Why is Terraria so popular?

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
I'm about to purchase this game on Steam, but why is it so popular? What's so good about it? I just watched the trailer and it doesn't really give me the WOW factor. Nevertheless I'm still going to buy it.

I'm assuming it's a fun game. Why is it fun? Also, how does multiplayer mode work?

Just curious. :)

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
It's a lot of fun to explore with friends. It's a little bit of Minecraft curiosity, exploration, discovery, and creativity mixed with some good old fashioned platforming arcade action mixed with some fun RPG and crafting elements.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
yep. its really good. exploring the world for the first time... and promptly dying, again and again and again while you figure things out. but really, the early game is great digging and exploring everything under the surface.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
yep. its really good. exploring the world for the first time... and promptly dying, again and again and again while you figure things out. but really, the early game is great digging and exploring everything under the surface.

and then later when you realize that you can build up... and find things...

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I tried again yesterday to play this. I last until I created a crafting bench. Then I lost all interest. I think it's too tedious for me.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I tried again yesterday to play this. I last until I created a crafting bench. Then I lost all interest. I think it's too tedious for me.

... a Work Bench is like 10 wood, you can get that within seconds of playing the game. :|

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
Terraria is like super fun. If you're into exploration, fighting and loot whoring. If you aren't then you probably won't have fun. It's only really as tedious as you want it to be. You can pretty much just blaze through the game if you want, or you can farm items and meticulously build kick ass houses and tunnels. It's got Minecraft freedom with just enough structure to keep you engaged. That's what I like.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013

You don't have to craft anything. Run around in the world and collect stuff. You'll find random weapons and armor if you explore well enough.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I just can't get past the graphics of some of today's popular games. Terreria, Minecraft, Ace of Spades, Fez, etc......what the hell is up with all these Atari 2600-looking games?

I must be missing "something" because all these games are popular. I guess retro is in and I'm just too old to get it.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
I just can't get past the graphics of some of today's popular games. Terreria, Minecraft, Ace of Spades, Fez, etc......what the hell is up with all these Atari 2600-looking games?

I must be missing "something" because all these games are popular. I guess retro is in and I'm just too old to get it.

Games are about having fun, not how they look. If you can't get past graphics, then you're probably one of those mindless COD/BF players who pays $60-$70 (or $135 now for COD) for the same fucking game they've been playing for 5 years.

The games you list require an imagination.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I bought it a while ago and it was pretty cool. I got to like a first boss and it was super difficult and after dying a few times I stopped playing.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
it's particularly popular now because the latest update was recently released (1.2), which added A TON of new content to the game. personally, i've been really enjoying it - it feels like a much more complete game now than it did in 1.1.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I don't get this game.

Not because of its graphics (I love retro stuff like FTL & Bindings of Isaac)
Not because of its indie feel (I love indie stuff)
Not because it's open world (I love open world games like Skyrim)

Because I found it incredibly mundane and needlessly time-consuming. It's just not high-paced enough for me. And I LOVE taking the time to absorb everything in the game... like just soaking it in doing nothing in Skyrim.

This game just offers too little for its time. Sandbox is good, but that doesn't mean it should be completely purposeless. And it's WAY TOO slow paced.

If you enjoy it, great. I'm just voicing my opinion that it's not for me.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
the beginning is slow. once you start getting better gear, things heat up. The Dungeon is where things really start to get crazy with piles of enemies.

Want frantic? go smash some shadow orbs in the corruption and fight off a goblin army.

i havent even hit hardmode yet, and things get a little crazy while im plowing through the corruption or the jungle at top speed.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
For me once I got the grapple hook the pace really changed. Before I'd have to dig out nice tunnels that I could navigate on foot, now I just swing around like Spiderman not giving a damn lol.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Games are about having fun, not how they look. If you can't get past graphics, then you're probably one of those mindless COD/BF players who pays $60-$70 (or $135 now for COD) for the same fucking game they've been playing for 5 years.

The games you list require an imagination.

Yes. And that's my point. If I'm paying someone money to entertain me, why should I have to use MY imagination to fill in the visual picture?

I don't consider myself a "mindless" player although I admit I have played CoD1 and BFBC2 and thought they were awesome games.

I'm playing Trine right now and enjoying the hell out of it. What a beautiful, fun, engaging game. I don't need to use my imagination to get sucked into the Trine world....the developers did it for me with great art style, beatiful graphics, fun game play and attention to detail. And that's the way it should be.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I feel bad for any game you try to play that has an opening cinematic or tutorial :\

Why, I haven't had any issues with those.

I think it's the whole "here's a sandbox, use your imagination" thing that I don't care for. I don't need hand-holding or linear gameplay, per se, but those don't necessarily bother me as much as many other gamers. I can do an open world game, but there has to be a story behind it. I'm not much of a sandbox player. Remember, I'm an accountant. We see in black and white, and aren't very creative. :p

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Yes. And that's my point. If I'm paying someone money to entertain me, why should I have to use MY imagination to fill in the visual picture?

This is how I feel. We don't pay to watch movies or read books to fill in story with our imagination. Why would we do the same with games?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
This is how I feel. We don't pay to watch movies or read books to fill in story with our imagination. Why would we do the same with games?

The fun is in the exploration. Not everyone likes games that are basically movies with some button pressing thrown in.

If you don't like sandbox games, it's probably best to not play sandbox games...

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'm like CPA -- I find games like Terraria and Minecraft incredibly boring playing by myself. None of my friends play PC gaming, so I'm stuck with AT'ers and people I meet through Steam as my gaming friends. :(

I might change my mind if I tried them with online players. Somebody hit me up to play!

Love "open world" games like GTA or Farcry 3, but not "sandbox" games.