why is the discover card not accepted in so many places?

Omegachi

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2001
is it that much trouble for merchants to accept them? i like my discover card a lot, more than my master and visa. IMO the discover card has the best customer service and the best user friendly website, and furthermore, one of the best cashback card out there (5% back on special promotions once every qtr. eg, movies, resturants, travel).

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Because they charge the vendor a higher percentage per transaction.

This reminds me of one of my favorite scenes in Futurama:

Fry: $30? I can't afford that. Unless... Do you take Visa?
Salesman: Visa hasn't existed for 500 years.
Fry: American Express?
Salesman: 600 years.
Fry: Discover card?
Salesman: Sorry we don't take Discover

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Fritzo

lol

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: HybridSquirrel

lol

one of those "ah sh!t..no they didin't..AHAHAHAH" lines from such a great show:heart:

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

lol

one of those "ah sh!t..no they didin't..AHAHAHAH" lines from such a great show:heart:

I looled.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Auric
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

lol

I looled.

i don't know anyone who didn't :D

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003

:laugh:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Besides Sears and Sams Club, I do not know any other retail places around here that are taking Discovery.

BTW, I never has and not planning to have one. Never feel the need for it even Discovery are sending mail to my house every month.

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
I heard somethng from an employee at a previous job, that VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover charge transaction fees. I beleve my friend said AE and Discover charge like 5.5% whereas VISA and MC charge like 3% or something like that. Knowing this, I assume Discover is more costly or has more contract stipulations than the others with their clients.

Additionally, my mom has such difficulties using her Discover Card.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
It has something to do with Visa and Mastercard doing something so it's hard for American Express and Discover to get in on it too. It may be the transaction fees but I'm not sure.

gingerstewart55

Sep 12, 2007
Originally posted by: ChAoTiCpInOy
It has something to do with Visa and Mastercard doing something so it's hard for American Express and Discover to get in on it too. It may be the transaction fees but I'm not sure.

No it doesn't. It's simply that Discover charges higher transaction fees and not all merchant banks handle Discover cards, while all merchant banks/clearing houses handle Visa and MC. AE is not handled by a lot of places because the green card, the original AE card, won't pay the merchant until the person who made the charge pays AE, that and their higher trans. fees, too.

When a merchant loses 2.8% of every transaction done through a credit card, merchants begin to be very sensitive to what cards give the better deals....and the trans. fee rates are set by the merchant bank/clearing house. One bank will give better fees than another.....but not handle all cards, so you see some places handle Discover, some not.

MC and Visa have nothing to do with trying to keep Discover out of the picture.......Discover is doing that quite well on their own.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Discover definitely has good customer service. I've only switched to CitiCard because they started offering the same 1% / 5% thing (but have dropped since). I haven't yet switched back because not everyone does take Discover. Merchants know everyone has at least a MC/Visa so they're not losing out on a customer.

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
Discover works in China like their UnionPay, about the only time I used it. Though my local mall was running a promo where you got a $20 card if you spent $200 on your discover card in the mall, nice 10% discount there.

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
Kohl's takes Discover. I have a Visa Debit and then when I get a real job I'll worry about getting a real credit card.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Svnla
Besides Sears and Sams Club, I do not know any other retail places around here that are taking Discovery.

BTW, I never has and not planning to have one. Never feel the need for it even Discovery are sending mail to my house every month.

Discovery? This is a CC, not a tv station.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Almost all of the online retailers take Discover, so I don't have a problem with it there.

Forget using a Discover card at most restaurants, though! I've given up asking, since the answer is usually NO.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Svnla

Hey Grandpa, it's Discover. :D

I say that because they must cater to older people, and every old person I talk to on the phone wants to use their Discovery card. Why do they add a Y to it?

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
After the lawsuit with Visa/Mastercard discover released a product called discover network which if vendors purchase it will work with all credit cards for one rate.

The amount of vendors taking Discover has increased a lot in the last few years. They also partnered with China Bill Pay so they've got all of China's debit patronage