Why make fun of the Raelians?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: BlipBlop
As far as I recall, the evolutionary ladder has a gap for the great jump from apes to the fullblown critical thinking and self-awareness of man.

If my "apes" you mean non human apes... of course there are gaps in fossils. That's the way it is. The chance of a creature being fossilized is VERY small.
By the way, chimpanzees and gorillas are self aware.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Because it's socially acceptable, and I'm not going to run into any Raelians (probably). If I didn't think I'd piss off a whole bunch of people I know, I would openly mock Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
the thing that gets me is that "aliens" always look like humans. Dont you think a true alien will look nothing like a evolved human because it was not created in the exact same atmosphere and location?

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
the thing that gets me is that "aliens" always look like humans. Dont you think a true alien will look nothing like a evolved human because it was not created in the exact same atmosphere and location?

But what if our living conditions are the only ones that will result in life? Would it not be more likely for life on another planet to evolve very similarly to our own?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: silverpig

But what if our living conditions are the only ones that will result in life? Would it not be more likely for life on another planet to evolve very similarly to our own?

who is to say that our living conditions are the only ones to produce life?

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Why? and Christian websites speak about a beareded man who they can't prove existed. And about how Earth was created in 6 days. That's more reasonable somehow?

Yes you goober.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001

As of now, they are all we know of that will sustain life.

Basically, we KNOW that our conditions will support life. We can't say that about anything else.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000

As of now, they are all we know of that will sustain life.

Basically, we KNOW that our conditions will support life. We can't say that about anything else.

But even living things that live in the same conditions here on earth have evolved into vastly different forms. Look at the oceans. On a coral reef there might be a couple dozen species within just one square meter that have all developed to live in the same conditions. It's quite possible that another world with life might have averted an extinction event that ours fell victim to. The premier species on such a world might be vastly different from us, even though the conditions on such a world might be very similar to ours.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Or they might be exactly like us, except with prosthetic latex foreheads, and speak English with the vocabulary and syntax of late twentieth-century eastern America;)

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: 911paramedic
Be afraid...

WHAT HAPPENED?
On the 13th of December 1973, French journalist Rael was contacted by a visitor from an other planet, and asked to establish an Embassy to welcome these people back to Earth.

The extra-terrestrial was about four feet in height, had long dark hair, almond shaped eyes, olive skin and exuded harmony and humour. He told Rael that "we were the ones who made all life on earth, you mistook us for gods, we were at the origin of your main religions. Now that you are mature enough to understand this, we would like to enter official contact through an embassy".

That's almost as funny as the ideas of Earth being the center of the universe, that God created Earth in 7 days, that you can be the biggest A-hole there is but still be saved if you just "believe", that Jesus walked on water, that Jesus was resurrected from the dead etc. etc.

Oct 9, 1999
One thing.. if your goign to make fun of some religion based on its "background" history.. why not pick on scientology.. they have a similar "background".

I am not condeming things.. but the point is that Scientology or Raelians as logn as they are doing good for human mankind without greed.. as a proper religion should.. i am fine with it.. as long as they dont push to get ppl into the religion I am fine with it..

but so far I dislike scientology because of the above facts..

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: The_good_guy
One thing.. if your goign to make fun of some religion based on its "background" history.. why not pick on scientology.. they have a similar "background".

Only difference is that Scientology is not a religion. They are a bunch of scheming and plotting criminals who make the Mafia look like boyscouts. Yeah I know that they are pretending to be a religion, but that does not change who they really are.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Nemesis77
Be afraid...

WHAT HAPPENED?
On the 13th of December 1973, French journalist Rael was contacted by a visitor from an other planet, and asked to establish an Embassy to welcome these people back to Earth.

The extra-terrestrial was about four feet in height, had long dark hair, almond shaped eyes, olive skin and exuded harmony and humour. He told Rael that "we were the ones who made all life on earth, you mistook us for gods, we were at the origin of your main religions. Now that you are mature enough to understand this, we would like to enter official contact through an embassy".

That's almost as funny as the ideas of Earth being the center of the universe, that God created Earth in 7 days, that you can be the biggest A-hole there is but still be saved if you just "believe", that Jesus walked on water, that Jesus was resurrected from the dead etc. etc.

First off, the bible does not say that the Earth is in the center of the universe. Also, many Christians do not believe the Earth was created in seven twenty-four hour periods. The way the bible was written, a day can mean a twelve hour period, a twenty-four hour period, or a indefinite period of time, eg. a thousand years. Also, a big A-hole could say he believes but he doesn't truely believe it in his heart or else he wouldn't act like that.

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: rockyct
Originally posted by: Nemesis77
Be afraid...

WHAT HAPPENED?

Actually, many Christians do not believe the Earth was created in seven twenty-four hour periods. The way the bible was written, a day can mean a twelve hour period, a twenty-four hour period, or a indefinite period of time, eg. a thousand years.

Some christians do believe that Earth was created in seven days. Others just dismiss that part in the Bible by saying "Oh, that's one of those things you are not supposed to take literally".

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: ArmenK
On October 7,1975, he was physically contacted again by the Elohim. They took him to their planet, where he was given yet another message .

Bwaaahahahahaha...

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" She said to him, "Yes, Lord, I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one coming into the world."

John 11:25-27

Bwaaahahahahaha...

right on the money :) its funny how ppl dismiss the raelians, scientologists and what not, but every other religion gets serious consideration

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
"...over 55,000 members in 84 countries..."

:Q:Q:Q:Q

I really hope that's an exaggeration...

Pr0Hawk

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
THEY ARE FSCKED UP, therefore we make fun of them. Have you seen the interview where one of the Raelians was wearing that outfit? BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Pr0Hawk
THEY ARE FSCKED UP, therefore we make fun of them. Have you seen the interview where one of the Raelians was wearing that outfit? BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

compudog

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Sorry man, but ANY religion that believes that all human beings came from a bunch of French-speaking space aliens seems pretty f-ed up to me!

Yeah!