Why is there so much hate for guns?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 16, 2005
Because many people are idiots and cowards and are very ignorant. Most gun control advocates have no knowledge of guns yet seek to impose their will on everyone else.

If I dont like a gun I wont buy one but if a liberal doesn't like guns they want to ban guns.

I'm not gay so I won't marry another man, but if a conservative doesn't like gays, they want to ban gay marriage?

Does that sound about right per your logic

Apr 27, 2012
I'm not gay so I won't marry another man, but if a conservative doesn't like gays, they want to ban gay marriage?

Does that sound about right per your logic

Social "conservatives" want to ban gay marriage. Stop judging a group based on a minority. You wouldn't do it to minorities but it's alright here?

Conservatives/Libertarians dont want to ban gay marriage and dont have the authority.

You know maybe if we followed the Constitution then we wouldn't have these problems. There was a guy running for president who could fix this issue. His name was Ron Paul but the morons on here and the rest of the country attacked him. Bunch of pieces of shit.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
The focus is on guns because they're an easy target. It gives people the warm and fuzzies inside thinking that they're doing something to "fix the problem".

The REAL problem - figuring out WHY people want to commit these crimes - is not an easy fix at all. It's hard to identify and fix crazy.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Most gun haters I've known personally have done so out of ignorance. They honestly have no clue how guns really work. Why a person might need to own a variety of firearms, etc, etc. They have just heard fear mongering from the liberal media. Ignorance breeds fear. Most of them had considerably softened views once they learned a few things about guns. I just wish the media would bother to take 5 minutes to research them before writing about them.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
The media hates guns, normal people not so much.

Facebook consists of people who are anti-gun just reposting stuff they saw on TV vs people who adamantly believe in gun rights.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Why is the media focusing on the tool rather then the people who commit the crime?

Because the majority of gun violence is committed in the inner cities, by the poor, the progressives pet projects. Inanimate objects, the tool, are a much better scapegoat than the result of their failed social experiment.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Because guns are not tools, they are weapons. Their use, purpose, reason for existing is to be a weapon. Other things that can be used as weapons have a non-violent purpose behind them. Knives, hammers, axes, cars all are tools with a purpose that can also if used improperly kill a person. Guns proper use is to kill something.

Really? Then I guess target shooters are doing it wrong..................

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Because the majority of gun violence is committed in the inner cities, by the poor, the progressives pet projects. Inanimate objects, the tool, are a much better scapegoat than the result of their failed social experiment.

You bring up a very good point.

If inner city poverty, drugs and gun violence all go hand in hand, shouldn't society be looking at the factors that drive inner city poverty?

I wonder if any liberal sites have charted unemployment rates next to gun violence rates?

We know long term unemployment contributes to family violence.

Is there some kind of driving factor in mass shootings.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Mental Illness.

What is causing the mental illness? And especially in young males.

Why aren't women prone to mass shootings?

There was a study done several years ago with monkeys. If the baby monkey was isolated and denied contact with other monkeys, then reintroduced to the group when it was older, the monkey that was isolated displayed behavioral problems, including aggression.

Maybe its a lack of socialization?

Maybe women do not go on mass shootings because they are more likely to socialize with others, as compared to men.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This reminds me of the old liberal arguments that until you got to the root causes of crime like poverty and inequality, there was nothing that could be done to reduce it.

I think Guiliani proved them wrong.

This is really so true and the only answer there is. We need to massively increase the number of people we have in prison to maybe 47% or so and sterilize them.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
IDK...

Maybe it's dudes with little dicks that feel the need to carry one 24/7?

Or maybe it could be jim bob that was fine yesterday isn't all there today and goes off on a shooting rampage? Or how about your house get's robbed and Bob forgot to lock up his stash now you got a bunch of kids with bobs guns giving them away to other kids... Joy!!!!!

Too many dumb motherfuckers that have guns. Too many irresponsible people out there... My favorite tho is when garndpa get's wasted (drunk) and want's to go out and clean the loaded shotgun ...Whoops! Forgot about that round in the chamber tell Jill I'll see her in heaven!

Of course I'm not talking about all you on here that own guns!!! so relax! Don't get your panties in a knot.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Cigarette taxes and the limited access to psychiatric care probably play a big role in the increase in violent crime. Both cigarettes and psychiatric drugs treat depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders. Crazy people are getting squeezed on both ends and can't get medicated, so they go crazier and shoot up schools.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Maybe its because reporters are no longer willing to do actual research? And those that are willing to do it are working for liberal news organizations?

One of the common trend I see in mass shooting is the shooter felt cheated, or bullied. Sandy hook, virginia tech and columbine shooting were done by angry, young, men.

If we want to improve society as a whole, shouldn't we be looking at the situations that drove the shooter to do what they did?

Last I saw, Sandy Hook is being discussed by the media from all angles: guns, video games, mental health, school security, parenting behavior, etc. It isn't an exclusive focus on guns and gun control. Yet that discussion is inevitable because there is now gun control legislation being advanced in Congress.

The fact about guns is, they are a much more efficient way to kill lots of people than other options. Just look at the death tolls from wars which occurred during the middle ages and compare to WWI, WWII and other modern wars.

Yes, there are people who have to pull the trigger but we can't pretend that guns aren't a danger because of the high lethality potential compared to other weapons. I'm relatively pro-gun rights, don't support an assault weapons ban, etc. but I think it's an oversimplification to say it's all about the perp and never about the weapon.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
IDK...

Maybe it's dudes with little dicks that feel the need to carry one 24/7?

Or maybe it could be jim bob that was fine yesterday isn't all there today and goes off on a shooting rampage? Or how about your house get's robbed and Bob forgot to lock up his stash now you got a bunch of kids with bobs guns giving them away to other kids... Joy!!!!!

Too many dumb motherfuckers that have guns. Too many irresponsible people out there... My favorite tho is when garndpa get's wasted (drunk) and want's to go out and clean the loaded shotgun ...Whoops! Forgot about that round in the chamber tell Jill I'll see her in heaven!

Of course I'm not talking about all you on here that own guns!!! so relax! Don't get your panties in a knot.

I've never successfully dickslapped an armed robber into submission. Let me know how it goes with that big ol' dick of yours.

Or perhaps you mean if the robber is gay/bi and a bottom, you unzip and show him he'll have a better time with that big dick of yours as opposed to stealing from you at gunpoint. Hopefully one of you is carrying lube and some wet wipes in case he went #2 earlier that day and you have to rim him to lube him up.

Feb 16, 2005
Social "conservatives" want to ban gay marriage. Stop judging a group based on a minority. You wouldn't do it to minorities but it's alright here?

Conservatives/Libertarians dont want to ban gay marriage and dont have the authority.

You know maybe if we followed the Constitution then we wouldn't have these problems. There was a guy running for president who could fix this issue. His name was Ron Paul but the morons on here and the rest of the country attacked him. Bunch of pieces of shit.

OK. So you're not hypocritical at all. Got it. Nothing to see here, move along :rolleyes:

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
There is no hate for guns. This is a non-partisan issue as the government found out when they started talking about gun control. Still, they spread their lies through their government sponsored propaganda centers, i.e. CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc. with the express intent to influence popular opinion in favor of their agenda. They spread false statistical data and keep hammering in the "tragedies" such as Newtown and Aurora while never mentioning the people that save lives everyday with their legally owned guns.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Last I saw, Sandy Hook is being discussed by the media from all angles: guns, video games, mental health, school security, parenting behavior, etc. It isn't an exclusive focus on guns and gun control. Yet that discussion is inevitable because there is now gun control legislation being advanced in Congress.

The fact about guns is, they are a much more efficient way to kill lots of people than other options. Just look at the death tolls from wars which occurred during the middle ages and compare to WWI, WWII and other modern wars.

Yes, there are people who have to pull the trigger but we can't pretend that guns aren't a danger because of the high lethality potential compared to other weapons. I'm relatively pro-gun rights, don't support an assault weapons ban, etc. but I think it's an oversimplification to say it's all about the perp and never about the weapon.

Heretic!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There is no hate for guns. This is a non-partisan issue as the government found out when they started talking about gun control. Still, they spread their lies through their government sponsored propaganda centers, i.e. CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc. with the express intent to influence popular opinion in favor of their agenda. They spread false statistical data and keep hammering in the "tragedies" such as Newtown and Aurora while never mentioning the people that save lives everyday with their legally owned guns.

Clearly they are opposed to saving lives because they never even mention all the ones saved without using guns. It's there agenda and self evident. Isn't this also what you could be saying with the line of reasoning that you took?

Last edited:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
The inverse question:

Why is there so much love for guns?

Its a tool for independence and self-reliance.

Ever had something raid your chicken coop? I have. And I took care of it with a 12 gauge shotgun.

Ever been in a natural disaster and the local sheriff was on the radio telling people not to call 911? Basically, you are on your own, and that is what the sheriff told the people listening on battery powered radios; the main power grid was down in a 100 mile radius.