Why there's no such thing as "Reverse Racism"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
It's all about white guilt.

Whites can't be the victim of racists because whites should feel guilty that some people did some things some time in the past.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007

Whites can't be the victim of racists because whites should feel guilty that some people did some things some time in the past.

Like whites enslaving whites via indentured servitude?
Irish need not apply?
Asians being forced to work on rail roads?
Japanese having their rights stripped by a progressive druing WW2?

gandhi1

Dec 8, 2012
Their main argument is that because both blacks and white can discriminate against each other, that "Reverse Racism" is possible. But the truth of the matter is that black people: 1) have far less opportunity to discriminate against whites than whites have to discriminate against blacks, overall; and 2) black people lack a system of institutionalized support that protect them when they discriminate against whites.
There are three things that need to be taken into account when looking at anti-white racism

1) The issue is not just how many opportunities one race has to harm members of another race, but how often they actually act on those opportunities. For instance, blacks commit far more violent crime against whites than vice versa

in the 10-year period from 2000 to 2009... Black-on-white killings grew from 8,503 to 8,530, while white-on-black slayings dropped from 4,745 to 4,380.
This isn't because blacks have more opportunities or more power to murder whites than whites have to murder blacks. Obviously, if whites really wanted to, they could kill blacks in greater numbers than blacks could kill whites. But whites choose not to do this, they choose to show more respect for black life than blacks show for white life. (That the vast majority of black crime is directed against other blacks is irrelevant, it just means black criminals don't respect black life much either.)

So the equation isn't to consider isn't just how much social power whites have vs how much blacks have, but how they choose to use that power.

2)
Anti-white policies such as affirmative action are not just promoted by blacks, but by many minority groups in collaboration with white liberals.

When liberals try to claim anti-white racism is impossible, they will say that since blacks only make up 12% of the population they don't have enough power to systematically deprive whites of their rights. From the OP:

But the truth of the matter is that black people: 1) have far less opportunity to discriminate against whites than whites have to discriminate against blacks, overall; and 2) black people lack a system of institutionalized support that protect them when they discriminate against whites.
If black people were the only ones pushing affirmative action there would be a bit of truth to this. But blacks have powerful allies in promoting such anti-white polices, namely other minority groups and white liberals.

So, once again, it isn't just a matter of how much power whites have vs how much blacks have. You have to look at how white people use their power, and many whites liberals use their power to promote anti-white policies.

3) This raises another issue that is essential for understanding racial issues, namely that people can be prejudiced towards their own race. Academics call this "internalized racism." A famous example is when Jesse Jackson said

There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.

https://www.google.com/search?q=there+is+nothing+more+painful+to+me+jesse+jackson
Or Chris Rock's comedy routine on Black people vs N****s

Who's more racist, black people or white people? Black people, you know why? Because we hate black people too. Everything white people don't like about black people, black people really don't like about black people.
White people can also be prejudiced against white people. It's clear that big portions of the left think whites are uniquely morally defective, born with an original sin called white privilege, and that white western civilization is the worst thing that ever happened to the world. It was Susan Sontag who said "The white race is the cancer of human history." The OP mentioned Tim Wise, who is another example of this:

Why, oh why, are so many white people so effin stupid... honesty OC [Orange County] at least the white part, go die please... figuratively speaking of course, or literally, whatever

http://arward.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/quote21.png
Quotes like this are extreme examples but many liberals have milder forms of what conservatives call "white guilt", but they ought to call it anti-white bigotry.

(It's amazing how conservatives will jump through hoops to avoid saying "anti-white". They will use obfuscations like 'reverse racism' or 'double standards' or 'anti-American' or 'cultural Marxism' or 'white guilt' to avoid stating the blunt truth of anti-white bigotry.)

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
There are three things that need to be taken into account when looking at anti-white racism

1) The issue is not just how many opportunities one race has to harm members of another race, but how often they actually act on those opportunities. For instance, blacks commit far more violent crime against whites than vice versa

This isn't because blacks have more opportunities or more power to murder whites than whites have to murder blacks. Obviously, if whites really wanted to, they could kill blacks in greater numbers than blacks could kill whites. But whites choose not to do this, they choose to show more respect for black life than blacks show for white life. (That the vast majority of black crime is directed against other blacks is irrelevant, it just means black criminals don't respect black life much either.)

So the equation isn't to consider isn't just how much social power whites have vs how much blacks have, but how they choose to use that power.

2)
Anti-white policies such as affirmative action are not just promoted by blacks, but by many minority groups in collaboration with white liberals.

When liberals try to claim anti-white racism is impossible, they will say that since blacks only make up 12% of the population they don't have enough power to systematically deprive whites of their rights. From the OP:

If black people were the only ones pushing affirmative action there would be a bit of truth to this. But blacks have powerful allies in promoting such anti-white polices, namely other minority groups and white liberals.

So, once again, it isn't just a matter of how much power whites have vs how much blacks have. You have to look at how white people use their power, and many whites liberals use their power to promote anti-white policies.

3) This raises another issue that is essential for understanding racial issues, namely that people can be prejudiced towards their own race. Academics call this "internalized racism." A famous example is when Jesse Jackson said

Or Chris Rock's comedy routine on Black people vs N****s

White people can also be prejudiced against white people. It's clear that big portions of the left think whites are uniquely morally defective, born with an original sin called white privilege, and that white western civilization is the worst thing that ever happened to the world. It was Susan Sontag who said "The white race is the cancer of human history." The OP mentioned Tim Wise, who is another example of this:

Quotes like this are extreme examples but many liberals have milder forms of what conservatives call "white guilt", but they ought to call it anti-white bigotry.

(It's amazing how conservatives will jump through hoops to avoid saying "anti-white". They will use obfuscations like 'reverse racism' or 'double standards' or 'anti-American' or 'cultural Marxism' or 'white guilt' to avoid stating the blunt truth of anti-white bigotry.)

I am so sorry on your victimhood. Could you relate a personal story how these anti-white policies have harmed you?

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
No the government shouldn't play favorites.

The problem is, it already did. So what do you do to fix it? Sorry we fucked your parents and grandparents but we're done with that now. So work yourself out of the hole we put you in.

The government(s) and people chose civil rights, anti-discrimination laws, voting laws and EO to address the previous inequity.
So all of these discriminatory practices should just continue in perpetuity? When does it end and when can "white guilt" be left behind? The black community does little to nothing (on the whole) to pull themselves out of their hole and in fact their culture itself digs them even deeper...

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
There is no system of oppression in America that actively works to oppress and subjugate white people.. period.

Yes there is. Just look at carcinogen uptake. Almost every white person will either die or almost die from cancer or diabetes. Both those diseases are products of the same system. But I guess that doesnt matter because it doesnt discriminate.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
So all of these discriminatory practices should just continue in perpetuity? When does it end and when can "white guilt" be left behind? The black community does little to nothing (on the whole) to pull themselves out of their hole and in fact their culture itself digs them even deeper...

Income mobility was also higher in areas with more two-parent households,
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/business/in-climbing-income-ladder-location-matters.html?hpw&_r=1&

Is it whities fault that black people keep having bastard kids with 3 baby daddies?

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Is it whities fault that black people keep having bastard kids with 3 baby daddies?
Yes, unless you're racist;)

In fact anything bad that blacks have happen to them is whitey's fault...every time a black person succeeds it is in spite of whitey keeping him down...

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
It took black and white people working together for one hundred years to get programs like Affirmative Action installed in the U.S., but it took one white man (Alan Bakke) only a single Supreme Court case to get those programs dismantled because he felt he didn't gain entry into medical school based on his white race.

I can sympathize with the victimized Supreme Court justice. Hell I once applied for a CEO position, but was never called for an interview. Though they never said why, deep down I knew it was because of reverse racism.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Oh look, all of AT's racists in one thread. Wait, where's Svnla?

Still here, watching out for pathetic losers like you labeling people when they can not debate with facts and logic.

No comment on post #57 or #53 or #6, and others with links to support their arguments? What is the matter? Where are your link(s) or article(s) to debunk the other side? Nothing, nada, zip. Oh, must be because of racists. ROTFLMAO. You and your kind = Pwned hard!!!

Since you labeled me as a racist, read post #6 and then provide links to my posts in this forum or anywhere that I said something similar like Quanell X toward blacks. Let see who is the true racist. Get set, ready. Go.

Last edited:

jhbball

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2002
Still here, watching out for pathetic losers like you labeling people when they can not debate with facts and logic.

No comment on post #57 or #53 or #6, and others with links to support their arguments? What is the matter? Where are your link(s) or article(s) to debunk the other side? Nothing, nada, zip. Oh, must be because of racists. ROTFLMAO. You and your kind = Pwned hard!!!

Since you labeled me as a racist, read post #6 and then provide links to my posts in this forum or anywhere that I said something similar like Quanell X toward blacks. Let see who is the true racist. Get set, ready. Go.

Not all of the conservatives in this thread are racist. But you are! Congrats!

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
There is no such thing as "reverse racism." There is only racism, an attitude which can be held by people of any ethnicity.

The OP's author actually contradicts himself, by first arguing that racism is a perception and a feeling about people of other races - which is correct - but then trying to equate racism with the opportunity to discriminate. No, racism is irrational animus toward other races, period. While the ability to discriminate based on power is important, it isn't relevant to the definition of racism.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Not all of the conservatives in this thread are racist. But you are! Congrats!

Look like you are not so smart, so let me say it again. S--L-O-W-L-Y.

read post #6 <in this thread> and then provide links to my posts in this forum or anywhere that I said something similar like Quanell X toward blacks <or to any particular group>. Let see who is the true racist. Get set, ready. Go.

Put up or STFU. Pathetic troll.

Oh, since when I am a convervative? Look like you know me even better than I know myself. ROTFLMFAO.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
There is no such thing as "reverse racism." There is only racism, an attitude which can be held by people of any ethnicity.

The OP's author actually contradicts himself, by first arguing that racism is a perception and a feeling about people of other races - which is correct - but then trying to equate racism with the opportunity to discriminate. No, racism is irrational animus toward other races, period. While the ability to discriminate based on power is important, it isn't relevant to the definition of racism.

One may hold opinions based on many things, however there is a real temptation to make assumptions outside of ones knowledge or a reality based chain of logic to validate one's beliefs. Blacks can't be racist so other sources are cited as proof. It's a validation of oneself.

I could render an opinion on what you do, but that's not my area of expertise. I can say that black protesters are really shiftless vandals. I can say whites in Houston are racist for supporting Zimmerman. I can find agreement in other arguments. I can select the irrelevant, cite a vacuous truth. That however does not enable me to turn that which is false into reality

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009

It can and is at times a bit insidious than what you are describing. As there are those who demonstrate PC white guilt which is often rooted in a deep sense of superiority toward those they feel empathy toward.

Its not always acknowledged but it is observable via their actions which speak indirectly toward the view that certain "minority" groups are unable to be held accountable for, achieve at or sustain the same level of standards and responsibilities in society which they would place on themselves and their "equals".

jhbball

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2002
By the way, the author of this article isn't saying white people can't be discriminated against. He's merely defining the term 'racism', as something institutional (which may debatable). But from that stand point, he's right: there's no equivalent institutional mechanism that has held white people back.

Does anyone want to refute that point?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
By the way, the author of this article isn't saying white people can't be discriminated against. He's merely defining the term 'racism', as something institutional (which may debatable). But from that stand point, he's right: there's no equivalent institutional mechanism that has held white people back.

What's to refute? It's a ridiculous statement with no factual basis. Unless you're going to claim that every white person in this country could be rich and powerful if they chose to be, then there's something else keeping them where they are.

The same monetary system and government policy that keeps blacks down keeps whites down as well. It just so happens that the few people who keep those systems in place are white, but race has nothing to do with it. It's all about money.

If what you claim is true, then Obama could not be the president right now.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

There has been plenty of institutional mechanisms in this country holding back white people.
http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-irish-slave-trade-the-forgotten-white-slaves/31076
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Italianism
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-06-09-internment_N.htm

If you want to argue the degree, yes on the whole Africans have been treated the worst. But that doesn't mean a black person today has an exemption from racism. Changing the definition of a word does not prove an argument about the commonly accepted definition of that same word.

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
One may hold opinions based on many things, however there is a real temptation to make assumptions outside of ones knowledge or a reality based chain of logic to validate one's beliefs. Blacks can't be racist so other sources are cited as proof. It's a validation of oneself.

I could render an opinion on what you do, but that's not my area of expertise. I can say that black protesters are really shiftless vandals. I can say whites in Houston are racist for supporting Zimmerman. I can find agreement in other arguments. I can select the irrelevant, cite a vacuous truth. That however does not enable me to turn that which is false into reality

If what you're saying is that the belief that black people can't be racist is a form of self-delusion, then I agree.

There is another side to this, however. Black people were enslaved for about 235 years, after which they were heavily discriminated against for another 100 years. It's only been about the past 45-50 years since most forms of discrimination were ended. The trouble is that many black people continue to over-generalize about white people being racist, which is itself a form of racism. But these attitudes were passed down through generations of oppression, and continue to be passed down in spite of their decreasing similarity to reality.

But let me ask you this. Forget about blacks in America for now. Let's just take any abstract case. If one groups enslaves another for 235 years and discriminates for another hundred, would you expect the minority group to become fully integrated, upstanding members of the national community - with no trace of animus toward the majority group - overnight?

The black community has been broken in this country for hundreds of years. Maybe 45-50 years of the major cause being diminished isn't enough for it to heal.

I don't really blame white people, certainly not current white people, for the present problems. I actually blame most of it on the black community. But I'm being realistic here. Our ancestors screwed the pooch. You don't conduct yourselves in that manner for that long a period of time and then pretend to be surprised that you now have a "liberated underclass" on your hands, and that this underclass has some animus even though the animus may not be entirely justified any more.

What we have is a serious problem with the black community and the change has to come from within that community. But it isn't an easy problem to solve. There's just too much history to expect rapid assimilation. I'm very torn on the issue, because I'm often angry with the black community and its leaders. For example, focusing so much attention on George Zimmerman when they should be focusing on educating their youth. This community was broken by white racism and now it has to fix itself. While I'm frustrated or even angry that they haven't succeeded, I can also say that unfortunately I'm not all that surprised by it.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013

Right about everything, and explained quite well, except for the first sentence. I think there is such a thing as "reverse racism" when using quotation marks? I mean, surely, right? And I see no reason why it shouldn't continue to be used, as long as it's always used either in reference to the confused, or else ironically (or both, naturally).

If it appears in text books, for example, it should always include the quotes as you have dutifully included here.

You are clearly one of the good guys, woolfe.