is releasing an "upgraded" console by the end of this year.
XBOX One S and PlayStation 4 Neo are both "upgraded" and are both set for 2016. Only XBOX One code name Scorpio and Nintendo code name NX are set for 2017. Not sure where you got a different impression.

The reason Neo was a no-show at E3 was obvious from a marketing standpoint: with Microsoft being so willing to talk Scorpio, announcing it this early would make things even worse. It would give MS an opportunity to kill much of the excitement and anticipation before it launches. They need to launch in 2016 because it's do-or-die for 4K UHD Blu-Ray and they're already committed to push other 4K electronics this holiday (TVs, AV receivers, etc). Unlike Microsoft, Sony is also a consumer electronics company and they can't just sit back a whole holiday season and sacrifice that portion of their business to in order to beat Scorpio. Making a Neo 2 next year is about the best they can do.

Anyone recall that in '96 or '97 Sony had the gaming press thinking that the PS2 would not be an entirely new console and that they'd continue making updates almost yearly? In 1996 I knew an old man who bought a PlayStation specifically for that reason (he thought the PS2 was going to be an add-on) and he'd try to talk to me about it every day. It looks like they might finally be getting around to that concept!

My point was: incorrect assumption needed to be corrected. That's it.

I didn't say "Sony confirms PS4 Neo for 2016!!!!!" I said it was expected in 2016 for reasons so his claim that it wasn't coming in 2016 was not accurate. We all accept that it exists but for some reason we can't accept the relevant information that came with that news (expected launch window and market justification). In his case, he simply wasn't aware of that part of the news, but then everyone else had to take up this "it ain't confirmed 'til it's confirmed!!!" BS. :rolleyes:

Edit: Oops. Accidentally edited this post while I was trying to create a quote tree. I'm on mobile, so ignore the strike-thru.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Well, now that both Sony and MS are releasing new hardware in the near future (i.e. before the end of this year), how does everyone think this will affect the new Nintendo console due to be released in the same timeframe?

Personally, I don't think Nintendo thought both Sony and MS would effectively upgrade their hardware at this time, which I think is really catching Nintendo off-guard. They were finally putting up the money into the console to have graphics power back on par with the other competing consoles, only to now most likely still be a generation behind.

Sure I know both Sony and MS said that the new consoles won't negate the current PS4 and Xbone, but we all seriously know differently. While the biggest reason for Sony's new hardware upgrade is to be able to do VR, and MS's reason is to stay competitive with Sony, I don't see how we will not see non-VR games not take advantage of the additional graphics horsepower (I guess we will see console games get the same graphics settings menus PC's have for dealing with the hardware differences).

I seriously don't see Nintendo putting in the time to re-do their designs with the higher end graphics chips needed to be on par with Sony and MS.

The NX will likely be using Polaris 11 which would put them on par or ahead of Xbone and PS4 while ensuring they'll probably be below Scorpio and Neo. Forget 4k, but for 1080p gaming the NX will still be behind but it won't be behind a full generation. If systems like the regular Xbone will continue to be supported as Microsoft claims then Nintendo should not face the disparity they did with the U.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
XBOX One S and PlayStation 4 Neo are both "upgraded" and are both set for 2016. Only XBOX One code name Scorpio and Nintendo code name NX are set for 2017. Not sure where you got a different impression.

The reason Neo was a no-show at E3 was obvious from a marketing standpoint: with Microsoft being so willing to talk Scorpio, announcing it this early would make things even worse. It would give MS an opportunity to kill much of the excitement and anticipation before it launches. They need to launch in 2016 because it's do-or-die for 4K UHD Blu-Ray and they're already committed to push other 4K electronics this holiday (TVs, AV receivers, etc). Unlike Microsoft, Sony is also a consumer electronics company and they can't just sit back a whole holiday season and sacrifice that portion of their business to in order to beat Scorpio. Making a Neo 2 next year is about the best they can do.

Anyone recall that in '96 or '97 Sony had the gaming press thinking that the PS2 would not be an entirely new console and that they'd continue making updates almost yearly? In 1996 I knew an old man who bought a PlayStation specifically for that reason (he thought the PS2 was going to be an add-on) and he'd try to talk to me about it every day. It looks like they might finally be getting around to that concept!

i thought ps4.5 was coming out next year didnt realize it was this year. i think i just assumed since it wasn't at e3 it wasn't coming this year.

x1s is not an "upgrade" in my eyes, it's just a slim redesign. there is no upgraded power gaming wise, just that it can play 4k video.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

Well right now we are just assuming the upgraded PS4 is coming out this year. Obviously we have no confirmation on it and Sony can afford to wait since Microsoft isn't coming out with their upgraded console until end of next year. I understand what you're saying that Sony has more to gain by releasing there upgraded console now since like you said, it will helped them sell more TV's, Blu-rays, and VR, but they can still hold out until next year to make sure it's faster than Xbone.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

The Neo PS4 is not confirmed for 2016. There has been no official statement otherwise. As for UHD, it is already outpacing 1080p Blu-Ray so it's doing fine even with one single player available in North America. Sony hasn't announced a stand alone UHD Blu-Ray player either. If they were that worried about UHD Blu-Ray adoption rate they would have their own player out already to compete with Samsung. Only Phillips and Panasonic have officially announced players for this year. There's no rush to bring out the Neo, that's obvious because they didn't use E3 to announce it. Playstation is one of Sony's most profitable divisions the last few years and is entirely separate from Sony's Consumer Electronics division.

i thought ps4.5 was coming out next year didnt realize it was this year. i think i just assumed since it wasn't at e3 it wasn't coming this year.

x1s is not an "upgrade" in my eyes, it's just a slim redesign. there is no upgraded power gaming wise, just that it can play 4k video.

It hasn't been officially revealed or announced by Sony. Technically speaking, it isn't coming until they say it is.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It has nothing to do with the announcement and everything to do with missing the boat during a crucial moment. Quite simply, it makes more sense to release the Neo this year as originally planned and a Neo 2 next year, but they can't announce it until close to launch or else Microsoft will steal their thunder worse than they already have.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Okay yeah that is what i thought, and as i mentioned, there is no upgraded consoles this year.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It has nothing to do with the announcement and everything to do with missing the boat during a crucial moment. Quite simply, it makes more sense to release the Neo this year as originally planned and a Neo 2 next year, but they can't announce it until close to launch or else Microsoft will steal their thunder worse than they already have.

Microsoft didn't steal a thing. They showed a bunch of games that are not even exclusive while Sony showed a bunch of games you can not play anywhere else. That's no win. Hardware is worthless if I will play all the games on PC.

It also has everything to do with an official announcement. No matter what you come up with to justify the need for a new ps4 this year it is up to Sony to make the announcement. Sony is in complete control of the market and that won't change with an Xbox that plays 4K content. Not when it doesn't bitstream audio for full support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X and thus far there is absolute silence from MS on that point. The current Xbox doesn't bitstream blu-Ray audio either.

Scorpio is over a year away, the new Xbox S doesn't have increased gaming horsepower, MS has no killer exclusive. Sony can afford to wait.

Last edited:

Fulle

Aug 18, 2008
I was recently looking at the 8th Gen exclusive games, to see if there was anything on the Xbox platform I cared about, and came to the conclusion that the answer was "no".

Lets compare platforms for a moment. This is what is currently listed on Wikipedia for totals on games for Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U:

Xbox One
Total Games: 800
Exclusive = 30
Console exclusive = 95
Multiplatform = 671

PS4
Total Games: 1111
Exclusive = 106
Console exclusive = 329
Timed = 33
Multiplatform = 614

Wii U
Total Games: 758
Exclusive = 253 (50 at retail, 203 download-only)
Console exclusive = 161 (23 at retail, 138 download-only)
Multiplatform = 343

The majority of Xbox One games are muliplatform, and play better on the PC or PS4. Due to the PS4's larger install base, a lot of the muliplatform games that are currently console exclusive will be ported to the PS4 as well. The Xbox One has a very small amount of exclusive games, at only 30, with few games I would consider "must haves". Frankly, I would list Xbox "must have" exclusives at ZERO, since the closest games to meeting that requirement are available on Steam. In certain game categories, the Xbox platform is absolutely pathetic. For example, there are ZERO worthwhile exclusive RPGs. None.

The Wii U actually has a better game situation than the Xbox One, believe it or not. The total number of games is similar, but there are many more exclusives, and the Wii U first and second party exclusives are generally high quality. The Wii U's weakpoint is that it doesn't fare well for big AAA multiplatform games, but its a very strong second system to someone who already owns a PC or PS4.

The PS4 has the most games vs any of the major consoles. There's arguably more quality exclusives on PS4 vs Wii U, and the system is a good choice for most multiplatform games. Many Japanese publishers, like Square Enix, and Vanillaware, have a heavy preference for the Playstation platform. The PS4 has a significant lead in many game genres, with a significant number more exclusives in RPGs, and fighting games, for example. The only platform with a decent baseball game, if that matters to you. A possible weakness is with racing games, since Forza was better received vs Driveclub, but the PS4 has most 3rd party racers ported to the system, and a couple Gran Turismo games in development.

Given what's available on other platforms, I personally feel the only acceptable reason to own an Xbox One is "I love Forza." Any other justification will leave me personally feeling like the individual is in denial, or stupid. For "stupid" I'd categorize individuals as misinformed, having inadequate ability to use a PC, unable to appreciate more complex game genres, or having an irrational attachment to the brand of a multinational company. Something to mention on Forza would be that it doesn't seem like it will remain Xbox exclusive, since the Forza Motorsport 6: Apex (Beta) is available as a free download on Windows 10 PCs.

Wii U fans might have a good argument. There's a good amount of quality exclusives on the platform, and its a great second system for most gaming enthusiasts, in my opinion. It'll be interesting to see how the NX turns out, since the primary weakness of the Wii U is a lack of AAA muliplatform games. I think diminishing returns on hardware, could make the NX more competitive in this area.

Last edited:

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
I was recently looking at the 8th Gen exclusive games, to see if there was anything on the Xbox platform I cared about, and came to the conclusion that the answer was "no".

Lets compare platforms for a moment. This is what is currently listed on Wikipedia for totals on games for Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U:

Xbox One
Total Games: 800
Exclusive = 30
Console exclusive = 95
Multiplatform = 671

PS4
Total Games: 1111
Exclusive = 106
Console exclusive = 329
Timed = 33
Multiplatform = 614

Wii U
Total Games: 758
Exclusive = 253 (50 at retail, 203 download-only)
Console exclusive = 161 (23 at retail, 138 download-only)
Multiplatform = 343

The majority of Xbox One games are muliplatform, and play better on the PC or PS4. Due to the PS4's larger install base, a lot of the muliplatform games that are currently console exclusive will be ported to the PS4 as well. The Xbox One has a very small amount of exclusive games, at only 30, with few games I would consider "must haves". Frankly, I would list Xbox "must have" exclusives at ZERO, since the closest games to meeting that requirement are available on Steam. In certain game categories, the Xbox platform is absolutely pathetic. For example, there are ZERO worthwhile exclusive RPGs. None.

The Wii U actually has a better game situation than the Xbox One, believe it or not. The total number of games is similar, but there are many more exclusives, and the Wii U first and second party exclusives are generally high quality. The Wii U's weakpoint is that it doesn't fare well for big AAA multiplatform games, but its a very strong second system to someone who already owns a PC or PS4.

The PS4 has the most games vs any of the major consoles. There's arguably more quality exclusives on PS4 vs Wii U, and the system is a good choice for most multiplatform games. Many Japanese publishers, like Square Enix, and Vanillaware, have a heavy preference for the Playstation platform. The PS4 has a significant lead in many game genres, with a significant number more exclusives in RPGs, and fighting games, for example. The only platform with a decent baseball game, if that matters to you. A possible weakness is with racing games, since Forza was better received vs Driveclub, but the PS4 has most 3rd party racers ported to the system, and a couple Gran Turismo games in development.

Given what's available on other platforms, I personally feel the only acceptable reason to own an Xbox One is "I love Forza." Any other justification will leave me personally feeling like the individual is in denial, or stupid. For "stupid" I'd categorize individuals as misinformed, having inadequate ability to use a PC, unable to appreciate more complex game genres, or having an irrational attachment to the brand of a multinational company. Something to mention on Forza would be that it doesn't seem like it will remain Xbox exclusive, since the Forza Motorsport 6: Apex (Beta) is available as a free download on Windows 10 PCs.

Wii U fans might have a good argument. There's a good amount of quality exclusives on the platform, and its a great second system for most gaming enthusiasts, in my opinion. It'll be interesting to see how the NX turns out, since the primary weakness of the Wii U is a lack of AAA muliplatform games. I think diminishing returns on hardware, could make the NX more competitive in this area.

You don't belong on these forums if you actually went to college.

Well put, and I've never seen statistics to back up the disparity in multiplatform vs exclusive games per console. Very eye-opening to actually see the facts listed out.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You don't belong on these forums if you actually went to college.

Well put, and I've never seen statistics to back up the disparity in multiplatform vs exclusive games per console. Very eye-opening to actually see the facts listed out.

that list is false though, that includes games that are not even out yet and includes games that don't even have release dates yet. those numbers don't really represent the current situation.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
LOL! The answer to "PlayStation 4 Neo is coming this year for [reasons]" is a vehement "No it's not because Sony hasn't confirmed anything!!!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Microsoft didn't steal a thing. They showed a bunch of games that are not even exclusive while Sony showed a bunch of games you can not play anywhere else. That's no win. Hardware is worthless if I will play all the games on PC.

It also has everything to do with an official announcement. No matter what you come up with to justify the need for a new ps4 this year it is up to Sony to make the announcement. Sony is in complete control of the market and that won't change with an Xbox that plays 4K content. Not when it doesn't bitstream audio for full support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X and thus far there is absolute silence from MS on that point. The current Xbox doesn't bitstream blu-Ray audio either.

Hello. It seems you can't comprehend the world outside general gaming. Let me tell you that your excitement over an E3 presentation is not the "thunder" I was talking about "stealing." If you read, you will see that so was talking about the PS4 Neo's Q3 thunder. If you have any sense at all, you'd know there there was absolutely no other reason for Microsoft to confirm that they were working on it other than to validate the rumors and take the wind out of the Neo's sales before they unfurl. The only choice Sony has now is to announce it *EXTREMELY* close to the release so that one doesn't appear more worth waiting for during the initial excitement and then get to work on a Neo 2 to face off with Scorpio. Obviously, a lot of the tools and effort and developmental procedures can scale to apply to a "Neo 2" as well, so it would not be as costly as the Neo to develop. I think it's a distinct possibility... for REASONS.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
point still stands there is nothing announced that an upgraded ps4 is coming out this year. no matter how many times you spew that it is coming this year, there is no official word about it so as of now it's not coming out this year.

and its 100% confirmed no upgraded xbox one is coming out this year, only the s model which isn't an upgrade gaming wise.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
point still stands there is nothing announced that an upgraded ps4 is coming out this year. no matter how many times you spew that it is coming this year, there is no official word about it so as of now it's not coming out this year.

and its 100% confirmed no upgraded xbox one is coming out this year, only the s model which isn't an upgrade gaming wise.
Ugh.

"Not confirmed to come out this year" does not mean it isn't coming out this year, which is what cmdrdredd defiantly proclaimed before his edit. FFS, THAT was my point. No matter how many times someone screams that it isn't coming out this year. Obviously, logic and other indications prevailed.

Now, don't you think that, logically, Sony not having a UHD player of their own yet puts EVEN MORE pressure to have the Neo ready this year? :hmm: I do.

There is one more scenario than "Neo now for 4K, Neo 2 for Scorpio" that I can see being possible: retooling the Neo into a PS4 without much more than the minimum for UHD BD (little or no gaming improvements) followed by a "back to he drawing board" Scorpio-class New in late 2017/early 2018.

Now, "upgraded" is pretty vague, but there is no question that the XBOX One S is "upgraded" whether or not games run better. Saying that there will be no "upgraded" XBOX One this year is categorically wrong, so redefining what you meant by it afterwards to dismiss my point is silly... especially when the PS4 Neo claim was even more wrong. My point was that all indications are that you were wrong on both counts. Developers and insiders all say "2016" for the Neo, Microsoft themselves says "2016" for the XBOX One S. The only difference Sony's official announcement will make is that it will set it in stone versus it being an unofficial goal now. It's pretty well known that it's targeted for 2016 when you said that it categorically wouldn't and that was the point. You graciously conceded it and then confusingly went full-circle to redefine "upgraded" and act like you were still right to claim that the PS4 Neo would not be coming this year.

So I'm making the mistake of assuming when I specifically point out someone else's assumptions that fly in the face of everything we know? Nothing personal, but of course I'm compelled to say something in the face of this kind of irony, especially when it is derisively directed at me and logically flawed in the first place.

Last edited:

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Geez, getting a little worked up in here... Pretty sure the point is that - until Sony states it is coming out this year - you can't know for sure if it is coming out this year, although surrounding information may make it likely.

In addition, plenty of companies slip on release dates, even Sony stating it isn't a 100% guarantee (although, I would hope for argument sake it would be enough to quit arguing).

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

How can YOU tell me what my point was?! People keep trying to tell me what the "point" was when
A) *I* made the point

neither sony nor ms is releasing an "upgraded" console by the end of this year.

My point was: incorrect assumption needed to be corrected. That's it.

I didn't say "Sony confirms PS4 Neo for 2016!!!!!" I said it was expected in 2016 for reasons so his claim that it wasn't coming in 2016 was not accurate. We all accept that it exists but for some reason we can't accept the relevant information that came with that news (expected launch window and market justification). In his case, he simply wasn't aware of that part of the news, but then everyone else had to take up this "it ain't confirmed 'til it's confirmed!!!" BS. :rolleyes:

Yes, I do get worked up when people who can't follow a conversation "contribute" their two-cents.

Fulle

Aug 18, 2008
that list is false though, that includes games that are not even out yet and includes games that don't even have release dates yet. those numbers don't really represent the current situation.

It's true that the list on wikipedia for 8th gen games does include "announced" games. It was difficult for me to find a list that didn't contain announced games, actually, but since announced games are included on all 3 platforms, I didn't think there was any unfair advantage given to any particular platform by showing numbers with announced games included.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ugh.

"Not confirmed to come out this year" does not mean it isn't coming out this year, which is what cmdrdredd defiantly proclaimed before his edit. FFS, THAT was my point. No matter how many times someone screams that it isn't coming out this year. Obviously, logic and other indications prevailed.

Now, don't you think that, logically, Sony not having a UHD player of their own yet puts EVEN MORE pressure to have the Neo ready this year? :hmm: I do.

There is one more scenario than "Neo now for 4K, Neo 2 for Scorpio" that I can see being possible: retooling the Neo into a PS4 without much more than the minimum for UHD BD (little or no gaming improvements) followed by a "back to he drawing board" Scorpio-class New in late 2017/early 2018.

Now, "upgraded" is pretty vague, but there is no question that the XBOX One S is "upgraded" whether or not games run better. Saying that there will be no "upgraded" XBOX One this year is categorically wrong, so redefining what you meant by it afterwards to dismiss my point is silly... especially when the PS4 Neo claim was even more wrong. My point was that all indications are that you were wrong on both counts. Developers and insiders all say "2016" for the Neo, Microsoft themselves says "2016" for the XBOX One S. The only difference Sony's official announcement will make is that it will set it in stone versus it being an unofficial goal now. It's pretty well known that it's targeted for 2016 when you said that it categorically wouldn't and that was the point. You graciously conceded it and then confusingly went full-circle to redefine "upgraded" and act like you were still right to claim that the PS4 Neo would not be coming this year.

So I'm making the mistake of assuming when I specifically point out someone else's assumptions that fly in the face of everything we know? Nothing personal, but of course I'm compelled to say something in the face of this kind of irony, especially when it is derisively directed at me and logically flawed in the first place.

um, you said the ps4.5 was "set for release in 2016" there really is no other way that can be interpreted.

just because microsoft didn't confirm that xbox s doesn't come with free blowjobs every time you turn it on doesn't mean it's NOT going to give you blowjobs every time you turn it on.

you se how dumb that argument sounds? that's exactly the argument you just made.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
um, you said the ps4.5 was "set for release in 2016" there really is no other way that can be interpreted.

just because microsoft didn't confirm that xbox s doesn't come with free blowjobs every time you turn it on doesn't mean it's NOT going to give you blowjobs every time you turn it on.

you se how dumb that argument sounds? that's exactly the argument you just made.

*facepalm*
Thanks for describing EXACTLY the flawed logic of cmdrdredd even though you falsely attributed it to me. You know why we have the phrase "set in stone" instead of just saying "set?" It's because "set to" doesn't imply "100% confirmed no way it can't!" Unequivocally declaring that it is not coming in 2016 DOES imply that it's 100% not coming in 2016. Do you see the difference?! I didn't just say "set" without explaining exactly what I meant by it either: I said it along with the details that "set" it for 2016 (the UHD/4K pressure from the consumer electronics side of their operations). It's pretty clear who is barking up the wrong tree here.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
A) *I* made the point

I wasn't talking about your point. I didn't quote you, did I? Yet you assumed I was referring to YOUR point. Don't try to tell ME what MY point is.

I can see how you got to double my posts now.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
*facepalm*
Thanks for describing EXACTLY the flawed logic of cmdrdredd even though you falsely attributed it to me. You know why we have the phrase "set in stone" instead of just saying "set?" It's because "set to" doesn't imply "100% confirmed no way it can't!" Unequivocally declaring that it is not coming in 2016 DOES imply that it's 100% not coming in 2016. Do you see the difference?! I didn't just say "set" without explaining exactly what I meant by it either: I said it along with the details that "set" it for 2016 (the UHD/4K pressure from the consumer electronics side of their operations). It's pretty clear who is barking up the wrong tree here.

You keep mentioning the consumer electronics stuff but fail to realize that Sony hasn't even announced they will have a stand alone UHD player this year. If it was such a huge deal for them they would have made that announcement previously like Samsung, Panasonic, and Phillips who will all have units available in the coming months(Samsung has the K8500 now). There's many people who would never buy a console as their primary UHD player because they wouldn't play games on it. Though many people over at AVSForum are waiting on high end players to arrive and will easily drop $700+ on one from Oppo but the point is they aren't looking to buy a console. Sony's electronics division isn't tied to the playstation division either. They learned from the PS3 launch about allowing the divisions to creep too closely together. The PS4 design team has said as much in interviews during the PS4 launch phase. So there isn't really anything to base the assumption that they have to release the Neo this year with a UHD drive on. The NEO will likely include a UHD drive but that doesn't mean they are doing a 2016 launch. Like I said they have all the time in the world to decide what to do with the Neo. Sales are good, they have the games coming, hype for the PS4 after E3 is pretty big. They aren't in some dire situation where they need to throw the kitchen sink at consumers to get them to bite. Sony's gaming division is in a good place now.

Last edited:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I know it's a stretch and not their market but I seriously just want Nintendo to put out a powerful enough console over the Neo/Scorpio if nothing else to just get Nintendo back into the topics, hype and spotlight again. To reclaim that NES/Snes glory days.

They could even make the NX look like an old NES retro'ish style case. I think people would be into that. Maybe do a classic NES style skin on the Wii pro controller (ditch the tablet of course or make optional) or up the ante with the wii wand controls by adding trackpads like Vive controllers...whatever. But of course they need some killer launch titles and to include one of their best games with the console. That's one of the main ways Nintendo beat Sega was because Nintendo put their best, most popular game with the system.

Naturally price is an issue but honestly it certainly seems that people are willing to cough up. High end products sell if they are marketed as classy, fashionable, unique...etc and Nintendo could drop it's kiddie image by going the high end route.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I know it's a stretch and not their market but I seriously just want Nintendo to put out a powerful enough console over the Neo/Scorpio if nothing else to just get Nintendo back into the topics, hype and spotlight again. To reclaim that NES/Snes glory days.

They could even make the NX look like an old NES retro'ish style case. I think people would be into that. Maybe do a classic NES style skin on the Wii pro controller (ditch the tablet of course or make optional) or up the ante with the wii wand controls by adding trackpads like Vive controllers...whatever. But of course they need some killer launch titles and to include one of their best games with the console. That's one of the main ways Nintendo beat Sega was because Nintendo put their best, most popular game with the system.

Naturally price is an issue but honestly it certainly seems that people are willing to cough up. High end products sell if they are marketed as classy, fashionable, unique...etc and Nintendo could drop it's kiddie image by going the high end route.
Unfortunately they already announced that it's about as fast as the original Xbox One so it will be eclipsed months after its release.