Why We're Moving Forward With Impeachment

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
From the Atlantic, written by four Democratic members of the House Judiciary Committee (excerpted):

Despite assertions to the contrary by the president and his allies, the special counsel’s report and testimony are not the end of our investigations. We have now filed a petition in court to obtain the grand-jury documents referenced in the special counsel’s report. In that filing, we have made clear that we will utilize our Article I powers to obtain the additional underlying evidence, as well as enforce subpoenas for key witness testimony, and broaden our investigations to include conflicts of interest and financial misconduct.

While many people believe that beginning an impeachment investigation can begin only with a vote of the full House of Representatives, this is not true. Article I authorizes the House Judiciary Committee to begin this process.

As members of the House Judiciary Committee, we understand the gravity of this moment that we find ourselves in. We wake up every morning with the understanding of the oath that binds us as members of Congress, and the trust that our constituents placed in us to uphold that oath. We will move forward with the impeachment process. Our investigation will seriously examine all the evidence as we consider whether to bring articles of impeachment or other remedies under our Article I powers.

Our Constitution requires it. Our democracy depends on it.

This is how it starts, folks. Here's a link to the .pdf of the filing. I anticipate that Hair Furor will not comply with anything, no matter who orders it.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Can't wait for a Dem president exactly like Trump to show up.

Just to see how the Repubs would react to that ya know?. I think they'll teach the Dems what real skullduggery, epic hypocrisy, playing the media like a fiddle and getting unlimited help form Russia and China is like in order to yank that Dem dimwit out of office in no time flat AND get 99.99% of the public's approval doing it too.

Ain't that right 'Pubbies? :)

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Can't wait for a Dem president exactly like Trump to show up.

Just to see how the Repubs would react to that ya know?. I think they'll teach the Dems what real skullduggery, epic hypocrisy, playing the media like a fiddle and getting unlimited help form Russia and China is like in order to yank that Dem dimwit out of office in no time flat AND get 99.99% of the public's approval doing it too.

Ain't that right 'Pubbies? :)

The problem with going full retard is that you really dont have a place to go from there. And the R party Fox etc has been in Full Retard mode for quite a while now. Hannity would have to go into actual chemtrail and gay frogs territory to step it up from here.

Edit : Also, want to hear something from Pelosi on this.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Regarding the request for the Grand Jury's report for a judicial proceeding in the House, from the argument section of the filing:

In McKeever, the court addressed its prior en banc decision in Haldeman v. Sirica, 501 F.2d 714 (1974), in which the court stated its “general agreement with [Judge Sirica’s] handling” of this Committee’s request for the Watergate grand jury’s report and underlying evidence, and accordingly denied a petition for mandamus. Haldeman, 501 F.2d at 715.

In his decision below, Judge Sirica authorized disclosure of the Watergate grand jury’s report and accompanying evidence to this Committee for use in its investigation regarding the potential impeachment of President Nixon. Haldeman, 370 F. Supp. 1219.

Judge Sirica discussed Rule 6(e)’s “judicial proceeding” exception, noting that the exception has been applied in instances such as disbarment proceedings and police disciplinary investigations, and observing that “it seems incredible that grand jury matters should lawfully be available” in those contexts “and yet be unavailable to the House of Representatives in a proceeding of so great import as an impeachment investigation.”

IThere is precedent for this so it's going to be interesting to see what Felonious D will do if the court orders everything turned over the the House Judiciary committee. I say he forbids it and dares them to do something about it.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Also, want to hear something from Pelosi on this.

You may be waiting for a bit, Pelosi will say something once Nadler has done what he needs to do to get this started. Pelosi does not start the impeachment process, it starts in the Judiciary committee. If you notice, Nancy is letting Nadler and his committee get to work on this.

This shit isn't for those who want it over yesterday, I remember the Nixon impeachment and while it starts out tortuously slow, shit picks up real quick when the ducks start lining up.

Reactions: cytg111

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
They all think that Trump will be defeated and not have his second term.
So Nancy rather wait it out leaving it to the voters to kick Trump out.
That is a risky plan for democrats and for holding Trump accountable.
If Trump is reelected then so much for that plan. Democrats will not have a second chance.
And personally I think Trump will be reelected. There is just enough goofballs out there that still support Donald Trump regardless of what polls might say.
If old Joe is the best democrats can do then Trump has little to worry about.

Reactions: Bitek

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Sadly, I agree. So far, I haven't seen
If Trump is reelected then so much for that plan. Democrats will not have a second chance.
And personally I think Trump will be reelected. There is just enough goofballs out there that still support Donald Trump regardless of what polls might say.
Sadly, I agree. So far, I haven't seen anyone from the Dems who stands a chance...and even if by some miracle, the Dems manage to impeach King Donnie, there's ZERO chance the Repubs will ever vote to convict...if Moscow Mitch even let it get that far.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014

I look at it this way:

Democrats can't just jump up and impeach him, they have to build such a case that the American public at large will have no problem getting on board with it. This buildup isn't to get Republicans on board, it's to get everyone else on board. Right now the media is the enemy, they are going to be doing everything they can to hinder this because that's what they do best. As much as the Republicans whine, cry and bitch about "liberal media", the press is owned by the people with the money and wired to favor Republicans. There's an election coming up, an unfit President who wants to go for round two and time is running out. Regarding the Senate not following through on impeachment if the House passes it, that's a bridge we cross when we get there and we aren't even close yet.

When you come at the king, you only get one shot at it. I want them to get it right and that takes time.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
Good luck with that. The Democrats have been blowing smoke for two years. You guys are a pathetic circle wank fest.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Good luck with that. The Democrats have been blowing smoke for two years. You guys are a pathetic circle wank fest.

You agree Trump should be impeached though, right? I mean the evidence he has engaged in criminal activity is pretty overwhelming for any rational, objective person.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Much like building The Wall it’ll never happen but it’s useful to have you hunk there’s a possibility that it might. Keep dreamin :D

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I heard a suggestion that the House could impeach but not send it to the Senate. That would mean Trump gets impeached but not cleared of the charges.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I heard a suggestion that the House could impeach but not send it to the Senate. That would mean Trump gets impeached but not cleared of the charges.
now that is genius!
formally impeach in sept 2020 since voters only have a short attention span.
then hammer down with ads: he was impeached! get him out of the white house!

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
now that is genius!
formally impeach in sept 2020 since voters only have a short attention span.
then hammer down with ads: he was impeached! get him out of the white house!

I don't think waiting that long to start would appear as anything more as a stunt and it would be. I say that because no possible conclusion could be reached in that span of time. I like the idea if it's a possible alternative to handing this off to the Senate if done early enough to conclude before the election proper. It would be a process of exposing the facts without as much interference. Barr and Trump's obstruction is much more in doubt as being accepted because of the precedent of Nixon and the House has powers not used otherwise. Being hauled in and arrested would be on the table. Mitch can bitch but the one day joke of a trial finding Trump innocent as a given couldn't happen.

Show what did and is happening with this administration and let the voters decide.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
You agree Trump should be impeached though, right? I mean the evidence he has engaged in criminal activity is pretty overwhelming for any rational, objective person.

Sure, Trump should be impeached.

But the ability to thwart the effort should never be brought to Mitch Mcconnell. Best you can hope for before the election is to open further investigation.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
But he won't be impeached, they're not moving anywhere with impeachment. Nothing to impeach Trump over, the Mueller testimony only made that obvious.

Why impeachment is in park and has always been despite the sheeple jumping on a bandwagon.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I don't think waiting that long to start would appear as anything more as a stunt and it would be. I say that because no possible conclusion could be reached in that span of time.

ok, start formal impeachment such that it should end in sept 2020.

and so what if it looks like a stunt?
the voting public are idiots, evidenced that they voted in Trump.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
But he won't be impeached, they're not moving anywhere with impeachment. Nothing to impeach Trump over, the Mueller testimony only made that obvious.

Why impeachment is in park and has always been despite the sheeple jumping on a bandwagon.
Got him dead to rights on obstruction. Comprehend it troll boy. Obstruction.

Reactions: Burpo

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
ok, start formal impeachment such that it should end in sept 2020.

and so what if it looks like a stunt?
the voting public are idiots, evidenced that they voted in Trump.

If Trumpettes do then I don't care. The difference is that if we wait we'll have learned nothing useful. With that being a virtual certainty any claim of shens has legs and I know neither of us wants that.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It pretty much already has if youd been paying attention and not blinded by partisanship.
Everything that interests you has been presented. There is obviously more to the story and that will come out over the next few months. I don't mind waiting.