Why is my snake plant going limp?

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
I have a snake plant in my apartment, it's about 5 years older than me, so it's about 30. It's not dead or dying really. But the leaves don't stand erect, and haven't for a couple years, they just flop out to the sides. It's really a pain in the ass, as if I have it on a table the leaves lay down all over the table. It's not over-watered, and not dead or dying. What gives?

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
Being limp probably means that it's too dry.

really? I thought snake plants only needed watering every few weeks? It's not wilting, it's just limp. It's like it can't stay stiff for some reason

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
It might be root bound.

Remove from pot, get slightly larger pot - if root bound, break up roots with fork. Don't be afraid of hurting it. Use some fresh potting soil (not fertilizer, or you'll burn it!). Mist off the leaves when you're done so they're nice and clean, helps with respiration. Put it in front of filtered sunlight (not direct).

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: SagaLore
It might be root bound.

Remove from pot, get slightly larger pot - if root bound, break up roots with fork. Don't be afraid of hurting it. Use some fresh potting soil (not fertilizer, or you'll burn it!). Mist off the leaves when you're done so they're nice and clean, helps with respiration. Put it in front of filtered sunlight (not direct).

thanks! i'll have to try that