Why was the Ikea Jerker discontinued?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Jerkers were being sold all over CL when I was in the market for a new desk. looked too...bland and lame for me. I wanted one of those Galant set-ups (simple, unassuming?).

ended up with this

couldn't be happier ;)

I have space to spread out my work (err...paid and unpaid bills, that is). but actual workspace is what matters. I had a setup similar to the jerker. Won't go back to that.

I actually got my Jerker over CL for $50

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I ended up buying a Galant instead. It's probably not as good as the Jerker was, but it's still a nice computer/work desk.

Jun 4, 2005
Just found one being sold on a craigslist type of website. Hopefully I can snag it for $50. My brother's gonna be pissed. =]

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
Originally posted by: LoKe
Just found one being sold on a craigslist type of website. Hopefully I can snag it for $50.

go for it! it's a nice desk.

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Juno
Just found one being sold on a craigslist type of website. Hopefully I can snag it for $50.

Meh. He says he paid $80 for it and won't sell it for $50. Screw that, I'm not paying any more for that simple desk. It's nice, but I don't want it that badly.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004

Meh. He says he paid $80 for it and won't sell it for $50. Screw that, I'm not paying any more for that simple desk. It's nice, but I don't want it that badly.

if he uses it for years, there's no reason to resell for $80.

Jun 4, 2005

I had no intentions of paying any more than $50 - $60, anyways. New or used. ;)

I wonder if they displayed it properly instore. I think the reason it received no attention is because it looked like a simple, plain desk. If they had shown pictures of it with the addon shelves on their website, then it probably would have sold better, and wouldn't have been discontinued.

Are there any other desks with the same shelf style?

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004

I had no intentions of paying any more than $50 - $60, anyways. New or used. ;)

I wonder if they displayed it properly instore. I think the reason it received no attention is because it looked like a simple, plain desk. If they had shown pictures of it with the addon shelves on their website, then it probably would have sold better, and wouldn't have been discontinued.

Are there any other desks with the same shelf style?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60111123