Why Walmart is getting too expensive for the middle class

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Price of a ribeye is around 10 bucks that I can see from shopping locally, where is it $5?
Price of beef is a standard thing; it's half that. Price of a ribeye is going to increase as the price of beef increases.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...ng-to-63-year-low-means-record-beef-cost.html
The price of all-fresh retail beef climbed to a record $5.036 a pound in December, USDA data show.

Mcowned said beef is $10/lb. It's exactly half that. Mcowned is rambling on about his $10/lb here, too: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36038722&postcount=19

That's his new thing I guess after $5 gas and $10 milk never happened, it's $10/lb beef. He must shop at the most expensive stores ever.

Last edited:

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Price of beef is a standard thing; it's half that. Price of a ribeye is going to increase as the price of beef increases.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...ng-to-63-year-low-means-record-beef-cost.html
The price of all-fresh retail beef climbed to a record $5.036 a pound in December, USDA data show.

Mcowned said beef is $10/lb. It's exactly half that. Mcowned is rambling on about his $10/lb here, too: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36038722&postcount=19

That's his new thing I guess after $5 gas and $10 milk never happened, it's $10/lb beef. He must shop at the most expensive stores ever.

You must buy your beef in bulk - alternator size

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
$470 plus you eat out a lot?

Yikes, think you might like to try and cut that in half with water instead???

Do you want to live past 40?

I posted some fridge pictures in one of the grocery shopping threads in OT that gave an example of my food purchase habits...
Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3 Pic 4 Pic 5 Pic 6 Pic 7 Milk

I need the calories in the milk to maintain body mass. I'm very physically active, 6'2", 195lbs.

I hope to live till I'm around 55.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

He said "rib eye," not generic "beef." At what grocery store do you shop where hamburger costs the same per pound as fillet mignon? $10 is pretty close to the regular price for rib eye; the price seems to vary quite a bit, like most meats. I've seen it for as much as $12.99 at one grocery store, and on sale at another for as little as $6.99/pound for packages with 2 or 3 steaks. If buying in bulk - the whole ribeye (roughly 10-15 pounds worth as one cut), I've seen it as low as $5.99, on up.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by Doppel
This is why I have nothing but scorn for you.

The price of beef is half what you just mentioned.

Learn how to use the internet, troll.

Your thread in OT got locked because it was a double-post, and I was the first to point it out.

I hope you enjoyed it getting locked.

Aren't you obese? Maybe you should not call the kettle black and work on your own health first.

Price of a ribeye is around 10 bucks that I can see from shopping locally, where is it $5?

He can't show a Ribeye for $5

The only thing he shows for sure is his "scorn" for me as he clearly posts for the world to see.

Unfortunately he gets management of this site to go along with his "scorn" for me and they listen to an obviously fanatical nut.

That's pretty sad.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I posted some fridge pictures in one of the grocery shopping threads in OT that gave an example of my food purchase habits...
Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3 Pic 4 Pic 5 Pic 6 Pic 7 Milk

I need the calories in the milk to maintain body mass. I'm very physically active, 6'2", 195lbs.

I hope to live till I'm around 55.

I'm 52 now and don't expect to be dead in 3 years.

How old are you now, 20?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Wal Mart destroyed the middle class by driving offshoring, and now it's suffering because they're losing customers... Big surprise.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Nice selection, but I would ditch the diet soft drinks.

Since then I've switched almost exclusively to Dr. Pepper Ten. I love the taste and the misogyny is just icing on the cake. I'm not worried about diet soft drinks making me fat, so what's the concern?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
55 isn't exactly old.

Well I'm never going to have kids, so unless I'm getting a large amount of satisfaction from what I'm doing to help the world, I just don't see much of a point in sticking around getting slower mentally and physically. I'd just be a drain on the rest of the world.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
With the cut to food stamps that took effect at the beginning of the November all grocers are projecting lower revenue and profit. The new farm bill cuts them another one billion a year.

Basically grocers are going to miss out on $5billion in revenue + another $1billion a year going forward.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yep, time to go to the Grocery Outlet, then stop off at Winco. No Wally World for moi.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
He said "rib eye," not generic "beef."
No he didn't; he said exactly this:
Have not been able to afford a Ribeye since beef went to $10 a lb.
It's possible to interpret this two ways:
1) Can't afford a rib eye since the cost of rib eyes are $10/lb
or
2) Can't afford a rib eye since even beef is $10/lb.

You think he said the first, but based on a reasonable reading of English he actually said the second; as you pointed out rib eye and beef are not the same thing, with the second generic, so to use a generic term in the same sentence indicates $10 of the generic item, not the rib eye.

Moreover, he clearly believes beef in general costs $10, since he said exactly that here: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36038722&postcount=19 without mention of rib eye. And so once again we come to the sad conclusion that he has created yet another alternate reality in which items he buys cost massively more for him than for the rest of us; e.g. $5/gallon gas and $10/gallon milk.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002

He does... in Chicago...

Chicago also has some of the highest gas prices country wide.

Chicago avg gas price right now is $3.56 vs the national average of $3.26 If you use premium in Chicago its right around $4 still. Their gas taxes are outrageous making everything that rely on gas expensive, like passing on the extra cost of truck delivery to consumers.

Last edited:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
He does... in Chicago...

Chicago also has some of the highest gas prices country wide.

Chicago avg gas price right now is $3.56 vs the national average of $3.26 If you use premium in Chicago its right around $4 still. Their gas taxes are outrageous making everything that rely on gas expensive, like passing on the extra cost of truck delivery to consumers.

He no longer lives in Chicago, he live in Indianapolis.

As for high gas taxes, chances are he voted for the same politicians that instituted those taxes.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wal Mart destroyed the middle class by driving offshoring, and now it's suffering because they're losing customers... Big surprise.

1. This
2. This
3. When you think that 'this' isn't part of the equation, go back to #1 again.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

The middle class destroyed themselves by being greedy and wanting more cheap stuff instead of supporting US manufacturing.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Here’s a mystery of the modern economy: Growth is picking up, the job market is improving and most government data show the economy on the mend. Yet the parts of the private sector that ought to be enjoying a robust recovery aren’t.
You mean the government LIED TO US about how well the country is doing? Get outta town. I refuse to believe the government would lie to us by saying dumb shit like we can keep our insurance or that raising the debt ceiling does not raise the debt.

You can catch the government lying by looking at their actions. Why is Obama pushing to extend unemployment benefits? Didn't he and his team of retards say the unemployment rate is down (if you ignore the declining labor participation rate of americans age 18 to 55)? If the economy is doing so well, why are a record number of people on food stamps? Why is "dead mall syndrome" plaguing most of the country? Why is the commercial real estate market on the brink of collapse? Why do GM and Chrysler rely on sub-prime loans to sell cars? Why are they still doing 65 billion/month in QE? None of this would be happening if the economy were recovering.

Last edited: