Why Pres. Bush & America Should Recognize Gay Pride Month

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
NateSLC,

Did I say gays should be proud simply because they are gay? NO. Did I say that they are proud to be themselves just like everyone else? Yes

so, then, why isn't it a Be themselves just like everyone else Pride Month, instead of Gay Pride Month?

If it's to be Gay Pride, than we need something that explains the uhh, errr, Gay, err, uhh, pride.

Really, where are you going? I live in Utah, and I can't ever remember seeing it. I've never done it either

come out of the closet, and open your eyes

I see it everywhere. On the Bonneville shoreline trail. At the parks. At the National Parks(take a pick). On the streets.
I don't go to any gay bars, so I don't know about there, though.

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001

<< If I decide to accept the moniker of Homophobe, would I be entitled to Homophobe Pride? >>

If you think hate is something to be proud of, go ahead.

You do get points for this one though:

<< :::::: Putting on Judy Garland teary-eyed expression of joy:::::::: >>

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

<< Why do you care how long it is? >>

You're right, actually i don't. But your non-answer to the question makes the truth pretty clear. You don't have a reason for it to be a month, have no events which will require an entire months' time, but just like the sound of &quot;Gay Pride Month.&quot;

Why do we have Arbor Day rather than Arbor Month? Why not Groundhog Fortnight? Makes as much sense as an entire month devoted to Gay Pride...

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001

<< so, then, why isn't it a Be themselves just like everyone else Pride Month, instead of Gay Pride Month? >>

I refuse to answer this question again. If you can't understand after reading a thread of 380 or so posts, your hopeless.

<< come out of the closet, and open your eyes >>

I did that when I was 18. And I'm completely serious about not seeing gay public affection. I highly doubt that it's as rampant as you claim. However, if you are serious, I must be going to the wrong places. Tell you what, you give me a list of places you visit, and I'll give you a list of places I visit. Then we'll both be happy.

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
NateSLC

If you think hate is something to be proud of, go ahead.

boy, oh boy, Nate(in SLC), you sure came up for a good definition of Homophobe Pride in a jiffy

why can't you come up with a decent one for Gay Pride?

Maybe I should just take the UTA down there and kick your fairy ass around the block a few times til you do.:)

on a side note, did you hear about the guy that got killed on the bus down there last night?
that was my daughter's grandpa
strange deal

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001

<< You're right, actually i don't. But your non-answer to the question makes the truth pretty clear. You don't have a reason for it to be a month, have no events which will require an entire months' time, but just like the sound of &quot;Gay Pride Month.&quot; >>

Well, planning events for the whole gay community is quite a job isn't it? I'm sorry that I don't have any quick answers for you regarding the event schedule across the country. I have applied for that job but I hear it's work work work.

Don't be a jerk.

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
If you can't understand after reading a thread of 380 or so posts, your hopeless.

oh, it's me

I thought it was the vague, eluding nature of all those who have been questioned numerous times on it.

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001

<< why can't you come up with a decent one for Gay Pride? >>

I have explained it well, but you don't listen.

<< Maybe I should just take the UTA down there and kick your fairy ass around the block a few times til you do. >>

I don't think that's funny in the least. But the gay smily on the end saved your ass.

<< on a side note, did you hear about the guy that got killed on the bus down there last night? >>

Yes, I did. I am very sorry to hear that. I hope your daughter is doing OK. She will be in my prayers.

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
I have explained it well, but you don't listen.

ok, would you suffer me this.....
copy and paste the parts you consider the meat of your explanation in a fresh post

I have read the entire thread, and somehow a good explanation has apparently passed me by.

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001

<< That's my question to the gay movement, &quot;Why do you need it?&quot; >>

This question can be answered by reading the first post in this thread. What is up with some people?

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001

<< I think this is just a ploy for NateSLC to be ranked as a senior member. I thought I saw Nate at a bar last saturday. He had a cute blonde in each arm... Hot women and a senior status in AT Forums... >>

I was a senior member before I posted in this thread, but what's next? Big Member?

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000

<< I thought it was the vague, eluding nature of all those who have been questioned numerous times on it. >>

Bingo! You're correct! They have no difinitive answer! Why? Because there is none! Why can't you just go about your business like everyone one else??? I don't give a rats ass about you people and sure as hell wouldn't go out of my way to cut you down or belittle you.........It's when you start yapping about how you deserve this and that because you choose to live an abnormal lifestyle and won't shut up........now that pisses me off! BUT......no more than it does when the religious fanatics, or other groups try to force their views on me! I react the same toward them as I do toward the Gays.......only difference is, when you say the same things to a group of Gays, you're discriminating against them.......The religious fanatics will either shut up or argue with you.......so will most of the others.......but the Gays will start calling names and making accusations! WHY???? What makes you think you deserve &quot;special treatment&quot;??????? At least the anti-gun, anti-hunting people and so on have a cause........all you have is an abnormal sex life!;) WTF makes you special?????? I really want to know! Why do you think your better than everyone else?????

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001
SirFshAlot:

How about:

<< Did I say gays should be proud simply because they are gay? NO. Did I say that they are proud to be themselves just like everyone else? Yes. Did I say that the reason they feel they need to say it is because society tells them differently? Yes. There is justification for gays to say they are proud. It's stating a disagreement with society. >>

This is what I mean by society telling me different:

<< What I don't agree with is my partner's situation. He could quite possibly be fired for being gay. It's quite annoying and insulting that I have to avoid answering the phone so that his coworkers won't start putting 2 and 2 together. I can't even escape it at home. >>

Do you have any idea how insulting it is to be required to avoid half of the people your partner is in contact with? I'm insulted every time I worry for him when I pick up the phone or answer the door. I'm insulted when I feel uncomfortable asking a stranger to take our picture on vacation. I could go on. It affects almost everything. So, every once and awhile, I feel a great need to tell everyone out there to F off, I'm sick of it, and yes, as a matter of fact, I deserve to be proud of who I am.

So, what else do I need to explain to you?

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001

<< The religious fanatics will either shut up or argue with you.......so will most of the others.......but the Gays will start calling names and making accusations! >>

Maybe there's a reason for that that has eluded you. Maybe you should read the first post again, and this time, just for fun, try to see the issues as a person who cannot and will not change who they are.

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000

<< a person who cannot and will not change who they are. >>

Oh, so instead of accepting whom and what you are, you feel the need to lash out and anyone whom questions or remarks of your abnormalities right? Is it their fault you are different?

Let me tell you a little story about a person who cannot and will not change who they are. ............Several years back this guy had his whole life planned out and on target......he was in the same business his Father and his Father before him were in and damned happy with his life!............Then one day a scaffold board breaks and the guy falls 27' and basicly breaks himself into pieces particularly in regards to his back. He's in the hospital a long time and during the next several years endures several surgeries to repair as good as possible. Well, the Doctors finally tell him they've done all they can for now, and he should proceed with his lawyer to get disability benefits and hope for the best because there's no way he can work again! Fast forward 3 more years........guess what, instead of crying and whining because he's disabled and NOT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, does he beg for Government help and plead for acceptance for his shortcomings????? Hell no! He goes to school and starts from scratch and opens his own business.......he says the heck with everyone whom thought he was worthless and done for including the Gov. disability money! Did he cry for a month because he was so proud? Hell no, he just lives each day to the best of his ability!

Guess what............That someone was/is ME!!!!!:):):)

So the next time you're feeling sorry for yourself because people don't like you or your different.............think about just how damned lucky you really are!;)

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001

<< Oh, so instead of accepting whom and what you are, you feel the need to lash out and anyone whom questions or remarks of your abnormalities right? Is it their fault you are different? >>

I am not blaming you for who I am, but you talk about me as if you know me better than I know myself. I am who I am. I have dealt with this ever since I was 11, and so I've had plenty of time to think about being gay/trying to not be gay/and dealing with other people about being gay. I know the feelings are not a choice, and I choose to accept them and be happy.

<< Let me tell you a little story about a person who cannot and will not change who they are. ............Several years back this guy had his whole life planned out and on target......he was in the same business his Father and his Father before him were in and damned happy with his life!............Then one day a scaffold board breaks and the guy falls 27' and basicly breaks himself into pieces particularly in regards to his back. He's in the hospital a long time and during the next several years endures several surgeries to repair as good as possible. Well, the Doctors finally tell him they've done all they can for now, and he should proceed with his lawyer to get disability benefits and hope for the best because there's no way he can work again! Fast forward 3 more years........guess what, instead of crying and whining because he's disabled and NOT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, does he beg for Government help and plead for acceptance for his shortcomings????? Hell no! He goes to school and starts from scratch and opens his own business.......he says the heck with everyone whom thought he was worthless and done for including the Gov. disability money! Did he cry for a month because he was so proud? Hell no, he just lives each day to the best of his ability! >>

Although this is a courageous story and I applaud you for your personal accomplishments, it does not relate to society's treatment of gay people. If you want personal stories of courage and tragedy I will share one of mine. I was constantly beaten by a stepmother. Bruises, blood, the whole nine yards. It was a daily occurence for 3 years and my father never did a thing about it. Fast forward to now. I hold no grudges, I will not divide the family. I call her on mother's day, invite her over for dinner, and kiss her goodbye. I do similar things for my father, even though he's still a mess on drugs. I provide him with a truck and auto insurance when he can't pay for it. I did everything in my life from scratch including from when I was a child. I lay blame on no one for what has happened in my life, but that does not mean I need to sit down and take it. Something needs to change in this country and I will speak about it.

I do not whine as you suggest.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

<< Well, planning events for the whole gay community is quite a job isn't it? I'm sorry that I don't have any quick answers for you regarding the event schedule across the country. I have applied for that job but I hear it's work work work.

Don't be a jerk.
>>

I'm being a jerk because i asked a completely reasonable question? With perhaps the sole exception of Black History Month (which is a very broad topic matter, not a recognition of a particular group or subculture, with enough stories to fill an entire month and then some), most remembrance events have historically been short in duration. Secretaries, veterans, historical figures, even Mothers all get a day of recognition, not a month. If acknowledgement by the President seems to be your main beef, i daresay for political reasons, that a Gay Pride Day or Week would be an easier sell than a month. Or is stating that following historical norms for recognition events would likely lead to better results 'being a jerk'?

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
Forget it Glenn..........this is like talking to a brick wall!;) Him and his buddies are right and the rest of the world is wrong........;) LOL!:)

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
here i am.
a little late. but here nonetheless.

this is my opinon.

the pres should recognize it, by not he is showing the american public that he doesnt accept the homosexual community. its not about being flamboyantly gay for a month, its about educating the public, that DOES NEED TO BE EDUCATED that homosexuality is okay, that it is okay to come out of the closet. its about the public telling people that its okay if they are gay and that they accept them. its about the gay community being proud of being gay instead of being ashamed or afraid.

*kat. <-- her $0.02

Aihyah

Banned
Apr 21, 2000
amazing that one can overcome such hardship and still be such a close minded jackass:p

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
amazing Aihyah can be Gay and still be such a close minded jackass

I HAD to agree with this PM!;););) ROFLMAO!!!!:):):)

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
ToBeMe...

I think it's more like a bunch of brick walls talking to each other... noone has made any concessions or attempts to understand the other side...

-Max

Aihyah

Banned
Apr 21, 2000
i'm amazed you can roll on the floor laughing with that back of yours.. must be fun considering how much you seem to be doing it.

i'm not gay... and i don't see how saying that i am is funny.

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
Whatever Aihyah.........I forgot.......things are only funny when you say they are right????? LOL!

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
I knew it was only a matter of time before somebody gets into a personal silli battle... and the mods end up locking the site... why don't you two chill out so we can continue to enjoy this debate thus far... k?

-Max