Why is the right wing media on cue sh1tting on Simone Biles?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Like a starved pack of dogs in a pit and someone threw in a pork chop. It's as if they've been waiting for something like this to pounce. I could understand if she has a history of being a bad person and a horrible influence on the country however she has been anything but.

My theory. Laura Ingraham said it best when LeBron James spoke up for BLM and against police misconduct. She told him to "just shut up and dribble" I think it's the attitude that successful black people are just there for the amusement of the country and speaking out when you have a public forum is uppity. "How dare she do anything for the USA besides jump, spin twist and smile". "You don't get to speak out, that's a privilege reserved for the majority". The same majority that has ruled this country since it's inception.

We allow you to shuck and jive (mataphor) for us and make money but that's all you get to do or we will slap you down. Having an opinion is fine but this is too timely, too coordinated, too uniform coming from the same group of people. Did they have a meeting in advance to plan this? That's not how it works. A few of them put the idea in the blogosphere, the rest of them see it and say to themselves, "we get to demean a successful black person and make our white base feel good about themselves.

Right-Wing Media Launches Unhinged Attack on Simone Biles (thedailybeast.com)

Of course Aunt Thomasina the worst self loathing black woman in the country must also pile on
Candace Owens Throws Shade At Simone Biles For Withdrawing From Olympics (yahoo.com)

I would love to hear other theories.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Because the people that was made of shit yesterday is also made of shit today. Guess what they will be made of tomorrow. I am glad to hear that Owens is not getting the shot. Dear Santa…..

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I agree, it's more shut up and dribble.
I saw a Facebook post shared by one of my cousins (...oof, family) about how she should have pushed through, Kerry strug vaulted while injured, blah blah.

Biles is the GOAT. Unquestionably. She has literally done things no other gymnast can do or is willing to attempt. She has raised the bar in the sport. She does not have to sacrifice herself for the glory of the country, whatever the that means anyway.
"And what is the glory of Rome?" -Marcus Aurelius (gladiator)

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Gee, I can't imagine why they are irrationally upset at a black female athlete. So out of character...

My daughter is in gymnastics, and Biles was 100% correct to pull herself out if she's not dialed in. It's an insanely dangerous and difficult sport, and it helps no one for her to stay out, choke on a technique, and severely injure herself, and get a bad score which puts her team in a hole.

US has depth, let the next woman up onto the floor to go win it.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
To anyone who hasn't seen Michael Phelps' documentary "The Weight of Gold," I highly recommend it.

As for the RWNJ outrage machine, they're just on tilt that someone they consider to be their social inferior chose not to enter the gladiator arena for their entertainment. In their opinion, such a thing should not be permitted.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I agree, it's more shut up and dribble.
I saw a Facebook post shared by one of my cousins (...oof, family) about how she should have pushed through, Kerry strug vaulted while injured, blah blah.

Biles is the GOAT. Unquestionably. She has literally done things no other gymnast can do or is willing to attempt. She has raised the bar in the sport. She does not have to sacrifice herself for the glory of the country, whatever the that means anyway.
"And what is the glory of Rome?" -Marcus Aurelius (gladiator)
Haha, the other day I saw 15 seconds of a radio/podcast host piling it on how she was a weak person etc..
Weak?
Weak?
Are you shitting me?
Weak?
Bitches have no idea.
She would out discipline and outwork every single critic she has by a factor of 10. At least. Morons.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Haha, the other day I saw 15 seconds of a radio/podcast host piling it on how she was a weak person etc..
Weak?
Weak?
Are you shitting me?
Weak?
Bitches have no idea.
She would out discipline and outwork every single critic she has by a factor of 10. At least. Morons.
Reminds me of a college basketball game I attended where a heckler was yelling at one of the players on the court because said player looked tired.
The heckler was probably 300+ pounds and would have had a heart attack if he had to sprint up and down the court for more than a few seconds.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Here’s a decision tree/flowchart that will help explain this situation

Gymnastics at this level is very dangerous. Biles also had a tremendous, frankly almost unrealistic, set of expectations placed on her lone self coming into the competition. Simone is 24 years old and, for a gymnast that's , as some consider "past her prime". She may be suffering mental burnout as well. I think she wanted to squeeze in one last Olympic competition before she retires, but it’s looking like that may have been a mistake. She's got more courage than any out of shape windbag RWNJ passing judgement. The US Women's gymnastic team qualified for the 2020 Olympics by winning the 2018 World Championship. At that event, Biles led the team to a gold medal, won three individual golds, and had a skill named after her added to the code of points despite fighting through kidney stone pain to compete. If she says she’s not good to go. That's it - end of story.

Women's gymnastics has had some real criminals and weirdo's running the show over the years. I remember it came out that Kerri Strug was made to do her vault in spite of having a badly injured ankle and not actually needing to do it in order for the USA to win and wound up in the hospital afterwards. Bela Karyoli told her she had to do it. The more that came out about the Karyolis and their isolated cultlike ranch the more creeped out you got.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Wow, I guess I'm a real loser. I retired a year and half early because I was tired of waking up at 3:30 am on a regular basis because my engineering department for about the 3rd time was setting up my mission support for failure, and I was sick of it!

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
80% racism, 10% sexism, 10% being jealous of someone who is much better at their craft than they are.

Had to adjust my math a little there.
My take is 80% sexism and 20% racism. I don’t think jealousy factors because folks dumping on her don’t see anyone who doesn’t look like them as being worthy of a comparison.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Because she's black and she's not "following the rules", which is dog-whistle for "uppity negro".
The republican party assumes (correctly) their rabid brainwashed user base is always against the uppity negro so, without even checking with their constituents, they immediately attack black Americans for pretty much anything they do.

See Also: Trayvon Martin.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Because she's black and she's not "following the rules", which is dog-whistle for "uppity negro".
The republican party assumes (correctly) their rabid brainwashed user base is always against the uppity negro so, without even checking with their constituents, they immediately attack black Americans for pretty much anything they do.

See Also: Trayvon Martin.
Or it could be that a lot of people don't like quitters. Grim determination goes a long way in building respect.
Personally, I don't care. She had a bad day, decided she couldn't cut it, and quit. That's her right, it's her decision to make. I have to assume she considered the effort and cost of making it to the Olympics, and decided quitting was the best answer.

It's a sad that she'll always be remembered as the one that gave up. That decision, right or wrong, is the difference between being remembered as a hero, or a zero.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
a lot of people think they dont like quitters but this goes way beyond that.

She is not a quitter.

The conservative propaganda people have decided to target her for a multitude of reasons not the least of which is its a good distraction from whatever the republican party is doing wrong at the moment. They know their fan base is easily distracted and a black woman doing something for herself is perfect news fodder.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Or it could be that a lot of people don't like quitters. Grim determination goes a long way in building respect.
Personally, I don't care. She had a bad day, decided she couldn't cut it, and quit. That's her right, it's her decision to make. I have to assume she considered the effort and cost of making it to the Olympics, and decided quitting was the best answer.

It's a sad that she'll always be remembered as the one that gave up. That decision, right or wrong, is the difference between being remembered as a hero, or a zero.

She lost the ability to tell where she was in the air, like a gymnastics version of the yips where you start thinking too much. This isn't like Chuck Knoblach getting the yips and oh he throws the ball five feet and the runner is safe at first and maybe he costs his team the game but still drives home to his wife and kids after. You get that in the air twisting in a vault or on the uneven bars or something and lose your ability to track where you are and you're liable to break your fucking neck and paralyze yourself when you hit the ground.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Don’t you mean Andrew Luck??

Just gonna hang this out there…

Luck isn’t the best example to support the common opinion expressed in this thread, which is that Biles is being criticized because she’s female and/or black. Luck quit because of repeated physical injuries , not emotional distress. But Luck was nonetheless called a pussy by some commentators over it. And he’s white, and male.

Reactions: Lezunto

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
She lost the ability to tell where she was in the air, like a gymnastics version of the yips where you start thinking too much. This isn't like Chuck Knoblach getting the yips and oh he throws the ball five feet and the runner is safe at first and maybe he costs his team the game but still drives home to his wife and kids after. You get that in the air twisting in a vault or on the uneven bars or something and lose your ability to track where you are and you're liable to break your fucking neck and paralyze yourself when you hit the ground.

I’d hazard to guess that most righties fail to see people as actual human beings. It’s why they typically are against policies that help people until they experience the need themselves for such policies.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Luck isn’t the best example to support the common opinion expressed in this thread, which is that Biles is being criticized because she’s female and/or black. Luck quit because of repeated physical injuries , not emotional distress. But Luck was nonetheless called a pussy by some commentators over it. And he’s white, and male.

Oh for sure, he caught instant flack, especially from the fans at LucasOil stadium.

I was referring to a particular news outlet whose editorial board was entirely in Luck’s favor.