Why no info on Intel's next microarchitecture?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ksec

Mar 5, 2010
If you count IPC there will always be some slight variance. But the main difference is really architecture or Node.

Skylake = architecture
Kaby Lake = Node Improvement ( 14nm + )
Cannonlake = New Node ( 10nm )
Icelake = architecture

So Intel moved from Tick, Tock ( architecture . new node ) to what is now called Process, Architecture, Optimization.
What was 24 months work is now 36 months. We basically get a 50% slower cycle, and those Architecture no longer give us 10-20% IPC improvement, which makes the whole thing feels A LOT slower.

Now this would have all make sense, IF intel did not decide to add a new Coffelake in between Kaby Lake and Cannonlake.

SAAA

May 14, 2014
Now this would have all make sense, IF intel did not decide to add a new Coffelake in between Kaby Lake and Cannonlake.

Rather than decide I'm pretty sure they were forced to go 14nm+ for six cores, I wouldn't trust 10nm yields yet. ;)

Also if Coffelake does bring the same architecture of Cannonlake it's not a big deal in the end for us users: we have our higher IPC and power efficiency.
Actually it's best this way thinking about it because we know how 14nm clocks and what performance to expect, reaching the same 4.2GHz base on a six-core Coffelake vs quad Kabylake it's just a question of increasing TDP if they allow that, the node will be more than mature enough by then.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i got an interesting whatsapp message today:
CFL-62 design "tape-in" last week (a term i'm not familiar with, i know of "tape-out", but not "tape-in"), first desktop cpu with 6 cores, uses KBL architecture. product due 2018.

Mar 10, 2006
i got an interesting whatsapp message today:
CFL-62 design "tape-in" last week (a term i'm not familiar with, i know of "tape-out", but not "tape-in"), first desktop cpu with 6 cores, uses KBL architecture. product due 2018.

Unfortunate if Intel is reusing the same old Skylake architecture that's been with us since August 2015 for a product that will likely last until January 2019...or beyond. Icelake had better be a game-changer.

The good news is that we will get more cores and a yet-again enhanced 14nm process technology.

Reactions: willfr

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
Unfortunate if Intel is reusing the same old Skylake architecture that's been with us since August 2015 for a product that will likely last until January 2019...or beyond. Icelake had better be a game-changer.
Nowhere does that post say 2019. Coffee lake is 2017 product, AFAIK. And DCG doesn't need incrementally better architectures anyway. 5% more or less won't make a difference.

Mar 10, 2006
Nowhere does that post say 2019. Coffee lake is 2017 product, AFAIK. And DCG doesn't need incrementally better architectures anyway. 5% more or less won't make a difference.

Coffee Lake is 2018. Ice is probably 2019 in that case.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
In case the CPU cores are really based on KBL, I hope there is at least a change in GPU architecture going from Gen9 to Gen10. I wouldn't bet on it given that for Atom Gemini Lake is still based on Gen9 which is a hint that Intel is going for another Gen9 recycling for +1 year.

On another note it pretty much confirms that CFL will be compatible with LGA 1151, but this was expected from me even with CNL cores.

Mar 10, 2006
On another note it pretty much confirms that CFL will be compatible with LGA 1151, but this was expected from me even with CNL cores.

Have to agree with you here, if it's just more SKL then I can't imagine that they'd change sockets. Good news for Z2xx board buyers, and hopefully the mobo makers will add support for Z170 boards, too...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Whoa, does this mean that we're going to see six-core CPUs compatible with mainstream 1151 sockets?

willfr

Apr 27, 2016
http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/11/30/details-of-intel-corps-2018-ice-lake-processor-eme.aspx

So here's what we think so far
- FIVR
- new graphics architecture too, and it might even be by AMD! (I'm not making this up, search in google news)

And this one is just me guessing based off the news this week that Microsoft is making full Windows 10 work on ARM (apparently we're gonna start seeing LTE Windows machines) and when you consider how much Intel is putting into cellular (iPhone, 5G) I think ice lake will have Intel cellular on board. I would be very surprised if it didn't after the Windows on ARM bombshell this week.
I personally would love an LTE Surface Pro, I hate having the stupid ugly antenna sticking out of the USB port. And I always have to take it out when i put it in my bag so it doesn't break off

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
- new graphics architecture too, and it might even be by AMD! (I'm not making this up, search in google news)

It won't, it will be Intel based of course. Gen10 or Gen11, I guess Gen11. CNL gets Gen10 and because Icelake is a CPU tock it makes Gen11 more likely. There are Gen11 entries in current gfx driver already.

Reactions: witeken
Mar 10, 2006
It won't, it will be Intel based of course. Gen10 or Gen11, I guess Gen11. CNL gets Gen10 and because Icelake is a CPU tock it makes Gen11 more likely. There are Gen11 entries in current gfx driver already.

Cannon Lake is Gen10, Ice Lake is Gen11, this is confirmed in Intel employees' LinkedIn profiles.

Reactions: CHADBOGA