Why don't more African Americans play Hockey?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 27, 2005
Because the vast majority of little league hockey and college hockey is played in the northern states (ND, SD, MN, AK, WI, ME, etc) and Canuckistan. The percentage of the population that is black in those areas is fairly small.

There may also be a cultural bias toward other sports as well.

Or maybe they feel that white guys should have one sport they can think they're good at?

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: blinky8225
It's an expensive sport to play. Skates, stick, ice rink time aren't cheap. The fact is blacks as a group tend to have a lower socioeconomic status than other races.

There's not much encouragement either from their peers. There has been success promoting lacrosse recently in Harlem, though. Charitable programs such as that would be a good start.

This is correct. Also, I would add that since blacks don't come from cold weather climates, they didn't evolve for living in the cold.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Around here, elementary schools had the most basic sports programs - baseball/softball, football, basketball... My school system was in the city, but was cut out of the main city school system. Our school system also had a far smaller black population, just due to where it was cut out.
Now, now that I'm out of school, it is easier to find soccer and other sports programs. But programs not a part of the school tend to require full equipment coverage on your own, versus little had to be owned when starting in a school-provided sport.

So, in my schools, black athletes were really spread basically evenly across the sports, until high school where football was the biggest one, but our basketball team was rather evenly split. Baseball, I don't know about our baseball program... it was pretty political and run in a way I didn't approve of. I had a bad showing when trying out (injuries), plus I wasn't from the elementary school that the best players were from (their school always kicked our ass)... but regardless, I knew a lot of people bailed that and went to other leagues outside the school. But I digress...

money and popularity tend to be the factors. That and location. The Northern states, where hockey is more common with youth due to local ponds freezing and whatnot, tend to have a smaller black demographic. It seems most black hockey players are from the Northern states, and they might be from better schools with hockey programs, or just got interested in it due to hanging out, with well... likely white kids playing hockey. It's far from a popular sport amongst the demographic to be honest.

A lot of factors go into it like I mentioned... geography, school sports programs, who kids hang out with and what they like... it's not entirely an issue of race, however the way the racial demographics play out with the aforementioned factors all comes together. Nothing racist about it, it's just how things have come together. Little things here and there end up playing a big part in shaping an individual's interests. There are also the ones that break away against all common logic out of pure curiosity, but those are very few and far between. The others are just products of their surroundings.
Just like you have a few people who grow up in the ghetto and surrounded by the thug life, and eventually break away and make something for themselves, while the majority continues to live according to their surroundings.

DomS

Banned
Jul 15, 2008
the extra tendon in their scrotums don't help them skate better, only jump and run better.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: CrazyLazy
For fuck's sake, it's BLACK.

I find that offensive.

African American is offensive.

Most black people in the world don't come from Africa, and of the ones that do most are not American. Even then, the term shouldn't assume skin color. Charlize Theron is African American.

As is Dave Matthews.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Steve

I find that offensive.

Most black people in the world don't come from Africa, and of the ones that do most are not American. Even then, the term shouldn't assume skin color. Charlize Theron is African American.

As is Dave Matthews.

Teresa Heinz too... (John "I served in Vietnam" Kerry's wife)

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

I find that offensive.

Also there are millions of white Africans.

JDub02

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2002
I am now going to list my race as Pennsylvanian-American.

Blacks don't play hockey because we import all of our hockey players from Russia, eastern Europe, and Canada. No black people there.

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
LOL @ white folks getting offended by the phrase African American/Black/Burned Toast. I'm "African American" and I couldn't give a shit...

And for the record, I also don't give a shit when someone calls me awesome dude' or whatever either. Now where's my fried chicken at?

(I guess it helps since I'm half white I can tolerate it more...*shrug*)

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Glitchny
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
Originally posted by: dbk
Because they can play the other sports and make way more money

NHL players make more money than NFL players...

no, they dont. Hockey is a much smaller market and pays their players much less than the average football player.

And now that I've said that somebody will probably post a link showing the most payed hockey player vs some 3rd string football lineman to try and prove me wrong. But in general Football and even baseball players make LOTS more money than Hockey players.

edit.... so looking at the information i found it seems the avg hockey player does get payed more than a football player. However there are more players on a football team so I dunno how the averages work out.

$770,000 for the average NFL player, 1.1mil for the average NHL player

Much more money to be made as an NHL player, especially if you consider that you can be released at any time in the NFL.

Its hard to compare tho because of the salary cap structure of the NFL.

Either way, theres plenty of money to be made.