Why Pres. Bush & America Should Recognize Gay Pride Month

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No, I'm gay because of this thread. I realized that being a straight, white, middle-class male I have nothing to be proud of. I figured going gay might change that.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Hey Sir fishalot... I'm confused about what's "assanine" about my post?... would you mind explaining?

-Max

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
People used to not agree with being "black"... People are not being forced to accept someTHING... they're being forced to accept people and who they are....

In other news... I have to remind myslef that homophobic people are actually in the minority.. and you guys can moan and complain all you want... Dems are coming to power more than ever before in the next 4 years... and in the end... the majority does get it's way... ideologically speaking... those opposed to recognizing Gay pride month are in the minority... So nyah nyah ;)

I guess this thread is kinda dead now... but I just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed hearing everyone's opinions and reasoning... even if I completely totally and absolutely disagree with you...

-Max

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000

<< those opposed to recognizing Gay pride month are in the minority >>

Oh REALLY???????;), I'm not going to post anything, but with a little searching, I think you'll find yourself mistaken there.....;) Apparently MANY Dems. also back Bush's decsion!;) Wrong again kiddo!;)

Anyone who opposes it is just a homophobe.

If you were ok with it, you would not have any issues with gay pride month going on.

That it fairly obvious.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
hmmmm... I'm lost here...

Ok how does a few dems supporting GWB's decision constitute a majority?

-Max

P.S. Holy crap!... I'm a senior member woohoo:)

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Right on SammySon...

This whole thread reminds me of that scene from Pearl Harbor in the beginning... when Ben Affleck drops that load of BS on Baldwin's head bout his hotshot flying.

If you're against Recognition &quot;holidays&quot; thats one thing... and I respect that... those of you who object to homosexual month is particular... you're homophobes... own up...;)

-Max

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
you know when somebody has hit bottom on their ability to make logical and reasonable arguments when the only thing they can come up with is &quot;you're a homophobe.&quot;

Maybe when you kids get through grade school you can do better.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
First off, I am against recognition months in general. I think they're a load of crap.

Second of all, disapproving of homosexuality != being a &quot;homophobe.&quot;

That's one of their favorite tactics, label anyone who refuses to compromise their beliefs as a &quot;homophobe.&quot;

Well guess what, I don't care.

Call me whatever you want, I cannot and will not approve. Tolerate? Yes, if you keep it out of my face and in the bedroom where it belongs. Approve? Not a chance.

Viper GTS

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
Whatever.....LOL!;) You guys are just plain pathetic!;) If someone doesn't share your views, disagrees with you, suggests you research your own mistakes their a &quot;Homophobe&quot; right???? ROFLMAO!!!:):) You're to much! The mindless drivel a few of you spew is getting boring......you have no means of refuting facts, so your only ploy is to call names and whine about the problems you bring about yourselves..........Again, PATHETIC!!!;)

Here's a new one for ya' then......since you want to play the name game.......turnabout is only fair........you guys calling us straight guys names are now coined &quot;Hetrophobes&quot; and I want you to know I'm going to whine and cry because you're discriminating against us and ask for our own month to celebrate us and our &quot;Straight Pride&quot;!! ;);) ROFLMAO!!!!:):):):)

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
If I decide to accept the moniker of Homophobe, would I be entitled to Homophobe Pride?

:::::: Putting on Judy Garland teary-eyed expression of joy::::::::

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

<< Anyone who opposes it is just a homophobe >>

Well damn, that look like something I'm going to have to live with!

brennan

Oct 11, 1999
Viper:

No, disrespect, but lemme understand this: you're okay with homosexuality as long as you never see it, and gays keep said homosexuality &quot;in the bedroom&quot;. Um, do you not see where that position could be construed as intolerant towards gays despite your protestations to the contrary?

I mean, you probably wouldn't appreciate it very much if you were told that you weren't allowed to hold hands with (or God forbid kiss) your boy/girlfriend in public, get married, or respond honestly to questions like &quot;so, who are you going on vacation with?&quot; In fact, I don't know you, but I'd *guess* that your reaction to someone telling you that would be &quot;fsck you, I can do what I want, I'm happy with who I am, and I won't be shoved in the bedroom.&quot; I imagine you might wonder just what the other person has against straight people. This is not to say that I'm calling you a bigot (I don't know you), but rather, hopefully, to point out that this position is in and of itself discriminatory, or has discriminatory consequences.

But that's exactly what you're asking of gays. If gays were allowed to show public affection without stigma just like straights, get married just like straights, and be frank and open about their lives and partners just like straights, then Gay Pride Month would be irrelevant and unnecessary. Unfortunately, gays can't do any of those things, hence stuff like Gay Pride parades, months, etc. Tolerance is more than &quot;I won't actively hunt you down and kick your ass.&quot;

That said, anytime you call someone names, whether &quot;homophobe&quot; or &quot;liberal,&quot; has pretty much stopped trying. But to be fair, Doboji had a :) after the &quot;own up to being homophobes&quot; comment; he was being facetious, I think, or at least mostly so.

-brennan

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
Unfortunately, gays can't do any of those things

bullshit!!!!

even here in Utah(lol), I see people of the same gender holding hands all over the place

I passed two women holding hands on my mountain biking ride the other day, and stopped and petted their German Shepard, and talked to them as I do every other person on the trail. They never told me about what they do in the bedroom, or that they were even gay. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. I don't think that many people care. Until it turns into a frickin freak parade.

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001
You guys must have some disease that twists everything you read into something different.

Did I say gays should be proud simply because they are gay? NO. Did I say that they are proud to be themselves just like everyone else? Yes. Did I say that the reason they feel they need to say it is because society tells them differently? Yes. There is justification for gays to say they are proud. It's stating a disagreement with society.

Get it? Or do you need further clarification?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just to post my personal experience...

The company I work for hired about a dozen people a couple years ago to do some temporary work. One of the people we hired was a lesbian, and she told a bunch of her friends about us so they came and got jobs here as well. What do you know? They're all lesbians!

They were all pretty cool, I talked to them like I would to anybody. They were simply co-workers to me. I knew they were lesbians, it wasn't a secret. And they didn't shove it in my face, which I thank them for. They didn't walk around the office with big pink triangles on their shirt to proclaim their gayness. But they didn't hide it either. That's how I think it should be handled. I have no problem with their orientation, but you don't need to shout at me about it.

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001

<< even here in Utah(lol), I see people of the same gender holding hands all over the place >>

Really, where are you going? I live in Utah, and I can't ever remember seeing it. I've never done it either.

brennan

Oct 11, 1999
SirFshAlot:

Okay, it happens occasionally, but only *very* occasionally, and I'd guess probably 90% women, because lesbians seem to be tolerated more than gay men. I was trying to address Viper's comments specifically, but in any case, in most of the country, two gay men holding hands and kissing in public is a beatdown waiting to happen.

-brennan

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Gay Pride Month? What makes you think that is worthy of an entire month's worth of recognition? A day perhaps, maybe a week, but a month? Who are you trying to kid? How exactly do you plan to spend an entire month commemorating the very ephemeral topic of &quot;gay pride&quot;?

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001

<< They were all pretty cool, I talked to them like I would to anybody. They were simply co-workers to me. I knew they were lesbians, it wasn't a secret. And they didn't shove it in my face, which I thank them for. They didn't walk around the office with big pink triangles on their shirt to proclaim their gayness. But they didn't hide it either. That's how I think it should be handled. I have no problem with their orientation, but you don't need to shout at me about it. >>

I completely agree with you on this one. I am the same at work.

What I don't agree with is my partner's situation. He could quite possibly be fired for being gay. It's quite annoying and insulting that I have to avoid answering the phone so that his coworkers won't start putting 2 and 2 together. I can't even escape it at home.

Edit: clarification

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001

<< Gay Pride Month? What makes you think that is worthy of an entire month's worth of recognition? A day perhaps, maybe a week, but a month? Who are you trying to kid? How exactly do you plan to spend an entire month commemorating the very ephemeral topic of &quot;gay pride&quot;? >>

Why do you care how long it is? From your behavior, it's obvious you wouldn't give it an open minded glimpse for long anyway? It's not like the government is forcing people to go to parades and events. Geeze, get over it.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
in most of the country, two gay men holding hands and kissing in public is a beatdown waiting to happen.

I haven't seen it often, but I've seen it. Two guys intertwined with each other on the bus. Whispering in each other's ears.

Did I like it? Hell no.

Did I do anything? Of course not.

Viper GTS