Why Walmart is getting too expensive for the middle class

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Could it also be that consumers are realizing that Walmart's prices really aren't the best on a lot of products?

Consumers don't remember that many prices. So, when they see those common things - certain groceries, paper towels, etc., a little cheaper at Walmart, they assume everything is cheaper at Walmart. That is not true though.

That's why I made a Poll in OT but it got locked.

Could not create the Poll in this thread so had to make a new one here.

So where do you shop?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
And for me, just like its sister company Aldis, Trader Joe tends to be cheaper than Walmart. However, both have limited selections.

I shop at Aldi's, Trader Joes, Cost Co and Walmart Neighborhood Market. Sometimes I end up at Tom Thumb or Kroger, especially win Coke/Dr Pepper is one sale for less than $2.50/12 pack. It just depends what I need as not everyone carries everything.

So you spend a lot of time and wasting gas driving all around town for your grocery needs?

Is this what all Americans are doing now?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Could it also be that consumers are realizing that Walmart's prices really aren't the best on a lot of products? Consumers don't remember that many prices. So, when they see those common things - certain groceries, paper towels, etc., a little cheaper at Walmart, they assume everything is cheaper at Walmart. That is not true though.

I have always thought that.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Where do you shop?

I buy American made products whenever I can.

But with increases in all insurance premiums(Health Care, Car, Auto), expensive gas and ever rising food costs there is very little left to save or spend on "fun" things.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
So you spend a lot of time and wasting gas driving all around town for your grocery needs?

Sorry I don't live in the middle of no where. All those places except trader joes are within a mile or two of my place.

Aldis, Tom Thumb, Kroger and Walmart are all on the same road and in the span of less than .25 miles. Aldis is the farthest away so I go there first and hop along to the others depending on what I need. Also depends on the weeks sales ads.

Only go to costco every two weeks. Costco is in the opposite direction but less than a mile door to door. I only go to trader joes when I am on the way back from visiting family as it's on the way to and from. I stock up on certain things that I prefer from there.

If you aren't shopping at multiple stores you are paying way more than you should be. Grocery stores love people that don't price shop and only shop at one(their) store as that's how they make their money.

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Ruining your follow up post.

FTW!

Could it also be that consumers are realizing that Walmart's prices really aren't the best on a lot of products? Consumers don't remember that many prices. So, when they see those common things - certain groceries, paper towels, etc., a little cheaper at Walmart, they assume everything is cheaper at Walmart. That is not true though.

I do think that is part of it. Walmart is not the best price on about 1/4th of what we buy. The fruit/veggies and meat are terrible.

I do hit walmart for most of it though. it is cheaper.

though i been shopping at hyvee more. the generic stuff is just slightly higher but the rest of the stuff comes out cheaper. so overall it comes out about the same.

the one huge thing walmart still has is i can get everything i need in 1 store. so when i need stuff for the house/fields i can hit walmart. big stuff i still go to farm and fleet.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not sure whether it's Walmart is too expensive for the middle class or that many of the middle class are taking a step down to lower class and can't afford Walmart (which I suspect is true). I guess those low wage service jobs are great...until you realize that your consumers now longer have enough money to buy your products.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

I support the hometown grocery store; they employ a lot of the local kids, pay them well, and last I knew, made huge donations to local charities, year after year. But, when I shop, I always get the best food I can get, that means going to a variety of places. Lately, I've only been grocery shopping about once a week, since it's just two of us. But, I also went to Aldis this week, particularly so I could buy a dozen 16" non-stick pizza pans. (See name), and while there, bought some produce. Their bananas were the cheapest and best looking of all the places I grocery shopped this week (and packaged in plastic bags, rather than just sitting loosely). And, picked up 4 pints of awesome looking blackberries for 99 cents a pint, and some kiwi fruit, and a big package of blueberries (And they all taste awesome.) Meanwhile, at BJ's, they had really nice packages of red raspberries, so picked up a couple of those, a couple bags of chopped romaine lettuce, and some really nice dog bones for the dogs. Still hadn't seen nice strawberries, and struck out again at Wallyworld. Ribeyes are consistently nice at the local grocery store, and we pick up other produce there - baby carrots, those little cucumbers, sunflower seeds, etc. So, yes, I shop at multiple places. I want the nicest looking produce and meats I can get.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I can't get with this multiple stores gig. Going to the store is inconvenience enough. Some of you are going to 4 or 5 different stores to get different things?! It's like the olden days, where you had a baker, a butcher, a druggist, etc.

I have noticed that the selection of some non-food goods at Central Market\Whole Foods sucks compared to say, Walmart or Target. Like garbage bags, ziplock bags, etc.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I can't get with this multiple stores gig. Going to the store is inconvenience enough. Some of you are going to 4 or 5 different stores to get different things?! It's like the olden days, where you had a baker, a butcher, a druggist, etc.

I have noticed that the selection of some non-food goods at Central Market\Whole Foods sucks compared to say, Walmart or Target. Like garbage bags, ziplock bags, etc.

Non grocery goods like paper goods and trash bags = costco.

As for shopping at multiple places. I probably wouldn't as much if they weren't all bunched together. It's not really much more of an inconvenience when they are altogether. I have a whole foods near by but I avoid that place like the plague.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I support the hometown grocery store; they employ a lot of the local kids, pay them well, and last I knew, made huge donations to local charities, year after year. But, when I shop, I always get the best food I can get, that means going to a variety of places. Lately, I've only been grocery shopping about once a week, since it's just two of us. But, I also went to Aldis this week, particularly so I could buy a dozen 16" non-stick pizza pans. (See name), and while there, bought some produce. Their bananas were the cheapest and best looking of all the places I grocery shopped this week (and packaged in plastic bags, rather than just sitting loosely). And, picked up 4 pints of awesome looking blackberries for 99 cents a pint, and some kiwi fruit, and a big package of blueberries (And they all taste awesome.) Meanwhile, at BJ's, they had really nice packages of red raspberries, so picked up a couple of those, a couple bags of chopped romaine lettuce, and some really nice dog bones for the dogs. Still hadn't seen nice strawberries, and struck out again at Wallyworld. Ribeyes are consistently nice at the local grocery store, and we pick up other produce there - baby carrots, those little cucumbers, sunflower seeds, etc. So, yes, I shop at multiple places. I want the nicest looking produce and meats I can get.

Have not been able to afford a Ribeye since beef went to $10 a lb.

That is why I see people with the Government stamps come to the check out with a cart full of Ribeyes.

Looks like I should stop working, then I can enjoy Ribeye.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Guess that is why our gas consumption is not dropping faster.

Americans are apparently running around like chickens with their heads cut off just to get groceries.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Non grocery goods like paper goods and trash bags = costco.

As for shopping at multiple places. I probably wouldn't as much if they weren't all bunched together. It's not really much more of an inconvenience when they are altogether. I have a whole foods near by but I avoid that place like the plague.

I have pretty much every major retailer within 2 miles of me, but I still don't want to go to more than one place. Their proximity to one another doesn't alleviate the problems of parking lot warriors, idiots blocking aisles, etc. And while I like the products at Central Market, all the extraneous horseshit like free wine\beer tastings and live music drive me ballistic, because they cause people to just loiter all over the place. I get in at least one Larry David-esque petty squabble per trip.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Guess that is why our gas consumption is not dropping faster.

Americans are apparently running around like chickens with their heads cut off just to get groceries.

Maybe a better poll would be how much you spend per person per month on groceries.

My credit card analysis tool tells me I spend $470\mo at the grocery store, and I'm a single guy that eats out frequently. I do have a gallon of milk a day habit though.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012

Those of us with jobs actually pass by many different stores on our drive home from work. And I don't have to stop at the two I buy groceries from on the same day either.

Not sure why it's tough for you.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Walmart is facing more completion.
The way I see it, anyway.
In the past they were the only guy on the block.
Now I find more cost cutting store chains building right within walmarts sacred pissing ground.
That's a new one....
Example, a food chain called ALDI grocery, started building stores directly next to or across from Wally.
No doubt cutting in on their territory.
So Wally must raise those prices to make up for the loss.
Most stores might follow the theory of competition, but not Wally.
Hopefully their loyals won't notice the higher prices.

Last edited:

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I can't stand the atmosphere in Walmart. Trashy people who don't control their kids and around here English is not the primary language you hear in there. I've only bought a couple things at Walmart in the past year, music and cheap DVDs. We go to our local bakery outlet for bread and pastries. We have a Winco here, so much of our groceries come from there and I find their prices on par with Walmart's foods, but better quality, in general. When it comes to eating good steaks, we have two local butcher shops that have far and away better meat than any of the grocery stores. We also still have a couple locally owned department stores that have good old fashioned, made in USA quality goods. I support those whenever possible. I also like dealing with locals who know your name when you come in, like it was growing up.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I can't stand the atmosphere in Walmart. Trashy people who don't control their kids and around here English is not the primary language you hear in there. I've only bought a couple things at Walmart in the past year, music and cheap DVDs. We go to our local bakery outlet for bread and pastries. We have a Winco here, so much of our groceries come from there and I find their prices on par with Walmart's foods, but better quality, in general. When it comes to eating good steaks, we have two local butcher shops that have far and away better meat than any of the grocery stores. We also still have a couple locally owned department stores that have good old fashioned, made in USA quality goods. I support those whenever possible. I also like dealing with locals who know your name when you come in, like it was growing up.
That pretty much IS the middle class now. :p

How many drunken adventure movies can they make? How many reality TV shows will people watch? etc.

Last edited:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Maybe a better poll would be how much you spend per person per month on groceries.

My credit card analysis tool tells me I spend $470\mo at the grocery store, and I'm a single guy that eats out frequently.

I do have a gallon of milk a day habit though.

$470 plus you eat out a lot?

Yikes, think you might like to try and cut that in half with water instead???

Do you want to live past 40?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Have not been able to afford a Ribeye since beef went to $10 a lb.
This is why I have nothing but scorn for you. The price of beef is half what you just mentioned. Learn how to use the internet, troll.
That's why I made a Poll in OT but it got locked.
Your thread in OT got locked because it was a double-post, and I was the first to point it out. I hope you enjoyed it getting locked.
Do you want to live past 40?
Aren't you obese? Maybe you should not call the kettle black and work on your own health first.

Last edited:

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
This is why I have nothing but scorn for you. The price of beef is half what you just mentioned. Learn how to use the internet, troll.Your thread in OT got locked because it was a double-post, and I was the first to point it out. I hope you enjoyed it getting locked.Aren't you obese? Maybe you should not call the kettle black and work on your own health first.

Price of a ribeye is around 10 bucks that I can see from shopping locally, where is it $5?