Why is Terraria so popular?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I don't get this game.

Not because of its graphics (I love retro stuff like FTL & Bindings of Isaac)
Not because of its indie feel (I love indie stuff)
Not because it's open world (I love open world games like Skyrim)

Because I found it incredibly mundane and needlessly time-consuming. It's just not high-paced enough for me. And I LOVE taking the time to absorb everything in the game... like just soaking it in doing nothing in Skyrim.

This game just offers too little for its time. Sandbox is good, but that doesn't mean it should be completely purposeless. And it's WAY TOO slow paced.

If you enjoy it, great. I'm just voicing my opinion that it's not for me.

have to agree, came here as I too was wondering what I'm missing. I do think after minecraft (which i enjoyed), there has been a huge glut of "me too" games like it.. and it starts to just be overdone (like FPS are currently). No problem with people who enjoy it.. hell I liked BulletWitch.. we all like different things.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
have to agree, came here as I too was wondering what I'm missing. I do think after minecraft (which i enjoyed), there has been a huge glut of "me too" games like it.. and it starts to just be overdone (like FPS are currently). No problem with people who enjoy it.. hell I liked BulletWitch.. we all like different things.

It shares elements with Minecraft, but they are not similar. I jumped into Terraria expecting Minecraft and was initially disappointed, but when I took off my Minecraft shades I discovered a very fun game that is different.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I couldn't stand that damn game.

launch a coaster into the lake or create some hilariously dizzying rides and watch everyone throw up after the ride before you say that. I think the funnest part about that game was not making a successful park, but about how much you can fuck around with people on the amusement rides.

boomshard

Oct 14, 2013
I've actually been wondering the same thing. I saw a lot of people talking about it on Reddit before the most recent update went live, so I looked at a couple videos and wasn't all that impressed.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
well good news to all the people on the fence! its 75% off on steam currently, so if youve got $2.50 to blow on a chance, give it a go!

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I am completely addicted to this game right now. I just found enough Adamantite to craft a second set of armor for my daughter, and went and killed enough pixies to build her some fairy wings. She is 8 and it is a lot of fun to play with her. One thing to say to people who haven't gone there yet, Hard Mode is indeed really hard. Without the best non-Hardmode gear, you will die early and often. Even with it, you will die relatively often, because you probably won't be used to enemies being able to hurt you so badly by that point.

The main reason the game is so addicting to me is that there is always something to progress to. There is always that better carrot to get. And once you get it you want to try it out. Then get the next better thing now that you are strong enough to try, and the cycle continues.

Last edited:

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I don't get this game.

Not because of its graphics (I love retro stuff like FTL & Bindings of Isaac)
Not because of its indie feel (I love indie stuff)
Not because it's open world (I love open world games like Skyrim)

Because I found it incredibly mundane and needlessly time-consuming. It's just not high-paced enough for me. And I LOVE taking the time to absorb everything in the game... like just soaking it in doing nothing in Skyrim.

This game just offers too little for its time. Sandbox is good, but that doesn't mean it should be completely purposeless. And it's WAY TOO slow paced.

If you enjoy it, great. I'm just voicing my opinion that it's not for me.

The thing is, Terraria isn't purposeless. There are goals, milestones, bosses, and an endgame (more or less). You just didn't get far enough in to see them.

I can understand people not liking it however, no game will appeal to everyone. It is slow to get started, but once you get going things start to get much more interesting.

Last edited:

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I tried the PS3 demo and it didn't appeal to me. I made it through the tutorial so it was interesting *enough*, but I know it isn't something I want to do for hours. I can see how people like it though.

Patre

May 29, 2013
I am completely addicted to this game right now. I just found enough Adamantite to craft a second set of armor for my daughter, and went and killed enough pixies to build her some fairy wings. She is 8 and it is a lot of fun to play with her. One thing to say to people who haven't gone there yet, Hard Mode is indeed really hard. Without the best non-Hardmode gear, you will die early and often. Even with it, you will die relatively often, because you probably won't be used to enemies being able to hurt you so badly by that point.

The main reason the game is so addicting to me is that there is always something to progress to. There is always that better carrot to get. And once you get it you want to try it out. Then get the next better thing now that you are strong enough to try, and the cycle continues.

Good to know Matimus. I also have a young daughter (7) I plan on playing this game with (haven't installed it yet). We both enjoy playing Fez together and I'm hoping this will have the same result.

I'd like to thank el-Capitan for gifting me this game :thumbsup:.....your generosity is greatly appreciated sir. :)